ARGO

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Jan 18, 2007.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

You would not give Srarbuck from Battle Star Gallectica a chance at that vent. On the Death Star. Would love to see the wave motion gun hit that thing and see the results. Do not forget the Planet eater on Star Trek. How about that thing that destroyed that planet in the Second Trek movie with Khan? [?] Ramble.Ramble.

2. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Found the rules and the link. Go to freewargamerules. Go to the sci fi section. Scroll down and you will find it. There are 4-5 Full Thrust hits. Have your printer ink up and some extra cartridges handy.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Id definitly say Star wars, not only do you have shields and jedi, but also the SuperStarDestrpyer, the one with the superlaser that can crack through a planet's crust.

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Genesis. Convert the Death Star to a garden planet. Though a very short lived one.

It always seemed to me that the Death Star was easy to mission kill. An old Romulan Warbird could do it.

5. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Yes> In Star Blazers in the later series it wasn't just the Argo that had this weapon. A bunch of earth ships had them. I looked it up in my Tech Manual to verify. This is nuts what we are talking about.

6. klibben

klibben Member

Haha, I was just about to say the same.

Although I can't really argue in this debate - my only experience is with Star Wars, all the others bored me immediately.

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Star Wars was action all the time. Not much of a plot. Star Trek,Babalyon 5,Gallectica,and Star Blazers are in my opinion,SCI-FI soap operas with space combat thrown in. Star Blazers is in between this.

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Exactly, thats what made it interesting. And it had a plot, not much of one, but one. the expanded universe provided a plot

9. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Yea. I remember the first one and what a novelty in filming it was in the late 70s. Primitive now.

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I just went to U tube and what do I find? Johny Horton singing Sink the Bismark with the Argo and Star Blazer video as background. This is nuts. Wish I could put it in this thread.

11. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

You can. Copy and paste the URL into the message box, like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_m8Gx-FaE

If you can remember some code, it's possible to make it look just like regular link in a web page, but that's not necessary at all. I think everyone might enjoy watching a movie made by a video mash-up artist, combining a wide variety of sci-fi movies into a single movie of his own. It's called Invasion: The Battle For Earth.
    teaser
    trailer
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    part 5
    part 6.0
    part 6.5
    part 6.5.2 (finale)

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Just found this: here's why they had to kill all the Jedi before building the Death Star.

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Thank you

14. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Very good!

15. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

So when do we start building. I want the Gamlon star fling saucer ship with fighters

16. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

The FIRST Anime style cartoon with a real plot, a long story arc and some pretty decent character development. Also the source of the plots for last season of ST: Enterprise and the largely the source of the entire Babylon5: Crusade series (which wasn't done as well as Yamato/Star Blazers, go figure). :) It was more popular than Star Wars in Japan by a long shot. For the last decade or so, it's been stuck in legal hell for who actually owns it, but there is new Yamato stuff coming still.

Oddly enough, it's surprising how well those have held up. It's still a good series to watch, even though I'm now nearly 30 years older? The animation isn't great compared to today, but is awesome compared to the other junk from the 1970's. I've got all three series on DVD. Still need to pick the box set of movies up. A series set in space, on a totally rebuilt ocean going battleship, that got me into Naval History, and then later into this hobby. Funny how that works. :)

17. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Your 30 and I am 56 and I love it too.

18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

30 years older, which puts his age well above 30. That makes you both old farts, but that OK, because I think Dan was the one who first mentioned Starblazers to me and allowed me to enjoy Uchuu Senkan Yamato.

19. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

So I am an old fart. Why you young whipper snapper. You will get yours.

20. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

That's a current 38 to your 56 Dan. :) It's funny but when this comes up on the various forums/list, it's kinda surprising how much of a contributing force that series was in the later involvement of people into this hobby.

I've got the movie "Final Yamato" which is subtitled with the theme song intact which I've watched a couple of times. It's funny when there is some quiet dialog, and I'm turning up the volume. Can only understand the odd word, and I'm relying on the subtitles, but still turning up the volume for quiet dialog. Anyone else done that?

Yeah, once someone started up with "Unchu Senkan Yamato", I've now got the theme song in Japanese stuck in my head. Can't understand very much, but it's a good theme song nonetheless to have stuck in my noggin. :) But nonetheless, I'll come looking for you, all of you that mentioned it for getting that stuck back in my head. ;) heheheh