ARGO

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Has anybody considered building the battleship ARGO? (also known as Space Battleship Yamato) How would you arm it? For that matter, how would you propel it?

2. Kotori87

If somebody showed up at the pond with an armed model of the ARGO, would you object to having a spaceship on your team?

PS: this is purely hypothetical, I'm not planning on building one any time soon.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you'll let me use a 12guage Remington 11-87 shotgun as the Wave-motion gun, I'll build it.

For those who haven't seen Space Cruiser Yamato (Star Blazers in the USA), the wave motion gun is a great huge spinal mount weapon that blows up whatever it hits.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey I would like to see that!!!

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

A long time ago out of US BOAT&SHIP MODELER there was a photo of the ARGO running around on the pond. It was about 5ft long. Be cool just to see one of those running around in 1/144 scale.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I've seen pix of these argo things... What exactly are they? Where have they come from?

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

From an anime style cartoon. I would enjoy simply seeing a completed model, much less a combat style of one.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have a link I can get you a side by side outboard profile of YAMATO AND ARGO. Argo is the North American name for the space ship but in Japan it is the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO.
    Basically the story goes like this. The inhabitants of the Earth are attacked by an alien race who wish to take over the planet. They bombard the planet with a plague that destroys all life. The EARTH'S oceans dry up and the inhabitants move underground to survive. Deep beneath the ocean floor within the mantle of the Earth's crust a secret project is underway to develop a weapon that can be used to fight back but there is no way to get it to the enemy and stop them.The old YAMATO hull is seen sticking out of the ceiling of the ocean dried up bed and a plan is made to remove the ship from the rock and rebuild it to be able to carry the weapon and convert the ship into a space ship. The ship would be capable of atmospheric flight, space flight, surface sailing and submersible sailing. The ship's main weapon is the WAVE MOTION GUN, mounted in a large chamber a third of the length of the ship from the bow back to midships basically. Once released a gigantic plasma wave oblitereates anything within it's path and there is no defence against it. Also the main turrets and secondaries can fire plasa streams for attack and defence. THE BOTTOM OF THE STERN has a gantry hatch where small attack aircraft or spacecraft are launched as fighters or other. The ship also can magnetize it's hull and collect space debris such as small asteriods or meteors and form a giant protective ring around the hull. This ring can be manipulative to block incoming fire from enemy ships or other destructive phenomom. The ship has thrusters and a very large single engine in the stern a dominate feature. THere are wings that fold out from the midships wateline for flight and there are large pods that protrude from teh bottom of the ship. The ship's interior has moving "sidewalk" to allow rapid movement within the ships compartments. The ship's bridge is very large and 3 levels. The Captain has an observation deck reserved for him at the top of the bridge tower. The Captain's name is CAPTAIN AVATAR. The next CAPTAIN would be the hero of the show who in the 2nd season takes over after CAPTAIN AVATAR dies in the first season. His name is "WILDSTAR".

So ARGO is the YAMATO turned into a space battleship or in JAPAN a space cruiser.

nuff said.

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Aeeei. Sounds... subtitled.

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

Wow. Never knew. Never knew you knew. lol It's interesting but I think I would lose interest after the convert the old hull.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have had the model and buddy that's what got me interested in the Yamato. It's a gorgeous ship and really really cool.

12. Kotori87

I think it'd be fun to have an alternate superstructure you could stick atop a regular Yamato hull to make it look like the space battleship. Then all you have to do is put on the Star Blazers theme, and Yamato becomes invincible and all your enemies are doomed to be sink every time you say "fire the wave-motion gun!"

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

Did they refit Shinano too? Mushashi?

14. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Hmm... To move it? How about have a spectater stand on a raft with the model on a string and swing it around and try and hit another ship...... ?

15. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Remember, every time they fired the wave motion gun, it left them dead in space for 15 minutes, completely out of power. Not really good when there are multiple enemies to be dealt with....

16. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

You could just make it a r/c airplane type thing and try to run into another ship

17. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Yea. But it destroyed everything that was in the beams way. It did not matter if it sat there for 15 minutes

18. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Wow I miss that show, I used to love watching it as a kid. It inspired me to build a lot of planes and ships...

19. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I have season 1 on dvd haha.

20. t_josef

t_josef Member

I remember that show. I used to crack up, I had a friend that lived in Japan that could sing the opening song in Japanese...

I forgot about the rock shield/ring.

At the end of each show was a countdown....224 days left to save the earth. And they would zoom out with Avatar on the bridge...