Battle reports

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by froggyfrenchman, Nov 17, 2013.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Battle report. 2013 November battle in Versailles, Ohio.
    With the 2013 battling season drawing to a close in our area, I am starting to re-direct my attention to the boat displays that are coming up around here, and will also be spending more time on the internet. I have lots of photos to post up, and with them I am hoping to write up some battle reports.
    Last weekend we had a battle up in Versailles, Ohio. Mostly just the local folks. But we also had a couple new interested folks that we had run into at the boat displays drop in to check us out. For the most part, it was really too cold to battle, but we bundled up and put on a show that tickled the spectators, and generated a lot of laughs and excitement for the battlers as well.
    Here is our story. Straight from the French press.
    The plan of the day was to have some one-sortie battles, that second sorties could be added to.
    Our hopes were that we might have some sinks close into the shoreline, but certainly no sinks out in the open water. Nobody wanted to have to go swimming for a boat. Temps were in the mid-40s. And the water was extremely cold.
    The first battle was going to pit the three big French meat-grinders against the pair of Alaska class battlecruisers, and the Cavour. This was the first time we have been able to get both of the Alaska class battlecruisers on the water at the same time. In addition, I had kinda rushed the Alaska to completion just for this event, and Bat had picked the boat up in some horse-trading, and showed up to run it. So I had never had the boat on the water before, and Bat had never run it before. We were hoping it was battle-ready. But we were not entirely sure about that. Bat ran the boat around a couple of times, and made some final adjustments, and entered his brand new boat into the first battle of the day. The teams for the first battle would be France against the world (allies).
    Allies.. USS Hawaii (Mark), USS Alaska (Bat), and Cavour (Steve V.).
    France.. Alsace (Casey), Jean Bart (Vance), and Richelieu (Steven).
    As we were putting the Frenchies in the water I heard Vance and his two pals debating who would get to run the Richelieu. I suggested rock/paper/scissors. When it was decided, all of the systems were checked, and some of the new folks that were interested in the hobby showed up to watch the battle. Good timing.
    The teams faced off against each other, and war was declared.
    The allies worked well together, seeming to concentrate damage on particular opponents, and sticking together. The Frenchies on the other hand seemed spread out, and were spreading out damage to all of the allies. The Frenchies were also firing for effect more often than the allies. Blowing lots of large holes in the water. Everyone seemed to be enjoying that, and it made for some great photos.
    It wasn't long before the Hawaii (which seemed to be leading the allied charge) was pumping some, and the Cavour's pump was working a little as well. The Frenchies seemed to be holding their own just fine.
    I went over to offer my congrats to Vance and his pals for a job well-done and I found them singing. They informed me that they were singing the Meat-grinder song. It went something like this..
    We are the meat-grinders.
    When the enemy takes to the water their in for a slaughter. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    When the enemy fleet we meet, we grind their meat. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    We care not about the size of their fleet, because their heading for defeat. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    I snapped off a couple/few more photos, and couldn't help but notice that all three of the allied ships were pumping. And I mentioned to the boys that it appeared that victory was in sight. That they appeared to be winning.
    A minute or so later one of the allies mentioned that the Richelieu was sinking. And when I looked around, I saw that the Richelieu was indeed in trouble. She had a list to one side, and the pump was not running. And as she went into a hard turn in order to head for the shoreline, she rolled over almost to the point of her deck being awash, and her pump came to life, throwing out a huge stream of water. As she closed with the shore, her stern went under and she sank partially beneath the waves as we grabbed ahold of her bow and pulled her from the icy water.
    Then as all of the boats were being pulled from the water, the Alsace lost radio control. She was circling just off-shore. The Jean Bart cut her off, and as both ships came to the shoreline they were both low in the water and pumping hard due to listing over during the recovery attempt. I had to have help from the other captains to get the other two Frenchies out of the water before they sank.
    After all of the boats were removed from the water, I spoke with the new spectators about our wonderful hobby. They were amazed.
    I then spoke with the boys, and said that it was unfortunate that Stephen had to run the only Frenchie that didn't have a pump that either stayed on all of the time, or had an auto-turn-on. Otherwise the Richelieu would not have sunk. I told Stephen he shouldn't feel bad. It happens. That is when the boys informed me that Stephen had won the right to run the Richelieu. It was the only big Frenchie that could be scuttled. And they invited me to join them in the rest of the meat-grinder song. It went something like this..
    We are the meat-grinders.
    When the enemy fleet we meet, we sound the retreat. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    If we cannot retreat, then we declare our defeat. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    Certain victory, a mirage, cause we must sabotage. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    We give our enemies a chance. We sing Vive la France. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    Congrats on your victory we say, so they will come back again to play. Cause we're the meat-grinders.
    Vive la France.
    Mikey

