Battlecruiser Motors

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Ace_Austin, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

Question to those out there with some builds under their belt. I've got four 1.25" props driving a 33kt Lexington CC (Big Gun). So I need her to run 34 seconds. As far as gearing and motor size I am open to hear the gouge.
    Ian

2. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Are you building for big gun or treaty?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

He's doing big gun :)

4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

I think they all use those really tiny motors, don't even remember the size number but they are about the size of a microservo. Every big gun ship I've seen has those, but in fairness I've only seen about 4, so maybe its just the 4 that i've seen...

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My brother drives his Midway-class carrier with two 540/383 mabuchis, direct drive. It is capable of VERY high speeds, far more than is required. Wish we could find more of these motors, they are a very nice bit of kit.
    His USS North Carolina uses four 6V Speed 400 motors on direct drive with no issues.
    We rarely use gearing in our ships, for us, it's just adding another failure point.
    My mother's Carriciolo-class BB does use a belt drive system for it's four props, and two 540 mabuchis. It's geared down to about 2:1
    It can (if we open the throttle wide) get up and plane. Looks like a big PT boat when it does that.