Battle Pond VIII: Big Gun Invitational at Maker Faire Bay Area, 2015

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Rob Wood, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

This is an open invitation to all subscribers of the R/C Naval Combat forums.

On May 16-17, 2015, the annual California Maker Faire will take place in San Mateo, California. For the 8th year in a row, Western Warship Combat Club will be battling in our portable pond (40' x 72'), before live audiences. Last year, more than 12,000 spectators watched and participated in 10, one-hour events.

This year, we will have 6 cargo ships for volunteers to operate, plus a couple of warships for experienced guest captains to run. Anyone who subscribes to this forum is welcome to come, either as a participant or spectator. If you want to volunteer to help with various tasks that have to be done, or if you want to run a ship in combat, contact me privately and we will work out the details. Maker Faire is a blast, and if you're not familiar with it, check it out here: http://www.makerfaire.com
    Rob Wood
    Vice President, Western Warship Combat Club
    rwood@hypergold.com

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Union Scum likes this.
  2. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Battle Pond VIII at Maker Faire California, May 14 - 17, is only 8 days away. All combat captains, regardless of your customary scale and type of battling, are invited to participate. We have a few free tickets left for those who might like to see what Maker Faire is about. Just let me know.

Rob Wood
    Vice President, Western Warship Combat Club
    rwood@hypergold.com

3. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Would that include Pacific Model Warship Combat Club.

4. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

All combat captains, regardless of your customary scale and type of battling, are invited to participate.

5. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Ok. I will pass that along. Are there any parking or exhibit badges left? I know this pond is small but, one person said he could get his 1/144th scale Normandie passenger liner running what a target that would be.

The club still has many 1/144th vessels. Short notice but, they will be informed

Thanks Rob for the invite.

6. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Still awaiting your reply on the parking passes and entrance passes if any.

Thank you.

7. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Still waiting for your reply Rob on those items. Parking Passes and entrance passes. Getting a little late but, maybe you will reply.

8. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

At this point I am sure Rob is quite busy with the set-up and preparation. He left his phone number in one of his other posts ( Any Big-Gun clubs in Northern California?? | Page 2 | R/C Warship Combat ), I would suggest that you place a call.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

I know. Sigh. Look at my posts. Not like it was yesterday I asked. Thanks for telling me though.

11. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

I'm just going to say forget it this year. I needed to know sooner so the members of Pacific Model Warship Combat Club could get their 1/144th scale models out of storage and get them ready. We do not play this scale. Our concentration is on 1/72nd scale. Also. Most of the members hail from in and around the Sacramento area. Long way to drive in time and gasoline and then find out as participants to pay parking and entrance fees. Lastly its for the best. Pacific Model Warship Combat Club is putting on a 2 day event Memorial Day weekend. So now we will have more time for getting our models ready for that event. It was not meant to be.

Hopefully it will not rain and will not be windy at Maker Fair. Have a good event and safe one.

12. NickMyers

Only can express what I can guess but maybe he's been busy with the lead-up prep all week, it sounds like a big event and the club sounds shorthanded this year.
    I'm inclined to give a person the benefit of the doubt, he hasn't been logged in here this week and I assume he has a reason for not being here (such as getting the event stuff ready).

13. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Understand. Again I posted last week about the passes. So just a simple yes I have them or no I do not Nick.

14. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Scrolling up in this conversation, Rob stated in March "If you want to volunteer to help with various tasks that have to be done, or if you want to run a ship in combat, contact me privately and we will work out the details." and included his email address.

15. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Hi Kerri.
    Hope you and your Husband are well. I did not get back in this forum I believe early April. My memory is not as good as it use to be. So I missed the deadline I guess. Again no big deal

It is strange though if he is short handed with people as Nick speculates why the cal did not go out for us to help. Oh well. Again have a great fair.

16. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Viewed a video tonight as a camera did a walk through. Not much talking just showing the models. Must have been right after a showing. Did not see to much damage on the models. Looked cold out there to. Eh. Typical day if your in the SF Bay Area.

17. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Couple of really nice looking ships, especially that USS Juneau. I think the light damage to the ships was because it was more like target shooting, than any actual combat. In fact at one point a captain was making comments that his warship had been shot and implied it shouldn't have. Far less participation than I had expected after hearing about previous Maker Faire recruitment successes. The large crowds sure did appear to like the show and hearing people cheer when you sink someone must feel good, but the battle looked more like "entertainment" for the crowds, than an actual recruitment tool. I was impressed by the safety measures taken to keep everyone safe. ​

18. NickMyers

Is there video somewhere? Or were you able to attend?

19. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

I had friends that attended and let me know how it went, but I also found a roving live feed that was taking place. I watched until they moved on to other things.
    Hopefully that link will work. You need to go to approximately 1:37:00 and when they stop their interviews, you can go to approx. 3:14:30. If the link does not work, search "Maker Faire Afternoon 2015" and look for the one labeled Sunday.

20. NickMyers

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.