2. froggyfrenchman

Getting ready to head out to the battle in Xenia.
    Quick up-date.
    After two days of battling, the Allies have a huge lead.
    Baden was sunk twice (I think), Cavour had a withdraw due to radio issues, and the Bismarck was sunk out from under me.
    The Allies did get a convoy through yesterday, and the Axis got 4 convoy runs, or something like that.
    Lots of action, and fun all around.
    More later.
    We are also battling the Battlestations boats today.
    Mikey

3. froggyfrenchman

Well, this was one of the most fun events that I have ever been to. Again!
    Our events just seem to be getting better and better.
    We had plenty of sinks. Mostly Axis.
    Baden, Italia, Baden that I can recall on Friday.
    On Saturday, the Cavour had to withdraw from a sortie due to radio issues, and the Bismarck was sunk.
    We did get three convoy ships on the water, with two of the older Bearn class French aircraft-carriers running together on the Axis team, and the brand new Sangamon running Allied. All three carriers completed at least one convoy mission, and none sank.
    I think that the convoy portion of the combat is probably my favorite part. Having convoy ships on the water not only adds to the combat itself, but it also adds to the fun factor, and the teamwork and planning. Good stuff!
    On Sunday, we had only one Treaty battle, but we also got in our first Battlestations battle of the year.
    We broke the Treaty ships into flag, and no-flag, to distribute the units, and captains. And we ran all three convoy-ships again in the first sortie. All convoy-ships completed another mission.
    In the second sortie, we ran at least the two Bearns again. I cannot recall if the Sangamon went back out again, but I think it probably did.
    I do not remember if anyone sank in that last Treaty battle. So the battle may have been decided by the convoy missions.
    In any case it was great fun for all.
    For the Battlestations, we got Gerry's U.S. light-carrier Saipan, the Russian destroyer-leader Tashkent (Matt), Mark's French coastal-battleship King Henry IV, and my French super-destroyer Mogador on the water.
    It turned out to be everyone against the Saipan.
    The first sortie was great fun, with the Saipan taking more damage than she gave, and the pump clogged (or something), and she may have been sunk.
    We got the Saipan, Henry IV, and Mogador out for another sortie, and although the Saipan took the majority of the damage again, early-on, as the sortie was winding down, the Henry IV's pump crapped-out, and when the little ship crept into the shallows, the Saipan followed it in, and got stuck up on shore.
    The Mogador was able to unload the bow gun into the big carrier, but the Henry eventually rolled over and sank.
    It was all great fun, and exciting that we had a Battlestations battle again.
    Mikey

4. froggyfrenchman

I think it would be safe to say that a lot of folks need a big thank-you.
    And although most of them were at the event helping out in many ways, not all of them were able to attend.
    Even though I have been maintaining Jeff C's boats and bringing them to our events, he is really the guy to thank for the Cavour being there again.
    That boat has become our groups main loner boat for the last couple/few years. And although it is a breeze to maintain, it is also a really great boat to run in combat.

