Battlers in or around PA

Discussion in 'Independents' started by Beaver, Jan 7, 2014.

1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I guess I should start the build thread and get this one back on topic.. but.....
    It still needs a bit of fine tuning, and of course I need to have the bit EDGE the line not FOLLOW the line, and adjust the tool paths a bit for the water channel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was just some scrap 1/8 luanne I had in the basement. I would rather cut up some scrap wood than an expensive piece of ply.
    The Z axis needs some work as well. The tool path should have taken it from 0 to -.25" but it didnt cut through the .125" luanne, so tweeking needs to be done.
    You can also see on my first few attempts what happens when the travel speed is WAY too high. The machine was throwing the gantry around like a ragdoll so it couldnt keep any accuracy.

2. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

ypu might want to make sure that 3ft deep pond is not a sewer pond.

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

It's not. It's fed by a mountain spring. :)

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Bob Amend has a couple of nice ponds available in Red Lion, PA. I used to battle with him fast gun at first and more recently treaty. I mentioned there were a couple of guys looking to battle in his area, and he told me to give you his email address. Rather than just posting it up, hit me with a PM and I'll send it to you.

5. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

6. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

I'm in the general vicinity of PA! Once Jean Bart is finished, I'd be willing to battle with you fast gunners!

7. rocketsmith

rocketsmith Member

There will be an RC flea market at J&C's Hobby Shop in Penn Hills, just east of Pittsburgh on sunday sept. 28. I will be setting up an information display with ships and various equipment to show off, and handing out DVDs with information and assorted plans from which to build models and guns. If you are in the area stop by. Nikki will also be there for a brief time, but has other commitments and must leave early. The flea market starts around 7 am and usually winds down by noon or 1 pm. I will be there between 6 and 6:30 to start setting up. This is the biggest hobby flea market in the area, with usually 40 to 50 people selling (and buying), sometimes more- it's an outdoor event and much depends on the weather. If it's raining don't bother.
    Flea markets like this are your best source for all kinds of parts for model warships. Used servos in perfectly good condition for ships can (and have) sold for as little as $1. Stainless steel control-line cable for $.50/reel. Boxes of balsa sheet and shapes for a fraction of the original price. Brushed motors for similar prices as people switch to brushless motors, and speed controls for the brushed car motors for $5. Two channel surface radios for $10 and assorted aircraft frequency radios starting at same. If you are building on a budget this is definitely a place to check out.
    Regular flea markets are not to be scoffed at either. I have been collecting tools for anyone else interested in wooden ship building to pass on at cost. I have 2 scroll saws, 2 band saws and a drill press, as well as some other tools I am reconditioning for next time, in April. If you are interested in anything let me know- otherwise I probably won't bring the tools. I want to see them go to ship builders.
    I also keep an eye on the plywood stocks at Lowes for any damaged sheets (half price!) and any remodeling projects where useful items- such as interior doors- are being thrown away. I also have several sheets of sintra. If you haven't wanted to buy whole 4x8 sheets of ply because it's to expensive or you can't fit it in your car, but their is a ship you want to build, contact me and I may be able to help you out.
    The hobby shop's web page is here:
    http://www.jchobbies.com/
    Contact me through this site mail system or at my email:
    rocketsmith@hotmail.com
    If you are interested in future battles in the are come to the flea market or get in touch. Hope to see you there.

Jeff

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Sadly I have to bow out of this one! I have family coming in :(
    Nikki

9. rocketsmith

rocketsmith Member

I'm sorry to hear that Nikki. You never know what you might find there. Also I'm afraid I may have given the wrong idea When I said 40 - 50 vendors show up to sell and buy. I should have also said several hundred show up just to look and buy, and to take advantage of the hobby shop's sale prices.

Jeff

10. NASAAN101

I know, I'm hoping to be there at Nov. in export!
    niki

11. rocketsmith

rocketsmith Member

The display at the Legion Hall in Export went very well. Their was a lot of interest and I met several veterans who told about serving on various ships, and we have another possible battle site. In addition I picked up a HK T6A V2 complete set for $10 (missed another tx in the auction for $5), a Dremel battery driven tool for $1 and an electric racing boat (to cannibalise) for $10.

The next swap meet in our area will be the first sunday in Feb. - yeah, superbowl sunday- look get your priorities straight- at the same location.

Cheers

12. NASAAN101

Jeff.
    Sorry, about how late I got there. :'(
    Nikki