Battlestations- Midway

Discussion in 'General' started by iamscottym, Jan 30, 2007.

1. iamscottym

iamscottym Member

I happened across a demo video of this game on youtube. The pre-release for PC just came out this weekend, and there's a free demo available. I downloaded it, and will be playing it shortly. It looks great- you can command surface ships, subs and planes.

http://www.battlestations.net/home/

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I saw this... Way cool. To bad only for XBox360 & PC. I would have to update the PC to use it, I'm not buying a 360.

I thought there was some strange limitation to it that made it "not so cool"? Am I wrong?

3. iamscottym

iamscottym Member

There are only a couple problems I've heard of. The first is that the demo only has some of the planes/ships/subs that the full version will have. It's also kind of buggy. Both of these issues are presumably resolved in the retail version.

The other complaint, which will affect the full version, is the practice of people kamikaziing all their planes after they drop their weapons. This is due to the fact that your next flight of planes cannot take off till the previous flight of planes crash or make it back and land. Since each aircraft carrier has 120 planes, people just crash their planes to launch the next flight faster. However, there's already talk of not allowing this in certain servers, similar to the 'no awp' and 'no frag' servers in Counter Strike. This solution is then up to players, so even if Eidos doesnt issue a patch to fix this, it shouldn't be a problem.

I have yet to get it to run on my comp, but I'm not sure if it's just the game being buggy or my vid card being a little lacking. However, my vid card does meet the minimum requirements (I have an ATI 9800 Pro, min req is ati 9000). The rest of my system is up to snuff, 3.2Ghz P4, 1GB 533Mhz RAM, though its 2.5 years old and is due for replacement soon.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

If you really want a naval sim, you should take a look at the game Strategic Naval Gunnery:
    http://members.tripod.com/hsr_historicalgames/index.html
    The graphics may not be spectacular, but it allows single-player or multiplayer games simulating every major battle up to and including all 250-odd ships at Jutland. It covers every era of big gun combat including Russo-Japanese war, WWI, WWII, and others. And apparently the AI is SMART, ie screening battleships with destroyers, using historically accurate tactics, and generally giving even veteran players a run for their money. It's a bit expensive, but I for one definitely want Strategic Naval Gunnery.

5. JustinScott

hsr seems to be dead or nearly dead.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

That looks very cool! Did anyone happen to notice the Axis and Allies updated game? I can't find it anywhere...

7. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

I have been playing the demo for the 360 for the past few days and freeking love it its just the kind of game i have been looking for for years

8. JustinScott

How many Warships are in the game? I looked at the website & there seems to be only 1/2 dozen or so. :( That is the main reason why I don't own the game right now.

9. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

well in the demo u only get 1 multi player map so im not sure on a unit count but this is not an ultra real agam the game play is kinda arcardy but its fun and u really gota think to play like if ur a carrier u cna only lunch 3 waves of 3 planes at a time so u gota know what to lanch and if ur a shipyart u gota know what ship ya need cause a shipyaed can only luanch 2 ships at a time. but like i said the game is arcadey not not realistic cause if my battleship is sunk i can re-lunach it righ away as long as my ship yard is still alive