Battle: May 16th 2010

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by tgalx3, May 13, 2010.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

The battle is at Coal Creek. I should think we should get there at 1000 and start at 1030. Its starting to warm up quicker so we can star earlier. If anybody has objections changing the time is no problem. Here are directions.

Coal Creek Pond - Bellevue

Take I-405 to the Coal Creek Pkwy Exit. (South end of Bellevue) Go East on Coal Creek Pkwy, through three stoplights. (The last is Forest Drive and only turns left) As the Pkwy drops in to the bottom of Coal Creek there is a small parking lot on the left side at the bottom. Watch out because the traffic is quite fast through there. The pond is on the right side of the trail about 300 feet from the parking lot.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'm not sure planning for an earlier start is going to work. Bear in mind that asking for a 10am arrival means Phill and Hovey have to leave their places at 8:30ish, and Phill usually brings little Alex.

3. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I tell you what, you move it to a pond near me and then we can start earlier. As it is a 10 arrival requires at least a 0700 wake up IF I don't have anything else to take care of in the morning. And since I have kids, a wife, and lots of animals that is not likely to be the case.

4. NickMyers

I think the standard arrive 10:30-11ish time is fine, that gives me time to get some last minute stuff done in the morning.

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Your both right Im sorry. I get ahead of myself when the battles come around. the usual 1100ish it is then.

6. Hovey

No worries Alex. After rereading my earlier post it sounded a bit harsher than I meant. I would love to be able to spend more time battling but getting going much earlier just isn't practical for me.

7. NickMyers

if possible, i'd battle every weekend as long as theres daylight, year-round, so I completely understand. Unfortunately life intervenes. :(

8. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

No Problem. I understand both of you are much busier than I am. Ill see you on Sunday.

9. phill

phill Active Member

Sorry guys, life really got in the way for the last couple of weeks. Bad news/goods news but we can talk at the pond. Don't know if I will be able to make any battles after this one for a few months... Too many variables.
    Looks like we are going for Coal creek at 11ish. Works for me.
    Darrell will not be at this battle, he is out of town again... Different state this time... We should see him at the next battle. Looks like I will not have little Alex with me this time. I will have three ships, hopefully all working. The Montcalm will be returning to the water for the first time in many years.

10. NickMyers

Was an interesting day, we had 8 ships on the water at one point, Nagato, Mutsu, Bismarck, North Carolina, Inflexible, Suffren, Mogador and Montcalm. Unfortunately alot of those ships had recently been through refit (NorthCarolina), recently hauled out of storage (Montcalm) or new (Mogador - still teething really), and the Inflexible and Nagato were still having issues worked out after a few years in storage.

The entire day there were no in combat sinks from damage, though the Nagato ran over and sank both the Montcalm (it hardly slowed the Nagato) and the Inflexible (who also lost power in a later sortie and spent the majority of it on the far shore waiting to be re-claimed).

We gave protecting a convoy vessel a good shot, with the Suffren and Bismarck acting as raiders while the Mutsu, NC and Inflexible attempted to prevent this action. After the merchant successfuly made its laps without sinking and we examined holes on the raiders, merchant and defenders, we concluded that we could all use a bit of gunnery practice.

Down to just the NC(stern guns only), Inflexible(sidemount not working), Bismarck(fully operational) and Suffren(fully operational) we engaged in a free for all that ended inconclusively, followed by a impromptu bit of a tag team 'try to sink the Bismarck' sortie in which we did a good amount of gray area damage and forced Alex to pump some, but were unable to put him anywhere near sinking.

I didn't get many pictures because it was raining for much of the day and because when it wasn't raining I was captaining the Suffren, frequently in traffic. Coal Creek can get a bit small for more than a handful of ships at a time. I'll post some of the decent ones as I get to them.

11. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

A nice collection of Frenchies out there.
    Hopefully someone was able to get some photos.
    Well done.
    Mikey

12. NickMyers

Sorry, not many pictures this time - hard to take pictures and battle at the same time. Next time I may bring two FlipCams on tripods and grab some video footage.
    Montcalm [​IMG]
    Bismarck [​IMG]
    Nagato[​IMG]
    Mogador. Again she had problems and lost drive power in the middle of the pond[​IMG]
    I-Boat. Suffered from radio control problems after the first battle[​IMG]
    Nagato mercilessly crushed the Montcalm, i don;t think it even slowed him down[​IMG]
    and the Montcalm is Gone..[​IMG]
    The Suffren passes the sinking I-Boat, which just got rammed by the Nagato and had her stern pushed under[​IMG]
    Raiders and Defenders[​IMG]
    Cargo Sandwich - Suffren and Bismarck have the role of Raiders and are trying to sink the little cargo ship. hovey's North Carolina is doing it's best to inhibit that goal.[​IMG]
    The Cargo ship pauses for an opening, almost home![​IMG]

13. NickMyers

Slideshow of the Inflexible going under. Too bad like the Montcalm I missed the start

14. BigTomAction

BigTomAction New Member

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the great time last Sunday. Was alot of fun witnessing combat first hand. I look forward to building my own boat now and joining you on the pond!

15. Hovey

It was good to have you there.

16. NickMyers

I didn't have any good portrait shots of the North Carolina from Sunday, so these are from her SeaTrials the day previous.
    [​IMG]
    At Speed[​IMG]
    Rudder hard a-starboard[​IMG]

17. NickMyers

Thanks for coming and checking it out Tom, you're welcome to come back any time

18. NickMyers