Ballast - What to Use and How

Discussion in 'Construction' started by GeekSpeed, Nov 27, 2015.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hi again everyone.

I have a question about adding ballast to a ship. I am looking at building a cruiser, but am wondering how to get the weight to where it needs to be. I think all of the gear (batteries, CO2 system, motors, etc.) is going to be a few pounds light. I was considering putting self-leveling concrete sealer between the ribs, but as has been mentioned in a couple other threads, that stuff leaves a rubbery surface that does not work well for gluing/screwing/whatnot on other items. What would you all suggest I use?

Thanks all!

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Lead shot from a shooting sports shop, put it in pastic sandwitch bag and balast the boat. When you have it perfect then take the bags out and mix a little epoxy into the shot and replace the bag and shot mix in the boat and form it into the recesses. It will cure and you will have small bags of formed lead shot in the bottom that can be removed and modified if needed.

Tugboat, SnipeHunter and NickMyers like this.
  3. frank falango

frank falango Member

go to a tire shop and ask for some old tire weights they gave me 20 lbs of the stuff free

Lou likes this.
  4. John Hernandez

John Hernandez New Member

Yep I agree tire stores but they may or may not charge for the wgh if you don't have away to remelt you could always Pore resin over them but the would then become permanent or the red neck way duct tape them together too