Armored Cruiser St Louis - IRCWCC

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by McSpuds, Jul 14, 2015.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

After running the Evstafi at NATS this year, I am beginning to really like these smaller ships. Jeff has twisted my arm again, and is forcing me to build two St Louis Cruisers. These are some really nice looking ships.

So here wego..... Josh, fetch my beer!

Laying out the frames for cutting on the scroll saw. I am using aircraft grade 1/4" ply. Some ribs will be filed down to 1/8" in a couple of places, but I still prefer to use 1/4" at first.

[​IMG]

...and after cutting the outside, I stop here so I can lay out the caprail and upper deck piece.
    I dont like using the plans for the top cap because they normally are not symmetrical.

[​IMG]

I will draw out a center line the length of the ship deck, then mark all the frame locations with a square. Then I double check the width with the actual frame and adjust if need be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I have the frames marked and checked, it is time to outline the top cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I take a piece of clear lexan, and trace the contour so I can transfer this exact shape to the other side, thus giving me a very nice symmetrical hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is where I had to mark out a couple of the casements that hang over the side a little....

[​IMG]

Bow has a couple as well as the stern as well...

[​IMG]

Now time to cut out the top cap, or rail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more final check of the frames before cutting out the inside shapes and notches.

[​IMG]

Here you can see where I had to move the frame back just a little. You want to insure the frame comes to the edge of the rail on the "long" side and hangs over a little. This over hang will be sanded off later when I shape the frames before planking her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I nice little jig I made to scribe notches of different sizes...

[​IMG]

Here you see the area I darkened. This is where I will be cutting the inside. Also a notch close to the top for the casement stringer....

[​IMG]

Here is the frames layed out and the water channel being fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I will finish the bow keel and then fill in the bottom with balsa....

Stay tuned.

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Already looking pretty

Tugboat likes this.
  3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

McSpuds is a MACHINE! Looking great so far, can't wait to see it in action next year (hopefully!).

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Beautiful start Spudsy. Can't wait to see it "dazzling" on the water! :)

[​IMG]

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Excellent work! One thing though, Saint Louis was a protected cruiser, not an armored cruiser.

7. absolutek

I believe it was probably classified as an armoured cruiser on the shiplist due to the heavy weight of the ship which is more like an armoured cruiser than a protected cruiser.

8. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Armored cruisers had side armor belts (Hence the name armored cruiser), protected cruisers had sloped armor decks (Like a turtle shell at the ends and sides). There were also unprotected curisers, but they weren't often constructed past 1900. These classifications date from the 1870s to 1880s or so, and fell out of use in the 1920s. St. Louis fits well in the Armored Cruiser category, with 4" side armor.

Ron Hunt

absolutek and Anachronus like this.
  9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I whole heartedly support the construction of new Armored Cruisers. They are the most sublime of vessels.

absolutek likes this.
  10. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Update:
    Life.gif

What is possibly the worlds first turbine-driven (brushless outrunner) Armored Cruiser passed all operational tests today. Drives, pump, solenoids, and rudder all functioned perfectly by radio control! Remaining to do: Seal wood, superstructure (what there is of it), skin & paint

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Scharnhorst56 and Lou like this.
  11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The IJN beat you to the turbine driven ACR. But I can't wait to see your St. Louis in action.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Oh, Jeffy, you just missed being the first brushless outrunner-driven ACR... by 2 or 3 years. Lil Scharnie sends her brushless-driven love to your new baby :)

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ok....United States' first turbine-powered ACR.

Anachronus likes this.
  14. Tugboat

:) You know that you still love me, Jeffy... :)

We shall have glorious revolution of WWI ships on the pond, da?! DA!

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

USS St. Louis & USS Spudinator / RHN Kilkis received their final sealing coats of varnish today, along w/ secondary turrets (for the PDN) and ventilator hoods. Remaining to do: Skin, Paint, put to sea to bring DOOM UPON THE AXIS. Or at least, bring some beer to Georgia :D.

16. Tugboat

Did Spudsy have enough pieces of 2" long wire to splice together to make you an electrical system? :) :) If you need more, I've got some on the floor of the shop when you get down here!

froggyfrenchman likes this.
  17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Both ships received hull skins today. Paint scheme will be USN standard circa 1920's. St Louis will have to wait for it's "Razzle-dazzle" paint until after Statesboro.

18. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I installed a anti-gremlin device inside the hull today. If we keep the ship away from the Badd"en, we might be able to mitigate the Gremlin Damage....

NickMyers likes this.
  19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

After Action Report:

USS St. Louis (C-20) saw action for the first time in Statesboro this past weekend with mixed results:
    The Good:
    1. More than enough prop / motor (had to dial throttle endpoints to about 55% to get on speed)
    2. The two (casemated) bow guns hit the water about 4" in front of the bow, so the tactic of driving in toward the side of the enemy and firing while closing seems to work well
    3. Casemate's deflected a bunch of hits
    4. Gun systems worked well
    5. After doing a quick reprogramming after 1st sortie, drive systems worked great
    The Bad:
    1. Ship was a little tippy. Will be easily corrected as still almost 2 lbs under max weight
    2. Turning radius was only fair. Will experiment with different rudder setups, but may have to re-position prop shafts (currently parallel) to put more wash over rudder
    3. Deck hold-downs. Need to figure out a better way to lock down super.
    Overall very happy with my U.S. ACR. Now all I need to do is finish my SMS Scharney.....

Anachronus and NASAAN101 like this.
  20. absolutek