Balsa Supplier??

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Ironbeard, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Ironbeard

Ironbeard Active Member

Tried the search feature but my "Google Fu" must be weak. I'm looking for a good mail order source for balsa wood ship building material. I've been away from this insanity for quite some time and the last supplier I used apparently burned down! o_O Go figure!

Also need some suggestions for sources of components: servos, radio, speed controllers, tanks, regulators, air components and such. BTW what happened to all the hobby stores that used to out there? Has everything gone to online shopping? I guess I'm getting a little long in the tooth but I like to be able to touchy-feely things before I buy them.

There used to be a fair numbers of suppliers of 1/144 scale accessories to dress up your builds. Are there any still around?

THANKS!

2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I've ordered contest balsa from Sig Manufacturing before, and been happy with it. From what I hear, National balsa is also a decent source.
    Unfortunately, for those of us who like to touch before they buy, online seems to rule for radios and radio related equipment. Of course Hobby King is a great source for radios, brushless motors, speed controls and the like. I'm looking at the FRSky Taranis radio from them now, has tons of channels and capability... making it harder to resist right now is the fact that they are having a nice sale right now..... Must resist....... The downside is that if what you want isn't stocked in one or their US warehouses, the shipping is a tad slow and expensive, but it's still nearly impossible to beat their prices even with the higher shipping rate.

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I use both National Balsa and Hobby King, and have been quite happy with both of them.

Tugboat likes this.
  4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Looking in national balsa, I don't see the 1/32 aero grade anymore? Anyone have an alternate supplier?

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Strike and bc both have sheeting balsa. Rc gear wise, lots of options. I am partial to opentx

6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Duh, should have thought of that... Thanks Greg

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Look at the X7 taranis. ~110$ and so far it seems to be a good TX. I am still working on getting mine set up the way I want it but so far so good.