battle damage repair

Discussion in 'Construction' started by rowboat captain, Apr 28, 2008.

1. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

how do you repair battle damage...

A. At the lake?

B. At home after a weekend battle?

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Just a littls silkspan and model airplane dope or Ambroid cement.

3. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Paper "hospital" tape. It's basically silkspan on a 1/2" roll with an adhesive back. Can't get much more convenient than that. Tear off a piece, stick it on, & slap some dope over it.
    If I don't have too many holes, I'll punch out 1/2" plugs & replace them with fresh balsa, likewise punched out. Apply a little silkspan & dope, then paint over. If more than 8-10, & depending on where they are, it's usually faster & easier to just re-skin. Sometimes, I'll just re-skin a side or a portion of a side, if there's a lot of damage in a smaller area. I've got re-skinning down to a good art & can do it pretty quickly.

JM

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

really? its easier to reskin if you've got more than say 15 holes? gees that sounds like a lot of work. and I thought fast gun patching could be tedious.

5. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

It depends on the damage, & some ships are easier than others, but in general, yeah I think so. Unless Axis gunnery really sucks over a number of battles, I usually figure on reskinning every other battle at least. Once I completely reskinned my Nelson in less time than a friend was able to patch about that many holes in another ship. Of course, a big part of being able to do that is being ready. I keep a bunch of doped/silkspanned balsa sheets all prepped & ready to go, so it's pretty quick & easy when the time comes. The old comes off easily (Nobel Prize nominations for the inventors of the Dremel Moto-tool & hand-held sanders!). Total time is about 3-5 hours, spread out over 3-5 evenings (sometimes more, if there are multiple colors such as for a camo job), to let various things dry.

Day 1: Strip off old hull sheet; grind off old glue; glue new sheets onto hull; trim, sand, apply wood filler. Time: Approx. 2 hours.

Day 2: Sand dried filler (no point in using anything finer than #60); apply additional filler to low spots if necessary; dope & paint with spray primer. Time: Approx. 1 hour.

Day 3: 2nd coat primer if necessary; mask off waterline & spray red below. Time: Approx. 30-60 min.

Day 4: Mask off & spray additional colors if necessary; apply boot tape; spray overall with clear dope (helps keep tape from coming up). Time: Approx. 30-60 min.

JM

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Where are you applying the filler? Gaps between sheets?

7. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I use contact cement to hold the balsa sheeting off. I guess I'm lucky in that I have never had to us a sander or dremel to to resheet. We do use 1/32 balsa. That may be the reason why.

8. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Yes, gaps as well as to smooth the fillets to blend the sheet edges into the hull chines, bow, stern, etc.

JM