So I also wanted to thank everyone that supported our event.
    The folks that attended, or lent us boats, supplies, and that sort of thing.
    We saw some folks that we had not seen in a while. We also had some of the newer folks drop in for some more fun battling the boats again.
    Roland made the drive down. Bob D. dropped in and supplied some CO2.
    Jeff S. dropped in for a while, even though he couldn't stay very long, due to family stuff.
    Mark, Matt, Bat, Bill, Carl, Conrad, Vance, Casey, Steve, Jacob, Dozer, Tucker, and Phil helped me out with my fleet.
    Karen brought out some family and friends, and helped take photos. Gerry battled the Cavour.
    It was awesome!
    Of course, Tom and Sue were great hosts as usual. The site was awesome.
    I know I am probably forgetting someone.
    It was a truly great event, and I am looking forward to our next one.
    I did have the Bismarck drop out of service after sinking on Saturday. But it was in fact a spectacular sink that was appreciated by all of the battlers, and guests alike. And we set the ship off to one side, and kept on battling.
    I am looking forward to Task-Force 3. I will be ready.
    Mikey

5. froggyfrenchman

Well, after two days of action in Xenia, I am pretty certain that the Allies have a huge lead.
    Fred's P-kruiser sank yesterday at least one time. It seems like it may have sank twice.
    Phil's Normandie sank yesterday as well, with a pump issue of some sort.
    The Galo has sunk a time or two while attempting convoy missions, but has also completed some missions.
    I think the big Italian may have sank as well.
    I am heading off to the battle site.
    Will report more soon.
    Mikey

6. froggyfrenchman

Sundays Treaty battling was U.S. and France against the world.
    The first battle was pretty big, and had lots of action.
    I think Phil's Normandie had to withdraw due to a rudder servo issue.
    There were convoys ships running missions as well.
    I think the world fleet won that one.

The last sortie that I remember left the Chris's USS Arizona going out against pretty much all of the world fleet (which also had a convoy ship running a mission).
    And early on, the Arizona lost rudder control, but was able to survive his time even though the entire world team was pounding on him without mercy.
    That was great fun watching.

The afternoon Treaty battle didn't have as many ships on the water, as the Battlestations folks pulled out to get their Battlestations boats in action.

We did manage to get 5 Battlestations boats into the battle.
    Mark's Henry, my Mogador, Gerry's aircraft-carrier, Phil's convoy ship, and Phil also brought his brand new Whitehall, a minesweeper, or something like that, which he loaned out to Roland.
    So I am not sure if we broke the old Battlestations record, or even tied it for the number of ships in a single battle, but we had a lot of fun with it, and having a couple brand new boats on the water was very cool.

I had to leave out early for a little while, and when I got back the battling had come to a close, and everyone was feeding worms to the fish.
    Mikey

7. froggyfrenchman

All
    Well our annual event Task-Force 3 this past weekend out in Xenia was a huge success.
    We had a lot of folks attend the event, and battle the boats with us, and have a great time.
    We had several new folks drop in, and we were able to loan them our extra boats, so that they could engage in the action instead of just watching it.
    As is usual, some did want to watch the battling, but were able to then run the tugster around and enjoy that.
    We had several convoy ships this time around, and we were able to get quite a few convoy missions going. I think we had at least one member decide that they enjoyed running convoy ships more than warships, so we may very well have dedicated convoy captains down the road.
    It was a great event, and there are a lot of folks that need to be mentioned.
    I am on the run just now. But I will add more later.
    Thanks to all that made this event all that it could be.
    Mikey

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Mikey,
    Are u going to tell them about bismarck going down firday?
    Nikki

9. froggyfrenchman

We had some really great battling in Versailles today.
    Vance was able to come up with me. He never ran a boat today. But he helped out the other folks that were there.
    Chris came up from Indiana with his Arizona.
    Tom Z. came down from Toledo to hang out with us for the day.
    Unfortunately, I was not able to get the USS United States ready in time for the event, so that he could take her out again. But we brought it along to show off.
    A couple of the guys that work at the plant dropped in a couple of times to chat up the boats with us. And one of them, Dustin, decided to have a crack at the combat, and took the old Hood out for a spin.
    He had a great time, and did very well. He is trying to bring his son out tomorrow to have a look.
    We had quite a few one-sortie battles.
    After watching a couple battles, Tom decided to give it a try as well, and took the Prince of Wales out.
    Chris was having some issues with the Arizona, and decided to sideline her. So he ran Jeff C's trusty old Cavour.
    I was running the old Hood, and new better than to enter into a free-for-all with them. It is generally never everyone against everyone. Someone always gets teamed up on. And it seems to almost always be me anyhow. So I took them both on.
    It was a very fun battle with all three ships taking a grunch of damage. Of course, the old Hood took the most. Sometimes I wonder if it is just me!
    That's a joke. Everyone else knows it's just me.
    So anyhow. Lots of fun battling.
    Having Chris, and Tom make the trip out this late in the season for a local battle was especially nice.
    And possibly picking up a new captain or two is exciting.
    Tomorrow, is supposed to have a slight chance of rain in the afternoon.
    But more folks are trying to attend, so we are looking forward to it.
    Mikey

