Battleships with 3 shafts

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Tugboat, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I will look at the model of my Tirpitz engine and post it, it a very efficent engine that does not drain the batteries or get hot but costs about 60 dollars canadian.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I had contemplated going Brushless, but MWC rules still mandate using a pump motor no larger than your drive motor. I'm not sure if there is an outrunner that will bolt up to one of the commonly-available pumps...

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

how do the MWC rules define "larger"?

4. Tugboat

They specify a pump motor 'no larger than the largest propulsion motor on the model'. Sounds like they mean physical size, although I see your point. My issue is that I don't want to cause any big arguments at Nats over rules interpretations.

5. GregMcFadden

well then, wait a bit.... this winter, after I get the bayern hull from you, I will be designing a large pump around a brushless motor.

-Greg

6. Tugboat

Greg, the boxes with the molds are going to Strike as soon as they get back from NY... and your Baden hull is already boxed up and waiting to go (as of my last conversation with Stephen). It's almost a shame that I'm going Red for next Nats... a Missouri 1984 would look cool on the water at Nats :)

Oh, and Brian brought me one of his Baden turrets. They are Schweet! and getting more details added on top of that! I'll post a pick at some point.

7. GregMcFadden

cool! time to start specking in a motor for the pump I have yet to design...

8. Tugboat

What size prop for the Baden with a single driven prop?

9. GregMcFadden

We will see... I was thinking about whatever wouldn't protrude down too far below the ship (lots of shallows and rocks round here)

10. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey Tugs,
    I run my Scharnhorst on a single 550 , gearbox and a 2 inch 4 blade 40 pitch prop, all from Battlers. No problem getting to speed, running and I stop very well. I am considering running Scharnhorst on all three next year but I haven't decided yet.
    J

11. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Been Running my Konig Class now with an RS-750SH powering the Center with a 25 pitch, 2 inch, 4 blade prop. As stated earlier when going into reverse it pulls to one side. With myself up I run it works very well for me that way, but still takes a bit getting used to. The motor is a nice torque motor.