Basic Tutorial Foster Breech Cannon

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by bsgkid117, Dec 12, 2021.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Direct Link: HERE

I apologize, I'm not a videographer. I do what I can to try to help the hobby. I have 50~ cannons being chinese sweatshop assembled in my garage for a dozen or so boats that are being built by me for me, by me for newbies, or by newbies being taught by me, so I figured I had the on-hand supplies to make a quick video.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I have no liability if you somehow hurt yourself. Wear eye protection when playing with boat cannons. Wear eye protection when using power tools. Etc etc.

Stuff used in this video is linked here:

Gun Barrel Material: https://www.mcmaster.com/89785K824/

Gun Barrel Breech Sleeve Material: https://www.mcmaster.com/89895K728/

Gun Pistons: https://www.mcmaster.com/51055K78/

Gun Breech O-Rings DASH 008: https://www.mcmaster.com/9452K16/

5/16 4 Flute Center Cutting End Mill: HERE

1/4 Compression Elbow: HERE

1/4 Compression Tee: HERE

1/4 Compression Union: HERE

1/4 Compression Caps: HERE

1/8 barb -> 10/32 male thread -> 1/8 barb Tee: https://www.clippard.com/part/TT0-404-PKG

1/8 barb -> 10/32 male thread elbow: https://www.clippard.com/part/CT0-4-PKG

Pipe Soldering Flux: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-H...er-Soluble-Solder-Flux-Paste-301302/100177185

Things not listed above, ask and I can find out or explain. Hope this helps some new people.

2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

very-interesting.jpg
    I will have to peruse and comment on this later.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Evan Fowler likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

This is the correct tool :laugh:

I have a belt sander, it's over by the drill press, I was trying to not use a lot of what's in the shop or lots of single purpose type tools to show that you can do this with very minimal specialized equipment. If you have a drill press, torch for soldering, and a set of mini files you can make a cannon pretty much.

Evan Fowler and ZARUBA1987 like this.
  5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

My first few attempts to make guns were terrible failures. I’d highly recommend buying from Battlers Commection first so you have working guns. Then try to make your own. Having a ship with bad guns is no fun at all. Try making guns after you have a fully working ship. Alternately if someone in your area makes good guns have them show you how as they build your guns. Here in MN we build large batches of guns we don’t need right away and use them as new ships are made.

6. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Curious what went so wrong?

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The parts to build a cannon come out to maybe $5~8 total. Maybe more, maybe less, depends on where you are getting your parts and what you use specifically. For $8 I'd rather a rookie at least attempt to build their own or with supervision. It'll be worth a lot more than $8 in the experience.

darkapollo, Evan Fowler and Nomercy like this.
  8. darkapollo

Fantastic video, Will! Very informative and helpful!

9. darkapollo

Will, something I have seen from YouTube machinests, if you are trying to line up a hole to reem or mill larger, use the already sized hole and drill bit to align the part.

Stick a 1/4" drill bit in the piece and use that to align the chuck to the hole.

10. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I do this normally, I must've just had a brain lapse when I made the video.

I actually have a 3d printed jig to hold the elbow at a perfect 90* to ensure you dont drill cockeyed. And a small 3d printed part that has a 1/4 rod on one end and a 5/16 hole on the other for quickly slipping over the endmill bit and aligning it to the breech fitting. Since some people don't have printers I didn't think to show those homemade tools.

11. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

I am a bit new to the hobby, I assume I would need to scale up the size of this to accommodate big bun cannons or?

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Big Gun cannons are very different technology than Fast Gun cannons. One is designed to operate as an entire turret with rotation, depression, and multiple large-caliber barrels, but requiring a machine shop to produce. The other is designed for single-barrel rapid fire operations and constructed from parts available at a hardware store. There is currently some development work on 3d-printable Big Gun cannons, but nothing published on the forums yet. If you need Big Gun cannons right now, your best bet is to talk with the NTXBG and see what they have available.

13. Huru MorDae

I am aware that there are differences and have some ideas to back engineer. Just was curious before jumping off into that unknown.

14. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I guess I’m curious too. Why wouldn’t small gun tech not work on 1/4” bearings?

…you know, other than the parts aren’t available at Home Depot. ;)

15. darkapollo

Fast gun canons are designed to be static.
    Sure you -could- scale them up but then you would need to figure out the rotation and depression thing and its just going to be a lot harder to adapt.

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

For a single barrel, you absolutely could do it. However, if you're no longer trying to achieve a 10-rounds-per-second rate of fire, the Big Gun cannon type will provide much more consistent results. ARRGH, I would love to answer this in more detail but it's past my bedtime.

17. Huru MorDae

I mean, I do love a challenge. And the rotation part seems like it mostly requires a change to the mag.

I work the next 3 days, you got time. FEED me that juicy info.