balancing the iowa for sterns and pump

Discussion in 'Construction' started by FishNHard, Oct 14, 2018.

1. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

So today im building the super structure for the NJ and looking at how im going to place things I got to thinking since she has a long stern and the NJ seems to ride a little high even at weight the sterns seem to me to not be as effective as most ships maybe above waterline shots or Super structure hits would you guys think it would be better to shift the battery's back a little to get the stern a little more down angle for the guns, My pump sits almost under the rear turret . . John

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Hey John, the newest thing with the 8 unit boats is to use the aft turret as a sidemount. On my Missouri I had a hard time getting the stern guns on target. I run it with minimal freeboard, amount even trim fore/aft. With too much trim the bow will be further up in the air. My stern guns skim over the aft deck with about 1/8" to 1/4" clearance. Also most axis boats now a days have very little freeboard and a lot of casements. So the setup that Jeff Lide and Carl used at Nats on the Yam/Moo was 15 degree bow guns in A, and sidemounts in B and C. You can see one of them in this video. I will probably reconfigure my boat this way over winter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9m6K18bscA

3. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

Kevin , Man thanks for the info I didn't know about the change that the stern can be side mounts Im a little bit behind the times I guess

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

It would take a LOT of weight to get the freeboard down on that bathtub. Just how heavy are you guys running?

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

15 degrees huh?

upload_2018-10-17_11-15-4.png

And those two barrels strapped together into a double barrel shotgun setup would most definitely comply with...

a. Cannons mounted in turrets shall extend from the face of the turret in the same manner as the actual ship being modeled.

:whistling:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Kevin P.

48.5ish I think, maybe 49 with bbs and co2, isn’t too bad with a cart. Scale is 45ish I think, so really not a whole lot more.

And Steve weren’t you at nats? That seems like it would have been the appropriate time to pull out the protractor if there was doubt in the measurement.

thegeek likes this.
  7. SteveT44

I really didn't notice it until the video cropped up. I guess I'll play sea lawyer next time.

8. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

Rules state barrels have to exit at the face of a turret to exit the face of the turret...…
    If you had a problem with the angle then address me or your admiral at Nats, NOT accuse someone of CHEATING after the event based on a video angle that does not give you the exact angle. If you can tell a 5 deg difference off of this video then you are better than I. I can ASSURE you it was at 15deg. PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! I am remembering why I have been Axis

9. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Both the Yamato and the Musashi were checked. I resent the accusation. Steve you can check my boats anytime.

11. SteveT44

I withdraw any perceived accusations. I'm sure the bow offsets were all at 15 degrees. I only brought this up because I thought the angles looked a little odd especially after my experience mounting my Atlanta's 15 degree offsets. Funny how YouTube distortion can make 15 degrees appear to be more like 25? I'm sure YouTube will have this issue fixed for next year and angles will look much closer to reality in the vids.

upload_2018-10-17_17-37-24.png

upload_2018-10-17_17-37-42.png

12. thegeek

20181017_190530.jpg
    When pointing finger watch out for the parallax view?

SteveT44, Beaver and Kevin P. like this.
  13. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

So why does the centerline you're basing the measurement off of go to some bogus point on the turret? It should go down the center of the ship, no?

thegeek likes this.
  14. Kevin P.

Looks too scale, clearly the decoy gun set to mislead allied aerial recon

15. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

So am I correct in thinking both forward cannons can not be more the 15 degrees of the center of ship ???

16. Kevin P.

Correct. I checked on my boat and I think 15 degrees is doable. They should be able to hit something, might ram sink some boats while getting the operator calibration down

17. thegeek

Because the two other turrets are sidemounts.

18. FishNHard

FishNHard Member

I can see getting A cannons to 15 but B looks like it would be a pain.

19. Kevin P.

B would stay sidemounts

20. FishNHard

FishNHard Member