Balance Charger for NiMH/NiCd/LiPo/Li-Fe/SLA Batteries

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by NASAAN101, Jun 10, 2020.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

to all my RC combat Friends, I found three Battery changer i went, I'm just having a hard time picking: the first one is the Tenergy TB6B Multifunctional Balance Charger for NiMH/NiCd/LiPo/Li-Fe Battery Packs + Power: https://power.tenergy.com/tenergy-t...-nicd-li-po-li-fe-battery-packs-power-supply/

Haisito 80W 6A Lipo Charger RC Battery Balance Discharger for LiPo/Li-ion/Life Battery (1-6S), NiMH/NiCd (1-15S), Rc Hobby Battery Balance Charger LED W/AC Power Adapter:
    View: https://www.amazon.com/Haisito-Charger-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B07QRQT3LC

HTRC LiPo Charger RC Battery Balance Discharger 150W 10A 1-6S AC/DC C150 for NiCd Li-ion Life NiMH LiHV PB Smart Battery (Black):
    View: https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B07RGK6P49

Let me know what you guys think! or just give me some ideas on a good all in one chager!
    Nikki

2. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

If you look at the input power supplies for both those chargers you will see they use small gauge wire and a barrel plug connection. They will never be able to deliver a full 10a charge no matter what the spec's say.
    I have this one and like it.

View: https://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-Accucel-6-Balancer-Charger-JST-XH/dp/B00T3RKONE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=turnigy+accucell+6&qid=1591903334&sprefix=turnigy+&sr=8-3

I've been using it for years as my only field charger. Use a good 12v power supply for it. Or charge off a large car battery, preferably with the car running, you do want to be able to start the car after charging batteries so you can leave. Lol.

3. rcaircraftnut

I either used a 15a plug in power supply that I've had for years or used the battery bank on the rig as it was usually running to keep the a/c on for my dog.

4. rcaircraftnut

15919038394516716352918682448291.jpg
    My old beat up power supply. A good one is as much as a charger but can be used for anything needing power not just the one charger.

5. NASAAN101

Nut, I'm just starting out with the lipo batteries, I got one from Phil this last battle, But the with the DD being my main ship i'm working on, she just need the batteries to be on the pond :DI just need in all in one battery charger for the moment..
    Nikki

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. rcaircraftnut

It is one charger. For a small battery it will be fine charging off the car battery. The ones you listed would work but not if you ever get a bigger battery for a bigger ship ECT.

7. NASAAN101

nut, the power pack is in side the charger, its got the power cord to it!
    Nikki

8. rcaircraftnut

No the power pack is that black brick supplied WITH the charger. Lol. It will be a 2-5 amp unit and will cause slow charging. Like hour plus difference between the two. And that is the single only difference between the one I linked and the two top ones you linked. Otherwise they are the same unit. And will work the same except for charge time. But if you don't mind taking over an hour to charge a single pack it will work.

9. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

To start out I wouldn't suggest a charger that needs a power supply to charge from the wall.

My dad has this one and he likes it a lot.

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFKG5H3/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_uwV4Eb5ECJ3CY

One thing to think about is not just charging 1 battery really fast, but possibly 2 or 4 at a slightly lower charge rate. Especially if you are charging smaller batteries where 10 amps would be well above the C rating to charge the battery.

Most batteries and chargers recommend charging at a maximum 1C, so a 2000mah Lipo for instance would be charged at 2 amps. Being able to send 10 amps at the battery won't help when you are only charging it at 2 amps.

I currently run a 5 amp max charger, that runs on AC or DC, but has 2 channels. I safely charge 2 batteries at a time. In theory it would take longer to charge a 10ah battery longer of course, but I could charge 2, so as long as I reset the time out on it, I would be charging 2 in just the same time as a 10 amp charger would take to charge 2, as they charge simultaneously instead on one after another.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. rcaircraftnut

Odds are it will be a while before she has more than a few packs. But still, that's a lot more charger for the money than what she was looking at. Nice find.

11. NASAAN101

Right now one hand I have one lipo snd 9 NiMH. Plus 6 SLA Bricks
    Nikki

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020