Battlers Connection Micro Bilge Pump

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by webwookie, Apr 6, 2008.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

hehe I'm pretty sure Carl wouldn't sell to me.

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Not sure I don’t get in to politics and don’t want to. All I know is I order what is asked to whom it goes isn’t my concern. That’s too bad though this hobby is too small to have bickering and it is a great pump to miss out on. I am a spokesmen for life after watching it in my ship 3 sinks with out it 1 with it faulty wiring on my part (ripping the old one out and putting his in at 1am [|)])

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

BC pumps are probably as good, Doesn't treaty restrict the amount/volume that you can pump? I actual run my own pump based off Carl's first auto pump design with my own pump housing.

4. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Carl doesn't actually sell pumps, he just makes a couple extra for helping others out. He spends more time in the design, that is where he shines.

5. crzyhawk

Yes, Treaty restricts the amount of water you can pump so for total amounts of water there is no advantage so to speak as most pumps will reach those limits with ease. That being said, efficiency and size are always important, and Carl's pumps are both smaller and more efficient to the best of my knowledge then just about anything out there.

As for the auto pump switch, I've never used one and don't plan to anytime soon. I've seen too many of the darned things fail for me to have any level of trust in them. I prefer to trust myself to remember to turn it on, and if I fail to do that, well, there's only one place to put the blame. That being said, the ones I have seen fail I think were older BC designs and it had to do with them only working with clean water. I think that's been corrected. I've certainly never seen Carl's pump fail short of his wiring going up in a pall of smoke.

Carl definitely shines in design. He has been and will hopefully continue to be an innovator for the hobby for years to come. Some of the stuff I've heard attributed to him make me scratch my head and and say how the heck did someone even THINK of that.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The BC mini pump is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to reliability. With a strong 380 size motor, the pump moves a lot of water. How much water? Enough to easily keep a Mogami afloat and battling with 7 belows during the last MWC Nats. That is almost unheard of for a small cruiser.

My Gloire uses the BC mini pump with a Graupner 4.8 volt Speed 400 Motor on a 7.2 volt battery pack. The ship's pumping rate is awesome and definitely increases survivability for the small ship. I have no idea what the amp draw is, but that isn't an issue when using a 10 amp hour battery pack.

One last thought...the Camerati impeller does move more water, but during the Nats two captains swapped them out for BC impellers for more reliability. I'll stay with the hot-rodded but reliabile BC pump for now.

7. Powder Monkey

Well the BC Small pump couldn’t keep my Boston afloat during the IRCWCC NATS in three attempts same hose same outlet 3 sinks to 1 and the 1 was my fault [:I] don’t get me wrong here I love BC they have great stuff however I guess my luck is just stronger with Carl’s Pump we will chock it up to karma and like they say I would rather be lucky than good [:D]

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Did you have the BC pump wired up backwards? Maybe when you changed pumps that was fixed and that's why you pumped more water out.
    7 belows is not a lot for a heavy CA. I've seen CAs take 15+ and survive. It's all about a good hull skin. I put 45 into a Glorie class to get it down. It was a "test" to see how much it could take. I fired, stopped, fired, stopped... We guessed it was at 25-30 and still floating. It was also not moving and the windy was calm.
    With your Boston you should be running 10 amp hour NIHM and a large pump with a Stinger motor. If the IRC is going to keep CAs the same speed as BB/BC then you need to build it like a BB/BC. If you don't it's meat.

9. Powder Monkey

LOL no it was wired correctly I'm not as stupid as I look I did a pump test with the two in the sink BC pumped out my bucket in 14 seconds and Carl’s in 9 that would be the difference and yes my skin was painted wrong another learning curve but Hull buster set me straight and that is being changed as we speak

10. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Looking at the scores I dont think it was belows that put him under, Sinks with 31-8-11 (this is pretty good damage for a cruiser so looks like you might have mixed it up a little to much in the first battle) ,12-1-4, and 36-2-1 while surviving 2-0-5. Looks like you got chewed on by some sterns and then the fast battleships were able to run you till you sank. Not being able to get away from the fast battleships really is a handicap for cruisers in the IRC. Can you shed any light on that Powder?

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I used both Camurati Pumps, Swampworks pumps, BC, pumps and Basin Shipyard Pumps. The Camurati gave me the greatest pumping rate but I did not find them as reliable as the BC pumps. The Basin Shipyard pumps work tremendously well. I had the pump injest bbs through the impellor and spit them out no problem without damaging the impellor. I have had my model survive with the large BC pump no problem. My Old Bismarck had just the small swampy pump for 6 years and the pump kept the ship afloat very well short of a very LARGE ram hole in her side. I like the compactness of the Camurati but I found the impellor blades would fail after a while or the collar would break free of the impellor. Battler's used to make a round punp housing which I found great for getting into those tight spaces but they don't make them anymore.SO far I like the Basin SHipyard pump for it's ability to evacuate water very well and the robustness of the impellor. The Housing is a little large but very durable. Basically I have a wide variety of pump types and find each of them to work very well.

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Tugboat currently has the basin shipyards molds.

-Greg

13. Powder Monkey

Yes speed was defiantly an issue even the 26 can run me down when I’m loaded with water and do to some of my rookie building mistakes (built it pretty much on my own)i had britle skin that chunked bad choice of paint and she was extremely tippy so the on and above where usually under at some point or another and more often than not the sink I had that was long was because I was running from a Yamato and the more I ran the faster she dropped in the water.

It was as most disasters pan out to be a symphony of little mistakes and coincidences that no one can explain that create the catastrophic failure. In other words I didn’t see the dam Iceberg but did you hear that crunch [;)]

I never could understand (I’m sure there is a reason or it wouldn’t be so) why for instance a Baltimore Class ship @ 33Knots real world gets 24 second and a Yamato a 27 knots real world gets 24 second as well doesn’t make sense to me

14. crzyhawk

"I never could understand (I’m sure there is a reason or it wouldn’t be so) why for instance a Baltimore Class ship @ 33Knots real world gets 24 second and a Yamato a 27 knots real world gets 24 second as well doesn’t make sense to me "

The reasoning is in the rules. Speed is based off the length, so the Yamato is simply getting her speed from her length category.

That's one of the things we decided to change for treaty, and we use speed based off the real speed of the ships so a 33 knot Baltimore is 6 seconds faster then a 27 knot Yamato. It's firepower is still limited, but at least it can run away.

15. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

That is a good idea, maybe we can adapt that for fast gun, or at least have a wider range of speeds, based on ship type too

16. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Speed by length makes sense from a scale model prespective. Hydrodynamically they behave similar to the actual boats they are supposed to represent. Also it seems to work out pretty well from a game play perspective.

17. Powder Monkey

Yes it does Snip if you are the faster bigger ship [;)]

18. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Thanks Monk, what i mean is, a smaller ship is (usually) at the disadvantage of having less fire power, but take away its speed advantage, and it just makes cruisers even more useless(sorry monk, but you know what i mean).

19. Powder Monkey

LOL YES I DO [:p]

20. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

BUT, two cruisers on one battleship and you have a different story. One of the hardest parts of NATS is working and sticking together with a wingman. Throw three cruisers against a battleship piloted by semi-experienced captains and they will win everytime (usually the battleship gets frustrated as they won't sit still long enough to shoot).