10. froggyfrenchman

Sunday started off with frost on the ground, and cold, early, but it started to warm up nicely.
    Quite a few of the folks that were trying to attend were not able to make it out.
    But I got an early start, and although Vance was not able to attend, I was the first one at the battle site, and got all of my stuff set up.
    After getting batteries and ammo in all of my boats that were battle-ready, I was able to then do something that I almost never get a chance to do at most events. And that is to tinker with some of my other projects that are almost battle-ready that I generally like to bring along "just in case".
    So I got out the Bismarck, and the Victory ship, and was able to get them a little further along. And in most cases, most of the ships that I haven't already gotten battle-ready, are only an hour or two from being at that point.
    Gerry was able to drop in with Xavier, and one of his pals Aiden (sp).
    And after they worked around the battle site for a little while placing some extra launching platforms along the shoreline, we got a battle going.
    The teams were the youngsters, against the over-the-hill-gang.
    Xavier ran the Hood, and Aiden ran Steve V's Prince of Wales (which was on loan for the event).
    Gerry ran Jeff C's Cavour, and I decided to take out Jeff's Lutzow. Both of these ships were also on loan.
    Gerry took the brunt of the allied attack, with my Lutzow trying to not allow both of the British ships to focus all of the attentions on my Italian running mate.
    There was a lot of smack-talk going on between Gerry and Xavier, and all four ships took some damage. But at the end of the battle it was the British ships which carried more damage.
    There were no sinks or penalties on either team, so the battle ended in a draw. But it was great fun.

After that first battle, Gerry and the boys had to head out for other things.
    So with all of the ships turned around, and battle-ready again, I was able to get back to my tinkering with the big German, and then the Prinz Eugan.

Then Frank and his son Corbin dropped in from Fort Wayne, Indiana.
    They have been able ot attend occasional build-sessions with us in the past. But had not made it out for a battle.
    So they decided to take each other on with the two big British ships.
    Frank ran the Prince of Wales, against Corbin in the old Hood.
    We decided to try some convoy-football, so I put my old French aircraft-carrier Bearn on the water.
    I the course of the battle, Frank and Corbin focused mainly on shooting up each other, and although the Bearn did take a fair amount of damage, she did not sink.
    There were no other sinks, and no penalties. So the battle was a draw. And great fun again.

Frank and Corbin decided to have another battle running the same ships. And I decided to field one of my new boats. Namely the brand new Victory ship. This ship has been around for a few years, and has passed through the hands of a few captains.
    So we did another convoy-football game.
    The two Brits again spent most of their time shooting up one-another, and the Victory ship did take some damage, and eventually lost control when I ventured to the far side of the pond. But they pushed me back to the shoreline, and I decided to stay out for a while longer and run around, but in time I lost all control, and had to be pushed in again.
    There were no sinks, or penalties. So the battle ended in another draw. But we all had a great time, and we got a new boat on the water for some photos, and limited action.
    So ended the actual combat for the day. But it was still fairly early, and so we decided to put some of the other ships on the water and just drive them around for some photo ops.
    Corbin wanted to drive the Bismarck, so we got him going in that ship. And then Frank took out the Prinz Eugan. They ran them around having a mock-battle of sorts, and I took lots of photos.
    As it got close to 5pm, we started loading up, and they dropped by my boat shop for some chatting up the boats.
    They are trying to formalize plans for their near-future boat projects. I will let them break that news. But it was a fun way to end a great weekend event.
    What a great time!
    More up-dates to come. But thanks to all that helped put the event together, and make it all that it was. Everyone that was able to attend, had a great time, and that was mainly due to all of the great folks in this group that go the extra mile to make sure that everyone enjoys themselves at our events, so that they look forward to coming out the next chance they get.
    Well done to all!
    Mikey

