Axis Doom ->Tromp build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Beaver, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

ok with stopping the hijacking but i would like to know what hull you got/are cutting.

i ordered a northhampton ship kit from strike but steve is taking a long time to get it out to me.

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

That's a 1.5 unit Tromp CL hull that Kevin is now producing.

3. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Sorry for still hijacking but I wanted to know what AdmiralBanger bought/is gutting up out of curiosity

4. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

Oh, I'm building a wood hull FN Suffren (Named the FN Beaver)

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Progress for the week.
    I made the decks and glued in the stuffing tubes, though they are removable. More on that further in the post.
    Here's the ship with the decks. I used 1/32" fiberglass sheet with magnets to hold it down. So far, it looks like it will make a good seal.
    DSC_0065.JPG
    Stole Steve's idea of using pins to keep things aligned.
    DSC_0067.JPG
    Just realized I don't have any photos of the shafts. Anyway, to make the stuffing tubes removable in the future I gave each one a wrap of packing tape before I epoxied them in. West Systems doesn't stick to packing tape so I easily popped each shaft out after the epoxy had hardened. After removing the tape the stuffing tubes slide back into the ship really easily without much slop. I plan to seal the shafts in with a thin coat of E6000, but that can easily be peeled off if I ever want to remove the shafts or pull the gearbox out.
    Here's some photos of my planned internal layout.
    Bow area.
    DSC_0062.JPG

Midship.
    DSC_0063.JPG
    For the gun I'll be using my newly developed gun for small ships. Its design allows you to keep the weight of the tee and full magazine low in the ship if you choose. I need to lengthen the mag on this one for a full unit gun. If anybody is interested in the details I can post them up.
    DSC_0071.JPG

That's it for now...

Kevin P., rcaircraftnut and SteveT44 like this.
  6. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

with that design, do you think it might be possible to get that gun even lower by bending the barrel to accompany the bend in the neck? you probably don't need to bend it any further for your purposes, but I'm more thinking for future projects

7. Beaver

You 'can' bend the barrel, but if you do you'll need to use a barrel that can take the wear. (heavy ss or steel) with this gun I'll be using an aluminum barrel which couldn't take the wear of bbs constantly hitting the bend.

8. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Very nice work on this Beaver, love the info you are sharing to help other builders. The speed at which you are going is amazing(to me). You do great things!
    Hope to see you at a battle in 2018! Nats in Lancing a possibility???
    Craig

Beaver likes this.
  9. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I need to get a week off and come hang out with Beaver, imagine what the two of us could come up with locked in a fully stocked shop for a week. Maybe we should have a fund raiser for that, call it an investment in the technology of the hobby, lol.

Beaver likes this.
  10. Anvil_x

lol you could always do what I've been doing for the past two years: work a seasonal position for 60-80 hours a week for half the year and save like a squirrel to free up your winters.
    Seasonal wildland firefighters make BANK overtime and get november to may off.

11. Beaver

Thanks for the kind comments. You all flatter me beyond my scale. :)

While I'd love to, it probably won't be going out of the local circuit this year. Maybe next year though. :)

12. Beaver

Rudder setup is finished.
    DSC_0079.JPG
    I mounted the servo with magnets. With that setup, I can change a servo in a few seconds.
    DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG
    Rudder and props.
    DSC_0083.JPG
    Rudder throw.
    DSC_0089.JPG
    Hopefully she turns ok.
    DSC_0090.JPG

With the plan being dual bow guns, I've changed a few thing with the internal layout. Mainly, the battery is now moved aft to between the stuffing tubes. Fits nice and snug.
    DSC_0085.JPG

Later...:)

WillCover likes this.
  13. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Might want to shift to dual sterns, initial stability tests on mine weren’t great, I’m making a few changes and will try to stick with bow guns for now

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

What happens when the rudder hits a rock along shore, and pops the servo off the magnetic mount? Are you adding a box around it to hold it in the general area of the magnets, so they can lock down again?

15. Beaver

In the testing I've done so far it pops right back on when it's knocked off. I'm still in the proving stages though, so if it becomes an issue I'll take countermeasures to keep it in place.

16. Anvil_x

well then. that's groovy. I'm surprised the magnets don't mess with anything.

17. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Modern electronics are pretty much immune to small variations in magnetic fields. Witch is nice, as it opens up a lot of new possibilities for mounting ect.

18. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The bane of class one raises it's ugly head. Keeping these little hulls pointing straight up is a challenge. On my Mogador, I thought I'd experiment with a 10 degree offset bent barrel on the aft single. This was enough to list the boat a good ways. Go with plastic mags and aluminum barrels to lighten your topside up.

19. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Titanium is the only way to go with barrels. At only $40 or so a foot, not bad.

rcaircraftnut, absolutek and SteveT44 like this.
  20. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

It's like you can see my pending mcmaster orders. Titanium is only $14 a foot, about the same as 2 SS barrels

rcaircraftnut likes this.