Photos Battlestations shipyards

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by froggyfrenchman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

2. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

That's an impressive cannon, did you build it yourself?

3. froggyfrenchman

I am not certain..
    But I think that cannon may have been made by Jason. An Indiana style cannon.
    It was originally set up in an Italian heavy cruiser Bolzano in the MBG (big-gun) club.
    Interestingly enough.. The large destroyers in battlestations are pretty much the same size
    as the heavy cruisers in 144th scale. The big ones at least.
    I can't recall what they called this type of cannon. But it is just one assembly, with two turrets.
    Very interesting indeed.
    Mikey

4. froggyfrenchman

The boat here is a Mogador class French super-destroyer.
    Mikey

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Internal layout test...Please forgive the tubing, everything is still plumbed from the previous boat, and I did not feel like messing with it.
    The large white object inline with the tank simulates a larger size tank. The other two plastic bits simulate Clippard volume chambers for Arizona style torpedoes..
    [​IMG]
    The ESC is directly in front of the stern cannon accumulator, then the pump, then SMAV-3s & servos, space for regulator, tank (7oz hopefully), then bow cannon. Underneath the bow accumulator, in the water channel sits a 6.6v 2300 mAh LiFePo4 battery pack. Also note the sail winch servos (well one's a hacked HS-322). These might get changed to the Vigor sailwinches Strike carries
    Battery load for motors should be about 0.80 amps (2 Maxxon-A's) and 0.20 for the pump.
    This is all very preliminary until I get the shafts & motors in.
    I also may not be able to have all the goodies due to weight...

6. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Hmmm...
    Weight is 8lbs right now. No regulator, no rudder, no motors, no props, no shafts, no torps, no fiberglass, no superstructure, no ammo.
    My math says 7.5lbs standard displacement and 10 lbs full load
    :ermm: :( :crying: :sick:

Ok, Time to look at the things I cannot change:
    Hull - can't really do anything here rigth now 17oz and counting. still need to glass, etc...
    Cannons - might drop the stern or bow gun. 26oz each
    Battery - 6.5 oz for 2300 mAh
    Esc & servos - 10oz . if I drop one rotate and switch from HS-765HB to Vigor I can get down to 6oz
    Tank - 17.8 full 14.3 enpty (which it is now)
    That is 6 lbs. 4oz as is and 4lbs 6oz dropping a cannon and changing servos
    add plumbing, pump, deck......everything else

7. DarrenScott

Only one real way to see if your math is right, tape her up and float her. With luck, your math is just wrong enough to allow all your "goodies".

8. froggyfrenchman

Taping her up for a float test would be the easy way.
    I have heard of folks wrapping the hull with plastic for a float test as well.
    I am not all that up on the weights allowed and all.
    Mikey

9. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I can drop a lot of weight with the plumbing. I've got a lot of brass right now.
    Replace the brass quick connects with the ones from BC. Drop the brass L fittings when ever possible. Inline barb T and X fittings instead of brass blocks plus barbs. The alluminum 4 or6 inlet terminal strip to replace all fittings possible. The regulators are the only big items I cannot do without.
    Nikki, this will ne the Mogador.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Dustin, I think you should seriously consider reducing your gun armament. One thing a lot of Big Gun skippers do wrong is they try to cram in all the bells and whistles they can, and end up with an overloaded, unreliable ship. I have found through extensive experience that it is better to have fewer guns and a more reliable ship than more guns and a ship that never works. You will have much better results by dropping two turrets. If you do, there are three options:

1) drop both stern turrets, and keep the bow turrets. You can then use the former stern gun as a complete spare gun for the bow. This also simplifies your rotation, reduces the load on the skipper's brain, and gives you extra space in the hull so you can make maintenance easier. It will also be much easier for you to get 270+ degrees of rotation out of the bow guns, so you won't really miss the stern guns much. I have used a similar setup in my battleship Viribus Unitis for years, and a good rotating bow gun is amazing.

2) drop one turret in the bow and one turret in the stern. This requires a more extensive rebuild, as you would have to make or buy new cannon bases and then adapt the current magazines to them. On the other hand, it will avoid the complexity and inefficiency of tandem cannons, and still give you a stern gun for defense.

3) build another ship around the stern guns. This has all the benefits of suggestion #1 except instead of a complete spare gun, you have a complete spare ship. Or an opponent to battle against, whichever you prefer.

11. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Well after a late night and an early morning, I came to realize that even dropping the plumbing weight, I still really will not be dropping that much. I will probably drop the stern assembly which will free up a total of 28oz, and look at reducing weight on the brass bits while I'm at it.
    It was going to be a real challenge getting everything to fit in the first place, hitting my target weight and keeping trim/stability under control were just going to add complexity.
    It really bums me out too as I spent two evenings getting the mounting point for that rear assembly to where it sat low enought to clear the deck for rotation without messing up the hull contours.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing in the rules that says I cannot use a couple of fixed fast gun cannons :D

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Well, I got the shafts in today with a lot of help from Mikey. I had to cut out part of the stern mounting point. There is no way the stern assembly will fit now, but that is a good thing as makes me focus in other areas that need it instead of obsessing on fitting those two turrets in.

13. froggyfrenchman

14. DarrenScott

Looks like you could save some room in the bow with a shorter, fatter accummulator on the bow cannon. There's probably a fair bit of "meat" you could shave off both cannon bearing mounts as well.
    Have you taped her up and floated her to see how much she can actually carry?

15. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

havent taped yet, she weighs in right now as is 32lbs, she is allowed around 100lbs so needing to add batteries, and one more tripple mount, maybe torpedoes, I have about 68lbs to play with, guns are what i could find in the right caliber,

16. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

haha nevermind, i just now saw Dustins post, i thought you were referring to that last pic that Froggyfrenchman posted LOL!! I was scratching myhead wondering why you were saying saving room and what not, man i need to get some sleep!

17. froggyfrenchman

18. froggyfrenchman

That might be an interesting photo.
    Why not?
    Mikey

19. froggyfrenchman

20. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahh, so much more spacious now that the rear guns are gone. There's suddenly room for everything. Do I see an MJV torpedo cannon under construction on that table?