Barbette recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by Powder Monkey, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if 2" pipe is correct for Japanese twin 14" turrents? I am refitting an ISE to Battlecarrier and am at that point.
    Thanks, J

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It'll do, I don't think that the turrets were much wider than that. I don't have my plans in front of me right now, tho :(

3. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

I use ABS fittings. They won't shatter when a BB hits them.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

ABS, PVC, either way :) I've only seen one PVC barbette get blasted and it was in a fight with Charley.

5. U571

U571 Member

Nice pics

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

2.5" (~63mm) ABS plumbing pipe is an almost perfect match for the diameter of 1/144 British 15" gun barbettes. ABS is less likely to crack when hit by BBs and seems more resistant to UV than PVC.

I secure the barbettes to the decks with CA glue, then drill 4 x 1/16" holes up through the deck into the barbette and drive in brass pins. The pins prevent the CA glue from shearing when hit from the side. I've never had a barbette come loose after pinning.

Bad Bob

7. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I secured mine by drilling a hole the size of my Barbette OD threw the deck and than ca 1/32 piece of ply under it and drilling that to the id so it ends up being a shelf than I glued the Barbette in using G/Flex should be able to with stand the impacted of a fully loaded 747 but who knows about a BB will let you know in July [:D]

8. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

well that didn’t take long the barbettes are officially tested.[:(!]
    I have to say they survived quit well as for the rest of the deck well lets just say I'm set back a day or two. I had the deck section setting on the band saw table, it is the perfect height to work on it 53” off the cement floor. I turned around for 1 min to get a clamp to clamp it down and yup you guessed it [:0] bombs away smash $#^#&$&@ *chest pain* stunned 1 moment than started picking up the pieces.
    damage report the barbette and super structure minus a few little breakaway antennas and such where fine however the turret was bolted to the barbette with an aluminum bolt it sheared off so I have some drilling and re glassing to do but nothing to bad time to take a break[:(]

[​IMG]