ATL Z-Boat

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Lou, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Worked on a Z-boat for Heiko (local ATL battler), thought I should post the results.
    Will get more pictures of the build, here is the installation of the gun.
    Cut out for the pump top clearing, this will be covered over. The second zip tie has to be added in this photo.
    [​IMG]
    Old bend on the magazine, too much brass on one side.
    [​IMG]
    Made the after superstructure removable, it is held in place with a pin that fits into the deck. The other end will be held in place with the removed gun safety pin. Plastic will be put around the breech to keep out water
    [​IMG]
    Business end
    [​IMG]

2. warspite

warspite Active Member

Wow Lou, looking good. Can't wait to see it on the water. I still have Heiko's winning adminral trophy from the Brouhaha in my hobby room. I should probably mail it at some point.

Hope I get to see you guys again next spring at Wade's or, if you can find a pond, in Atlanta. I would totaly drive on over. It is an easy 7.5 hour drive for me right down i-20 so I would totaly come.

keep the pictures coming!

John

3. Lou

Worked on getting the pump in place. Outlet is just past the motors and to the side, no room to get it to point to the stern.
    [​IMG]
    Forward superstruture comes off in one piece. Easy to access the capsule between sorties.
    [​IMG]
    Overall shot, she is a looker and most of the detail has been left off.
    [​IMG]
    In this shot you can see the 'rock the boat' regulator and capsule, followed by the receiver (still need to pot it) and the batteries. The two servo horns hold the front deck down.
    [​IMG]

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Makes me want to get Gearing off the shelf. I know that statement could have any ship in my shop in it, but still... :)

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Handsome model.

6. Lou

She has faced the enemy and drawn blood! Now a local Atlanta menace to the allied ships.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

maybe you see that the deck seal changed (the last two pictures were taken after a change of the deck arrangement. the deck is spray painted black now): having a lot of trouble with the sealing the lower deck and the boat was running full of water very quick (see my introduction why we call her SuZ), i made some changes in the deck arrangement, so that i can seal it now in race boat style with waterproof tape..the deck is sealed now and the only leaks i have is after getting shot...

8. Lou

As an Allied captain, may you get more leaks :woot:

9. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Very nice. Do you have any problems with the pump stream listing the boat over? The smallest ship I've got is a Koln I got about 75% done before it was dropped during a move. The resulting wreckage is buried in my garage somewhere....

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That's a great looking destroyer .

11. SuZWolf

SuZWolf Member

no problems yet... besides that: the pump only delays the sinking after some hits... the stream goes slightly up. not much listing recognized yet.

thanks for the compliments...:)

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

"The pump only delays the sinking after some hits... the stream goes slightly up"? Dude, you need a pump upgrade! ;)

This little guy in my Mogador pushes .8 gallons a minute through a half unit restrictor at 12V. It has a MANLY stream of over 6'!
    [​IMG]

Pump info here: COTS Micro Pump | R/C Warship Combat

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  13. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Steve has a wonderful little Mogi and this pump reflects the whole build.

Only one issue with windshield washer pumps is that they are not designed for continuous duty, ergo if you get really holed it will fail within the 2 minute window.

But Steve drives this thing as it should and he goes in and out of the pack with ease and very fast and catches about 2 holes per battle.

14. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

To avoid burnout (hasn't yet) I run the pump on an ESC. I have a three way switch on the Tx where I can run at off/half/full. Using trim I can get a 6" trickle out of it. During a storm and power outage one night, I needed an emergency solution to keep my sump from overflowing into the basement. This little pump wired to a spare float switch kept the basement dry till the morning when power came back up. I might add that the pump pushed the water from the sump bottom to where I had the hose draped over a door (about an 8' head) and then twenty feet to the slop sink.

15. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Nice Z boat. Is this built from plans or was it a kit?

16. rcaircraftnut

Never mind, I see the glass hulls now. Darn small screen on the phone lol.

Scharnhorst56 likes this.
  17. rcaircraftnut

Does anyone know what hull this is? Are they still available?

18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

19. rcaircraftnut

I think I can but what do I know, I'm just an airplane guy who's been obsessing over building light for years. However, a ship is quite different from a plane, lol. Even if I never arm it, the Z boat has always been a favorite of mine. I'm sure you guys will have loads of good advice once I do get a kit, or some plans and start building my first combat ship.

20. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Sounds like the build process is likely in your skill set. Cost of parts goes up with the light weight regulator and capsule (non-refillable) CO2. If you have your heart set on a Z-boat then go for it. I just want you to be successful, so that you stay in the hobby.

There is a reason that there are relatively few destroyers in the hobby.