Battle at new pond in GA Aug 20-21

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Brian K has found us a new pond... a possible Nats pond... We have permission to conduct battle there 20-21 August. It's in beautiful Statesboro, GA, where Brian and I both live. I'll get around to posting a map and directions when Brian gets the coords to me. But the battle has been posted on the MWC site for pre-reg.

Thus far:
    Allies: Iron Duke x 2, HMS Invincible 14 units, all 26 secs
    Axis: Baden x 2, Viribus Unitis 15 units, all 28 secs
    I call it, 'The Fast and the Furious' :) We will have several family members playing camera person, so no shortage of pics to come. Who else will join the fray? The world waits!

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Would love to, but have already committed to another event. Will be there for the next one though!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Circa 11 hours from New Orleans...might be worth a visit. Two day trip with the necessary detours.

4. Tugboat

Worth it. Brian K waded out into the pond to assess the quality :) He said it's about 5 feet deep around 20 feet from shore, good bottom, no trees in it :) He also said there's a good area for a Nats tent to be set up, port-a-johns and we're close to anything essential. Like Brian's house if we need non-portable tools. Or 10 minutes from my place if we need the full shop.

5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I think Kotori will have sent me the Constitution and hull of the Invincible by then. If I can arrange transportation...

6. Tugboat

The pond is in a depression, surrounded by trees. Not sure if there'll be good wind, but worth a shot.

7. mike5334

Tug, can you send me an email please? Don't think the email I sent reached you.

Thanks.

Mike

8. Tugboat

Done, sent from my KI4GYT email address.

9. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Gascan, consider your transportation arranged. I intend to go and you are welcome to ride with me! Anything, anytime, anywhere... just call me!

10. Tugboat

I don't know how many boats will be on the water, we've already got 2 loaner boats in use. I don't know if I'll have one of my old cruisers ready (have to finish my Baden as first priority) but maybe we can let you guys drive some :)

11. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'll gladly take you up on your offer, Mike. Hopefully I'll have a Constitution to show off at the pond, too. I'll give you a call after class tomorrow.

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Whaddaya mean, "hopefully"? You WILL have a Constitution to show off. The only hopeful part is whether that other secret project *cough*Victory*cough* is ready in time. I just hope you guys are ready to do the Downwind Drift and the Walk of Shame. Sailing square-riggers isn't easy :)

13. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hey Tug, didn't realize you were a ham!
    73 from N6TME.

14. Tugboat

What did I say that gave me away? :) I do mostly PSK, but I also do SSB DXing. I'm using an old original-model IC-706 while my main radio is down... suspected dry solder joints in one of the boards; the IC-761s had those as a class problem. I'd just buy a new one, but I think I can fix it, and it's a doggone good radio (6m thru 160m, built-in tuner, built-in power supply) that I can't bear to let it go. It was a club radio that I fixed once after an SK left it to the club, but after a while, it had this problem and the club decided that it wasn't economical to send out for repairs. Fear of jacking it up worse has kept me from fixing it while I researched the problem. Now I just need time to do it :) These boats keep taking my time :)

I should have some good pics of my Baden before the battle, with some new Grey Wolf Baden-specific stuff to show off.

73 de KI4GYT (Get Your Tacos!)

15. Tugboat

Brian was over, and we got a lot done on Badenlicious; the Grey Wolf casements are not expected to be done till Wednesday, so I fabbed up a set of plywood casements and painted them up while Brian spent the time plumbing the guns and playing with the water channelling. So in finest von Tugboat fashion, Badenlicious has no SS on her(above the casement deck anyway) a mere 6 days before the battle. But the deck is painted a lovely light tan, and the casements, turrets, and barbettes are a stunning Krylon glossy grey primer :)

Keep taunting me about the SS (as some are prone to), and I will fab up 6 or 8 balsa biplanes and make her the Kaiser's first CV :)

16. Anachronus

I want to see the planes!

17. Tugboat

You know, it makes me want to do a hypothetical converted baden :) With the main guns turrets still in place, naturally :)

18. Anachronus

A semi-CV? Ise Fever?

19. mike5334

We can always scrap together a few small cardboard boxes for it. ;)

20. Tugboat

@J- yeah ,something like that, but with semi-angled flight deck, a more Teutonic-looking island, and Fokker DVII's parked on it. No change to units or speed, just for fun. I have been meditating on it all morning, and I think I'll do it. For the purists, I will do it so that all the CV stuff is attached to the removable deck over the casements, so I can swap in a more authentic SS for Nats and other places where rivet-counters accumulate. I _do_ need to find out what kind of flying boats the Germans used so I can have some recon aircraft :) Maybe a flak balloon on a stiff wire flying overhead...

@Mike - oh, come on, like THAT's ever been done for me, lol ;)