BB-45

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by rcengr, Jul 31, 2015.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I had an unanticipated piece of good luck yesterday when traveling home from my vacation. We were leaving out of the Seattle airport and stopped in at the USO to relax and get a bite to eat. They had a model of the USS Colorado, some pictures and small artifacts. Then I saw the following sign.
    0730151733.jpg

Who knew that you could find such a treasure in an obscure corner of the SeaTac airport!
    0730151733a.jpg

0730151733b.jpg

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool.

3. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Aren't they wonderful?! I have a piece of the deck of the USS Missouri. Given to me by a volunteer while they were tearing up and replacing the decks with some concrete-like stuff.

4. Anachronus

You would think that they would have learned not to use concrete on steel decks. It just makes the corrosion worse.

Tugboat likes this.
  5. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

concrete = doesn't need finish carpenter to install and maintain. Plus it is real easy to get and you don't need special paperwork to harvest and market.

buttsakauf likes this.
  6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

That concrete stuff is called non-skid. It's a two part epoxy product.

7. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

ahhh! non-skid. the stuff you never want to fall on, and the pleasure of becoming a "Shellback"(crossing the equator, spending the entire day crawling around on hands and knees on non-skid, and having garbage dumped on you too...FUN)

8. Anachronus

Non-skid is fine. It is when they actually use concrete as on certain museum ships where the problems come in.

9. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I am acutely aware of what non-skid is. My knees have found it many times! I am a "real deal", small deck, US Navy sailor. Wood ships, iron men... Minesweepers! What they were applying was much thicker than any non skid. Appeared to be upwards of 2" thick.