Armoured Cruiser build weekend at Tug's shop 26/27 July 2014

Discussion in 'Steampunk Flotilla' started by Tugboat, Jul 7, 2014.

1. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

2nd what Mike said....these designs are for ease-of-build for anyone to download the plans and put together themselves. The only time I foresee one of these being mailed would be someone selling their own boat sometime down the line. Good bit of advice for anyone looking to go commercial w/ any boat project, but I don't think it's applicable here. Really appreciate the input, tho! Keep it coming!!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It's not applicable here. The stringer is cut from the 1/4" ply and 48" is plenty. I will grant that I came up 1/4" short on the overall length because the plywood sheet was 1/4" short, but this could be compensated for one of two ways: 1) skew the pattern on the plywood a few degrees and you've got 48", or 2) glue a 1/4" scrap to the bow or stern and fair it in. I'm doing option 2, quick and easy.

3. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    Here is an image of my predred. experiment. It was a challange to upload this image but I managed to get it done. I will have more details after I recovered my patience with uploading images.
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I think the image file you posted is too big. Best to load it to a hosting site and just post the link here

5. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

**sign**
    Since I have Tugboat's physical address, I will print out a picture and use USPS to show that said vessel exists. Perhaps someone with Voodoo power can upload the image if they choose.
    Technology; is the slippery rock religion; delight in the fall.
    Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, 1983
    :confused:
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

What I yam is what I yam..... Popeye
    What I am is what I am....Edie Brickell

7. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I beat up Paul Simon - Edie Brickell

8. Tugboat

So the attendance roster so far is:
    Other Jeff L
    Astrosaint
    Gascan (2 boats)

Anyone else planning to attend, please let me know as I will be buying the wood and marking the outlines this weekend... And getting a head start on cutting out the ribs, of which there will be MANY.

Anyone who has changed their mind, please let me know, because I don't need to buy too much wood. We will be starting around 10AM on Saturday, 26 JULY 2014. We will take a break for lunch, and work till about 4 or 5 depending on how things go. We'll start about the same time on Sunday, maybe a little earlier, and people can depart when they please, I know some will have nice drives to make.

I strongly recommend that people stay in hotels, my wife will NOT let me leave the house unlocked overnight and there aren't any porta-johns.

9. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I will be there dear Tuggy!

9 hr drive for a build session...... "The Mighty Obsession!" :rolleyes:

10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

There is a chance I may not be available one of those days. I still intend to be there as much as possible.

11. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    I wish you would not go. It is so far. wife--7/10
    OK, just leave the Jeep here. It burns way to much gas. wife--7/17
    It seems I can go.
    :laugh:
    One Concern: My better half is determined to hunt Tug down in the event I am crushed by one of his WWI ships during my visit. She has already declared us possessed with obsession.:p
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

She hadn't seen obsession yet... LOL Wait till you have 8 or 9 boats in various levels of construction, strung up from the basement ceiling. The two car garage is full of shop equipment. The basement is converted to a shop (because the winter is too cold for the garage and the summer is too hot) oh, but the bigger tools still need to remain in the garage.. Not to mention a 220 gallon acrylic tank for test floating.... Oh an there is not a wall in the basement shop not coverent with a set of plans... They make great wall paper! Stack s of wood, and several shelves full of "spare" parts and building supplies. Plus she has to endure your habit of stopping at every garage sale because you are looking for more tools... oh and not to forget she has to stop on road trips, at every pond in site to see if they will provide a good place to battle. The smell of resin or dope in the early morning is great too, especially when the smell hangs around the house for over a week... she will love that one! I could go on and on..... :woot:

You should have been in my livingroom yesterday evening when the new VDT hull came in the mail... I forgot the wife was home.... never, never bring in new stuff to the house. Always put a little dust on it first... this way when the wife asks you where did that come from? You can say, it's been here a while, "as you blow off the dust" :rolleyes:

13. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Do I see a need for a "sneak it by the Admiral" add-on package from Strike? Bill to Morgret Enterprises, packing slip includes mention about this is a repair/exchange, good amount of dust on the hull, and so on.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I just throw every new box in the garage to season for a while

15. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Tuggy, Jeff has talked me into ordering a prop and shaft, so it looks like I will be building one as well.

Do I need to bring wood? If so, how much, and what thickness?
    Do you need me to bring down my scroll saw or other tools? Do you have a small drill press there?

16. Tugboat

I was going to buy it here and get it pre-marked for cutting, but if you want to bring your own, you'll need a 4'x4', 1/4" thick sheet of plywood, and 3/4" thick ply or white wood, 4" wide by 4' long. If you are buying your own, let me know before I buy it for you. I priced it at Lowes and wood for one cruiser should run about $20-30-ish.

17. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    Since the wife said no to the jeep, I am glad Tugboat is getting the wood. The car I am to use would not work for wood moving.
    In the meantime I am applying Nitrate Dope and Silkspan. My access to a wood shop is limited so I do this on a table in the house with the A/C venting the fumes. Unlike the fiberglass/epoxy material., Nitrate Dope does not bother me or my skin.
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Strongly disrecommend this. When the fumes permeate the whole house, it may do bad things to your relations w/ your admiral.
    Far better to do it in the garage w/ the door open and a fan going to ventilate.

19. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I'll bring some Plywood from Woodcrafters.... Also, can a foam be used for the channeling? or is there other items attached to it?

20. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Uh, well, I do not have a garage. Also, the near 100 degree temperature would evaporate the Model Airplane Dope out of the can before I got to use it. I know this from the last build I did in a work shed. MAD is a costly item in these parts and to see it vanish out of the can was not an option.
    I did have multiple fans running as well as the A/C running. I was finished a few hours before she returned and barely noticed the smell. She was standing by the boat. I do live in Florida and it is summer.
    ;)
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.