Battle Pond VIII: Big Gun Invitational at Maker Faire Bay Area, 2015

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Rob Wood, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

We don't (generally) use them for rookie members, we use them largely for guests and people who have just wandered up. We try to get rookies into loaner and spare ships while they build if possible.

We've found that spectators being invited to join the fun have a tendency to be a bit nervous about 'doing well' and trimming their first experience down to 'frustrate the enemy in a nimble cargo vessel while your friends help protect you and stick it to the enemy' actually works very well - and seeing the cargo ship get sunk - if they do get sunk- seems to be something they enjoy as well.

2. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

I agree that the cargo ships do have their place in the game and it is an innovative idea to use so many at one time. When we do run them, we have trouble finding someone to run just one for allied and one for axis since everyone else is usually running a combat ship. We play in a pretty secluded area with absolutely no wander in foot traffic. As for WWCC, I know they play in a public campground with lots of people around. That makes it much easier to find volunteers.

3. Cid

Cid Member

When I first started with pacific 2 years ago, They paired me with an experenced captain and let me use one of the loaner boats the very first time I was there. It was a great experence. I felt like I was part of a team and they really wanted me to have a good time. The other players out there took time to explain things to me and I learn alot, I am still learning. They explained how to properly set up a boat for combat and even let me take the loaner boat home with me to repair battle damage and learn how to operate it better. I dont think I would have had the same experence if I was allowed to just use a cargo ship

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Cargo vessels have two sides to it. Low maintenance vessels for the clubs to turn around quickly. However. This is also a competitive game. Points are awarded remember. These in most cases rookies that have very little experience. If this is just an show that is put on like Maker Fair should be then have fun. If though this is a sanctioned event and points are awarded for WWC Inc members at the expense of the merchant cannon fader vessels well doesn't quite seem right. When I was part of the WWCC a few years ago it was a point vale bonanza. It really is not the way R/C Dhip Combat is played with the restrictions this man made pond gives you.

Maybe it has changed. Also. It can back fire in reqruiting. The people might think they put us out there like ducks on a pond. Others will want to get a combat vessel to fight with. Only to find out the maintaince and time needed to prepare these models

I like the way PMWCC does it. A loaner vessel the is armed. Give the person the real thing to begin with and find out right away if that person has the right stuff as Cid did.

5. NickMyers

This thread has taken a bit of a turn, and the discussion of different viewpoints regarding the utility of cargo vessels was interesting, but I think we're slipping a bit here.

If cargo ships as a event-day loaner works for WWCC then it works.

I think we all live in glass houses and none of us should feel so secure that we know 'the way R/C Ship Combat is played' - there are many ways to play the game; we should be careful not to denigrate other clubs for playing how they see fit.

KeriMorgret likes this.
  6. NickMyers

We won't pull a captain off a working armed ship to captain a cargo. I foresee much less cargo in our future though as we're moving away from using ponds that have foot traffic nearby. Controlling the safety factor is too hard, as is the issue of overzealous safety-conscious citizens.

7. Union Scum

Union Scum RIP

Your right sigh. Each group can do what they want and Interpit how this GAME is to be played. If it were taken out of the true pages of history we would have convoy vs submarine battles There were a handful of surface ships vs convoys. Scharnhorst and Gniesenau come to mind. After that it was a one on one situation say Graf Spee vs 1 transport. That's really not much fun. So as a Game goes I agree play what a group wants.

Nick. I want to point out something. Western Warship Combat Club has incorporated. They are now known as Western Warship Combat, Inc. Their old website still exists but, they have a new one under that latter name I gave.

Good shooting all

8. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

At the risk of reopening this can of worms, just let me say that I really look forward to the day when we all simply encourage one another in our respective pursuits of happiness. There is really no reason for one club to criticize another club's approach to what is supposed to be a fun hobby around toy boats. As my dad used to say, "If you can't find something positive to say, don't say anything."

Rob

9. NickMyers

The weather is very pleasant here today.

Edit: And I'm closing this thread. If anyone has Recap info or photos and video from this event, feel free to start a new thread for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.