battle

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by JasonC, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    The battle date is the 24th. I'm not on call this weekend so can battle in the Valley if there's a suitable pond. Any potential sites Jason and Scott?

Locallye can try the Grove if it isn't busy, or the old site at Maynard Lake.

Bob

2. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    I can go if the battle is local. I won't have a car (except for drop-off and pick-up)

The Konig might be ready for battle. I restored the cannons last night. The guns are not tweaked, but they feed properly. Now I just need to dig up the o-rings. I have enough, but I put them somehwere were they wouldn't be lost.

I found the resistor I took out of the Invincible. I will wire it up sometime today. This should let me bring the speed down (at the cost of efficiency) At the same time I will replace the push-on switch for the pump and wire it directly to the battery. (I left my 6ch transmitter at the pond the first time I took the boat out - now I am back to the old 4ch and can't turn on the pump remotely. Dumb!)

After that it is all dress-up stuff. I'll do as much as I can, but if it's not ready for battle, it should be ready for a shake-down cruise.

3. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

the grove or lake sound good there is nothing down here atm the only spot would be the lake in windsor where sam slick is but dont know how much that place is used.

4. Bob Pottle

OK,
    Let's plan to meet at the Grove and if it's too busy with kayakers or something else, we'll go to Maynard Lake, which is a few minutes away.

What's a good time for everyone? How about 1330h to allow the Valley guys plenty of time to get here? The battle should take less than 2 hours.

Steve will let me know when the tank (which is being filled) will be ready for pick-up. I'll get it refilled next Monday and return it.

Bob

5. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    That sounds good to me -- only hiccup will be if we need to move since I'll already be dropped off and I'll need to hitch a ride.

I have the Konig all rewired. I started to apply the waterline tape and found out I had only about 8 inches left. I'll get some tomorrow. After that the only thing left is to put in the gun barrels.
    I found enough o-rings, but not my stash.

I will need a couple of minutes at the lake to set the ballast and to tweak my guns. It hasn't been thoroughly debugged yet, but it has had a couple of cruises with no driveline problems (but none this year).
    The guns have never been fired in in the boat except to test the BB feed.

The potential for disaster is there, but I feel brave.

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

The waterline tape is more for looks if you all decide to not count damage.
    We still have it on our ships, but mainly for the cameras and video.
    Just a thought.
    Mikey

7. Bob Pottle

Mikey,
    The opinion locally is that we'll still count damage (which is still in the revised Treaty rulebook).

Rob,
    Konig will not be the only ship not fully tested this weekend so don't worry, we're mainly getting together for a fun time, even if all ships are not A1 yet.

Tom will have his dad's truck so can transport you if we have to change sites.

I've been too busy helping Tom with Erebus to prep the Minotaur. It will appear with it's upwardly warped bow hatch (should throw off the bow gun's aim a bit!), and will get the same motors and props that work best for the slightly lighter Black Prince. I plan to speed test the BP again this evening. Guns will be tested tomorrow using some of my CO2 capsules.

Bob

Bob

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

So have you decided on the location and time for your battle.?

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

See Bob's post above, since nobody objected the battle is at 1:30 at the Grove and may have a site change to Maynard Lake which is close by.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

FYI on Maynard Lake. The shoreline is not the same as it was in the early days of battling there. Overgrown with very tall weeds and there are large chunks of concrete strewn on the launching site because the small concrete wall block I stood on is now rubble. Also there are homes now developed at the end so parking might be an issue and stray bbs. If you can find another location around that lake go for it. I may be wrong on this but last I was there that's how it looked.

11. Bob Pottle

Thanks for the heads up Curt. I haven't been to the Maynard Lake site in almost 8 years. If the Grove is occupied we can go to Spectacle Lake in Burnside. I found a small cove there that looks suitable and is close to the parking area, but we'll have to stay close to shore - the depth further out is unknown and the colour suggests it is deep. The Frog Pond on Purcell's Cove Rd. is 5-10 minutes further away but known to be shallow.

Bob

12. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

wow i have just learned why is a bad thing for an iowa for your first ship i just spent 4-5 hours working on the air system i belive i have everything working now so not just a new wire harness and jersey is ready [:D]

13. Bob Pottle

That's good news Jason.

I don't know if Tom and I will finish the Erebus by Sunday - I have unexpected visitors from NB for 4 days and won't be able to give Tom as much help as planned. We'll install the wiring harness tonight but I think he'll have to finsh the rest of the work himself or bring the Nagato instead.

With the NJ almost ready it would be better to have the Nagato in action than a 2 unit, slow moving monitor.

Bob

14. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Good hunting Guys.

15. Bob Pottle

Thanks Chris,
    I hope all goes well for Cannats X.

Bob

16. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Here is hoping.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I am am still awaiting my vacation approval. Looks like I won't be able to see my oncologist till the 18th. That bump is still there and it is very tender around my abdomen.

Meanwhile GF is checking the coach lines here to see about shipping and I may use the Coach line to travel instead depending on costs and time.

18. Bob Pottle

Latest ship list for Sunday's battle:

HMS Abdiel - Class 1 fast minelayer
    HMS Erebus - Class 2 monitor
    HMS Black Prince - Class 3 (using IRCWCC units) armored cruiser
    HMS Minotaur - Class 3 armored cruiser
    SMS Von der Tann - Class 4 battlecruiser
    SMS Konig - Class 5 dreadnought
    USS New Jersey - Class 7 battleship

Possibly attending:

USS Little Rock - Class 3 cruiser
    USS Washington - Class 6 battleship

We need more Axis ships!

Bob

19. Bob Pottle

Important notice!!

The CO2 tank is full but unusable at present because the fill station valve is missing a gas-tight washer. If I can't find a replacement washer tomorrow or buy a new fill station valve from Banshee Paintball we'll have to use the alternative plan of arrving at the battle with all of our spare CO2 bottles full. Between us we should have enough bottles for a 2 sorite battle. About half of the models will be using CO2 capsules.

Bob

20. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Have fun guys.