Baden nearing completion

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by jadfer, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am working on getting my Baden ready for Nats. Its taking a while as I am learning as I go. There is not much room in the ship but this is what I have so far. I am having to make a new radio box as my interior armor and wood supports left no space for the larger box.

I am using parker fittings and 1/4 hose. I dont have room or time to solve the problem of expansion tanks so went with two on the stern. I dont have to worry about check valves as all kips have their own feed.

Here is a picture of the regulator and fittings:
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the stern area. I have to make some hold downs that will screw into the lexan and hold the kips but I need to go get some more socket head screws first.

[​IMG]

I am interested in feedback.

Thanks!

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Nice work [8D]

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I like the techni-colored pump

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Everything is looking pretty good. Regulator setup is first rate. What kind of guns are you using, It looks like you have independant magazine feeds?

You can always just waterproof all the items, and forget about the box, they almost always leak anyways.

How the weight looking like, the Baden is larger so you should be ok.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Very nice work John. What drive motor are you using?

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

DJR - I am using foster breech guns so I need two feeds to the gun from the solenoid. I probably will water proof it all and put it in a box. I like the clean look of the box. I really liked the radio box that Rob used in his Tirpitz so I am using that design to make a new one.

Here is the beginning of the radio box: [​IMG]

I am not sure about the weight. The hull without air or motors is about 6.5 pounds.

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

The drive motor I am using is the stock motor sold by Battlers Connection. I have heard of these motors that are shipped over from Britain but I have plenty of motors right now.

8. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Looks like you should flip over the connectors, they will be harder to attach facing down.

9. Gettysburg114th

I had a Baden years ago and used a Johnson 550 direct drive. The ship was able to sit and spin. The was a picture of it a while back on the Battler's Connection site.

10. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Gettysburg, are there any ships or hulls that you havent previously owned?

11. Gettysburg114th

Not many. Been playing this game off and on since 1982........

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I used epoxy to attach it to the side of the box and covered the wires and holes with silicone. I am testing the integrity tonight.

13. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Well more than a year later I got the ship finished and took it to the Throwdown in MoTown in Missouri in September. I fixed alot of the problems but others crept in. I had re-fitted the ship with a lack of operational knowledge and as such some of it is being re-done. At the battle I had a problem with the pump, kips, water channel, deck seal, list, guns jamming, magazines over pressured, regulator over pressured, another regulator under pressured, turret mount broke off the barbette, what eles... I think it goes on. I have replaced the old foam water channel with concrete sealant, replaced the thick lexan armor with lighter armor, replaced the radio box with my new design (worked perfect at the battle one of the few things that did), replaced all the rib backers with much smaller wood, added a stringer backer, built a new pump box (with mistakes to be corrected this week), and today a new gasket/deck seal. This should address all of the critical issues with the ship and hopefully next weekend at our local battle I can spend some time visiting with the guys instead of doing a complete teardown between sorties.... doubtful but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][/FONT]
    Here is a link to my picture page. The new radio box is in a different album as it is inter-changeable with my ships.

picasaweb.google.com/Jadfer1/1144SMSBadenPictures#

See ya

Johnny

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Awesome :)

15. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Keep us all posted. there are quite a few badens planned :)

16. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have been to two battles both regionals. At the first I ran my Tirpitz and the pump and guns didnt work well. I drove fairly well until I hit the gravel with my prop and it turned fairly well. I had some good exchanges with a Fuso and could turn out of trouble when needed. There were about 20 battlers at the Brouhaha so I had plenty of ships to avoid.

The next battle was the Throwdown in MoTown. I took the Baden this time and on Saturday when most of the system were working at one time, WOW. I loved it. I was slow but if anyone was being held in place I would just chug up along and take my shots. I really really liked the way and style of battleing with the Baden. I hear people tell me its not fast enough to catch any runners but no matter what if I am the last man standing they have to come to me, either way they come so I didnt care about the speed.

When I was on 5 I had a VDT and a DERF trying to take a bit out of me and I almost literally spun in place and kept them off of me. I was only in my second battle ever but by the third sortie I was able to keep them at bay if I wanted to. Bottom line: Baden is my new fave ship. I just need a VDT, Derf, or other 26sec ship as a wingman and I should be ok.

17. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I will try to get this thread updated as the Baden is nearing 'secondary' ship status. It has been my primary ship since 2009 and it has been through a lot. I think I did a total of 7 major revisions to the ship overall with the most stable version being a complete deck rebuild and SS build in early 2013. I am still running the 2013 version of the ship with no changes and it will most likely stay that way.

I will try to post a few pictures from each 'version' as I called it as I progressed from Baden to Abrasion Baden then to Laceration Baden then to Concussion Baden, and finally to the DEATH BADEN!!

See ya

Johnny

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

What...interesting names. Mine is just "Badenuff" (Bad Enough)

19. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to see another Baden on the water.. the only time there was a Baden on the water was the 1 time that the both Koehlers came out to the Brouhaha with them. I was glad to see others with them and how they were built, how they performed, etc.

20. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I attended the Georgia MWC Nats w/ mine back in 2002(?). It was me and Herr Fluegel in Badens. Axis Admiral ordered me to just "stick with Fluegel". So "war" is declared....and Fluegel immediately dives into the middle of six SoDaks & NC's. My response was "NowayinHell".