Armoured Cruiser build weekend at Tug's shop 26/27 July 2014

Discussion in 'Steampunk Flotilla' started by Tugboat, Jul 7, 2014.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

The more I research on the Victorian Era ships, the more I like them. Both the real ones and the Victorian Futurism ones. Some of these pre-dreads are just plain nasty! Looks like they said, "OK here is the biggest, meanest gun we have, now lets make a ship around it...." LOL The tumblehome allows for some mean trajectories too, even at 20 degree...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I love the Victorian futurist designs and steampunk type stuff... My Imperial Japanese ACR/CV will be totally rad :) Neo-tokyo 1880!!

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Yep, a very cool time in naval development.

To all the current punk builders. Please be advised that there's the very real possibility of plans updates after Tugs testing. Changes could involve reducing draft, bigger or more props, etc. So be prepared to take your hulls to the table saw to hack the bottoms off and gluing them back on! ;-) Unlike the other formats that are based off of existing and tested hull designs, we are inventing our own stuff at Steampunk and trial and fix is the name of the game right now!

ST

4. Tugboat

Indeed.

5. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hurry up already! I want to start on the armored cruiser HMS Cockchafer!

It is an actual name used by the RN, so it is not inappropriate. :p

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

So this little bugger must of had some interesting nesting habits to get the name "Cockchafer"! :woot:
    [​IMG]

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yea, I was going to glue up tonight because I have a template for Tuggy, but then I thought, nope, better wait till we see if 80 lbs will get her to waterline...LOL :woot:

I'm betting on about 40 lbs for the AC....

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I'm thinking of something close to this... the sharp tumblehome and the sidemounts hanging off the side like below. Going to put a elevated, small, round gyro chopter pad on the stern....

[​IMG]

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The French Navy are the hipsters of steampunk. They were doing it long before it was cool.

10. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings from Stateboro Marriot, GA:
    I am 2.4 miles from your 20. I will see you at 8:45 AM.

Manuel Mejia, Jr.

11. Tugboat

Hooray!! I am off to procure beverages and chips for the day!

12. Tugboat

Build session is going well, we are very tired but close to mating the ribs with the horizontal pieces... many pics have been taken. Full report later!

13. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Pictures or it didn't happen.

14. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

It's probably still happening....

15. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I should be there tomorrow.

16. Tugboat

Better be!

17. Tugboat

A few pics from before we got started... I wrapped the 1st prototype in cellophane with Gorilla tape holding it together. Stuffed full of lead-acid cells, it weighed 24 pounds according to my baby scale...
    [​IMG]
    Then I put it in the test basin, and adjusted the ballast...
    [​IMG]
    The side view, a little list but I fixed the ballast AFTER this pic :)
    [​IMG]
    So, shortly, people started showing up and working. In this pic, Spudsy, von Lipp, and I (I'm the good looking one behind the camera) are working on various parts. We have lots more pics, but I have to go out to the shop in a few minutes so I'm not doing a photo dump. The 'Hard Working Mothertrucker' award goes to Spudsy who was an absolute BEAST. He also has a really really cool mini tablesaw that you must not ask him to show you, unless you are prepared to fall in love with its awesomeness and start saving up to buy one. Friggin' NICE tool. I must have one.
    [​IMG]
    How many ribs do 5 armoured cruisers need? MANY. (Note, this pile is only ribs for 4 of them, at like 40 per boat). The hole is for running hoses or wiring, Spudsy did it on his ribs and we thought it was cool.
    [​IMG]
    Here, Jeff L is test-fitting parts together....
    [​IMG]
    Here, Astrosaint is seen putting those holes in the ribs, all 200 of them...
    [​IMG]
    The notches for the ribs were cut in all 3 thin panels at once. Here you see 3 ships' worth of 1/4" panels screwed together to make this easier.
    [​IMG]
    More to follow!
    It hasn't gone as planned (first production line for all of us, new ship design) but it's been fun so far. Steve will get the after-action review for planning his build session.

18. Tugboat

Oh, we changed the draft of the ship by 1" to make it take less weight to get to waterline. They should be super stable ships.

Also, we have changed the waterline stringer to 1/4", no bevelling to 1/8". Did it for ease of building and materials reasons. The point of this is easy build, no -stress fun on the water. Steve was in phone conference with us to give feedback on the ideas. This was why he didn't release the plans immediately to everyone. We're working the kinks out, and even now, we haven't water-tested the changed design and more changes might be called for.

19. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I'm glad the hull will be stable. At least one of us should be. o_O:laugh::p:cool:

20. Tugboat

Heh. The party has wound down and the participants have departed. I'm putting my feets up for a bit and then will add some pics and thoughts. The boats look cool.