Battle, 12 July!!

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Jay Jennings, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

OK, hi all, I am home again. This Sunday, 12 July at 1100. Uniacke House lake near where the fire trucks fill up. Lets see how many we can get. If someone shows up and there is no one there don't worry, we are coming!!!!! We (Steve C and I) will try to be there before 11 but WE WILL BE THERE!!!
    I hope see you all come out and get sunk, I mean come out and have fun!!;)
    J

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    I have relatives visiting all weekend so can't attend the battle. The following weekend I'm on call and can't be that far from the hospital, then I'm away until mid-August. Looks like I'll only get to a couple of battles this summer. :(
    Bob

3. Jay Jennings

Sorry to hear you can't come out. Do you think your relatives might get a kick out the combat? Others who had no interrest have enjoyed watching a good battle or two.
    J

4. Bob Pottle

Unfortunately my brothers and their wives have zero interest in the hobby and have other plans for Sunday. Have a good battle!
    Bob

5. Jay Jennings

Still goin out, rain be damned!! Steve Crane is on his way down as I write this. Hope fully the skies won't open right up.
    J

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Good luck out there guys, hope you have a good time!

7. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi guys: The spot that we ended up at was on the lake where Steve H. has his cottage. We used the boat launch and i seemed to work out ok, nice and sheltered and even though it was rough out around the corner it was calm for about 100ft out
    The small carrier HMS Pertoriia Castle,worked good but I couldn't get the list out of it so it will be shelved for now and I will be using the Mogami. The boat is almost ready just a few things left to do like install the bow gun and the hardest thing find a 3.5oz bottle. I am in NB close to the border all next week so i should be able to look for one in the us as well as quebec and nb. If i find one the mogami will be ready to battle in place of the carrier.

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

A Mogami should be an excellent treaty boat. With it's twin rudders and high speed, it should be a very nasty ship to deal with. As a 36 knot ship (24 seconds) it's on speed for IRCWCC as well, so should be easy to go between the formats with little to no changes.

9. Bob Pottle

Hi John,
    Was there a problem with the Uniacke House site? Guys, how about a battle report for those who couldn't attend?
    Bob

10. Jay Jennings

Bob, there wasn't a problem with the site itself, it was just really windy and rough. As far as a BR goes, there isn't allot to report, but I'll give it a go.

There were 2 sorties, both had the four ships, (in order of importance :) ) Scharnhorst, Nagato, Lutzow and the Allied thing, HMS Pretoria Castle, (just kidding).

There were no sides and no real structure. We went out, shot each other and had fun.

The first one had the Axis boats out first, the Castle followed a few minutes later after a minor propulsion failure was repaired. SCH and NAG spent most of the time dancing and shooting each other, with NAG teaching SCH to stop the stupid pursuit game, it just lets water in!! Lutzow had a couple of moments without control for some reason but never went out of control completely and got a few shots in on the bigg' uns and the carrier. The Castle had a severe list, probably 35 degrees, towards the island side, so she was hard to hit in a penetrable area. She took the odd ranged shot and hit everyone a few times. She did get hit and even had her SS holed. No one went down in the first one, although there were allot of holes.

The second time out was a little more interesting. All boats had their pumps running at onset and kept them going. Lutzow got in the way a few times too often and was brutalised (we thought), but there weren't as many holes as we though. He was on the verge of going under when Steve H brought him in. the Castle went out with no fight deck and SS, she was an open topped boat. Having no list made her much more responsive, so she was able to shoot more effectively. Alas it was to no avail. While SCH and NAG were ducking it out, we would break off and take a run at the Castle, shoot a few holes and then go back at each other. Steve C did manage to put a bunch of water into the Castle with his pump, and we all had a chuckle. The Castles' pump was pretty effective but when she started to list we all watched as the water came closer and closer to pouring in the top of the deckles ship. Down she went, the factory installed smoke was released ( pump wiring) and she sat on the bottom with her pump still working, now that the wires were water cooled. John pulled her out put the deck back on and set her back in the water. It was cool, the pump stream pushed her around in a death spiral until she went down again. SCH didn't go down, but not for lack of trying by NAG. Scharnhorst is going to be reheated, the balsa is old and now really see through. :) The more severe damage pics are going to be posted this weekend in the NABS forum, a dual format event after all.
    J