11. froggyfrenchman

Even though it was pretty cold yesterday (especially in the morning), we put some boats on the water and got some battling in.
    Steve worked on his Penelope early on, and was able to re-engine it and run some new speed trials. It seems like the boat was able to get up to speed with the new propulsion plant.
    Mark showed off his new project. Some sort of GPS unit for speed testing boats. Very small, and in a water-proof case. Just stick it on a boat, and run a straight course.
    I didn't really understand just how it all works. And I was somewhat distracted while I was sorting through my collection of 8-track tapes.
    Phil showed up with a vast collection of boats. Both Treaty and Battlestations. An armed Bearn French aircraft-carrier for Treaty, with sidemounts on both sides and a bow cannon. One of my favorite boats ever.
    While we were waiting for the sun to come out we tinkered with our various projects and chatted up the hobby in general, and the club in particular.
    We got in a two-sortie Treaty battle first.
    Phil's Bearn, and Marks Potemkin took on Steve's New Zealand, Vance's Lutzow, and me in the Cavour.
    Everybody got fairly shot up except for the Lutzow. Vance did a great job playing the role of a cruiser in a capitalship battle.
    I don't think anyone sank. And I don't recall any penalties on either team. So I think it ended in a draw. But it was great fun.
    Our team tried to separate the enemy and team up on the big aircraft-carrier.
    It seemed to be working, but at the same time I think Phil felt like he had us surrounded. He did have the largest, and most heavily armed ship on the water.
    So after one Treaty battle, we decided to work on getting in a Battlestations battle.
    Mark had his British destroyer Minion. I love that little ship. And it's minion crew.
    Vance was running the convoy ship.
    Phil was running the Mogador sporting a brand new torpedo pack.
    And Steve was running Phil's Tashkent with new torpedoes.
    Unfortunately, the Tashkent was dropped at pondside and was not able to make it into the battle. But it was looking great. and running great.
    So we did get in a Battlestation battle with the Mogador hunting down the two convoy ships. Vance's ship took the brunt of the attack, and although pretty shot up, he was able to complete his convoy mission. As did the Minion.
    Phil had to head home right after the battle. And although it was a little early to call it a day, we felt that we had had enough fun and cold for one day, and patched up the boats, and then packed up and headed out.
    Plenty of fun, battling Treaty and Battlestations. And chatting up the boats.
    It will be a little colder this morning, and the afternoon temps will be about the same as yesterday. But Vance and I are planning to load up and head out to the battle site and do it again.
    Our plan for today is to get in at least one Treaty battle, if not more. Maybe have a Battlestations battle, if there is an armed Battlestations boat. It doesn't look like Phil can attend. And last (but not least), get the USS United States, and the British G-3 on the water for at least sea trials.
    More later.
    Mikey

12. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Speed by GPS sounds like it would be great, any idea what GPS receiver he is using?? I ask because when I've looked into GPS for boats in the past the accuracy was never good enough (0.1 m/s sounds great but it is +/- 2 seconds for a 24 sec ship, 0.01 m/s would probably be sufficient for our typical speeds.) If Mark found one that has the accuracy necessary that could be really handy and I think a few of us would be pretty interested in it.

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The GPS I'm used is this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/790 Its rating is 0.1 m/s, but it is reporting speed in 0.01 KPH, which is considerably finer. Regardless, the output isn't as steady as I would like it, so additional experimentation with update rates, WAAS and software averaging is needed. I'll share the setup, software and everything needed to duplicate the system once I'm more satisfied with the performance.

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Thanks, if it really is accurate to 0.01KPH that sounds very promising!

I hope you're successful and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it once you get it working or even lessons learned if you don't.

15. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Is she ok :'(
    Nikki

16. froggyfrenchman

Sunday morning was a little colder early on, but started to warm up earlier, and faster than it had on Saturday.
    Vance decided he was not up for taking on the freezing temps two days in a row, and stayed home where it was warm.
    Folks started showing up and getting their boats ready for the first Treaty battle of the day. Steve had the New Zealand. Mark had his Potemkin. And I got the Cavour ready. I charged the batteries in the Lutzow, and the Altmark, just in case someone else showed up and needed a boat.
    Scott and Kaz showed up to say hello on their way back home from Xenia, and although they did have their own boats with them, they didn't feel like they had the time to dig them out of the SUV and get them ready for the battle. So we dug into our loaner boat stash and put Kaz in the Cavour, and Scott in the Altmark. And I would run the Lutzow.
    As we were putting the boats in the water, I discovered that I had not loaded the cannons on the Lutzow.
    So that boat was left on the table, and I grabbed the camera.
    So the Cavour was given convoy protection duties, and the New Zealand and Potemkin would attack the convoy.
    We decided on a one sortie battle, so that I could join in the second battle with the Lutzow.
    The convoy mission was ten minutes long. And although the Altmark got really shot up good, she did complete her mission.
    All three of the warships took lots of damage, but all survived their five minutes. There were no sinks, or penalties. So Scott scored a victory for his team with a convoy run completed.
    Kas did very well in the Cavour, even though he had never run the ship before.
    A great battle full of action, due to the convoy ship.
    For the second battle I ran the Lutzow to help the Cavour. But Scott was feeling a little under the weather, and opted out for this one. So the Cavour and Lutzow took on the Potemkin, and New Zealand.
    I can't remember if it was one sortie or two. But the action was hot and heavy. The Cavour took the brunt of the allied attack, but did really well, and then the New Zealand started having some pumping issues, as well as control trouble. She came in close to shore and called five out of control.
    The axis dogs pressed their attack for the first minute, after which the New Zealand is no longer a target, but still has to survive the remaining four minutes.
    The axis then focused on the Potemkin, which was holding it's own. That ship not only turns really well. But also is really hard to hit due to low target area. We were all having great fun, when the New Zealand sank with a very low pump output.
    At that point I decided to call my five, as we had a win in hand. And after some thought, and a few more exchanges with the Potemkin, Kaz followed suit, and we both disengaged from the battle, leaving the Russian with nobody she could catch and shoot at.
    So the axis scored another win for the day.
    A very fun battle indeed. And a great time spent with Kaz and Scott.
    But they did need to get back on the road towards home. So they headed out, leaving Mark, Steve, and I.
    As we were not expecting anyone else to make it out, we decided we had had enough fun battling the boats, and would work towards getting the three battlecruisers on the water for some sea trials.
    So after a little work on the tables, we had all three in the water, and ran around long enough to get some photos. It was a great way to close out a truly great event.
    Mikey

17. froggyfrenchman

This weekend's event was one of the most fun events that I have ever been to. Vance was able to come up with me on Saturday for the entire day. Sunday morning he opted to stay home until it warmed up. But as some of the folks that did make it out were needing to leave out early, and others that were hoping to attend ended up not being able to make it, we decided that he stay home.
    The fact that those of us that were there found a nice balance of battling, and tinkering on projects, as well as just relaxing and chatting up the boats was exactly what I was in need of. And I think we were able to make this happen due to the fact that the folks there were all locals. And we all also had projects that we were currently working on, and were excited about.
    So a truly fun and awesome event.
    Thanks to all the supported the event, and made it all that it could be. Those that attended, with or without boats. Those that have provided our group with loaner boats so that others can enjoy them when they can't attend themselves. And those that put on the event. And last, but not least, those that were hoping to come out but couldn't make it happen.
    Mikey

18. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Battle on Sunday 10/18/15
    I cannot tell you how happy I am that we came over to see your battle.
    I had a lot of fun, you are a great bunch of guys.
    I was very impressed on how many boats u had ready for battle.
    I did not intend to battle but I was happy if I was able to add to the fun.
    Kas

19. froggyfrenchman

Kas
    You did indeed add to the fun. The only way you could have added more to the fun would be if you had sunk.
    And that might be asking too much from someone that was just passing through.
    Mikey

20. froggyfrenchman

Some great fun out there today. One Treaty battle. One Battlestations battle. Lots of tinkering.
    We were able to get one new boat on the water in combat. And we also got our two new pre-dreads on the water for
    sea trials.
    We will be building early tomorrow while we wait for the temps to rise a little. Then head up to the battle site.
    I will post some up-dates early next week probably.
    Mikey

NickMyers likes this.