BB-55 USS North Carolina

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Don Folk, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

The greatest journey starts with the first step...

Mine started today with the unboxing of an uncut Striker NC hull that I bought off a member on this site.

I’m excited to proceed but recognize the need for face to face interaction with experienced builders before I make a mess of things...

Much more to come.

Attached Files:

NASAAN101, SteveT44 and Beaver like this.
  2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Yay. Cant wait to see her Don.
    Nikki

3. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Learned much today; armor belts, stringers and skegs are new additions to my vocabulary. Shout out to @Gettysburg114th for not blocking me... yet.

Is this stuff good to do the fiberglass work?

bondo resin.jpg

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

not in the house. you'll stink yourself out with poly resin in the house.

why do you need to do glass work, hull looks new?

5. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

It's a striker hull so the skegs are not installed. I have a workshop in my shed I'll be makin the stink in...

6. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Lou and Don Folk like this.
  7. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

I'm getting ready to mark the rib locations on her.

Went out to ircwcc shiplist website and found the max scale weight of the NC is 38.62 lbs minus the hull weight of 3.8 lbs ... so I need add about 35 lbs to the hull to mark her water line.

does this sound reasonable?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  8. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Yes, or you can pour in 38 pounds of water into the uncut hull to get the waterline.

Don Folk likes this.
  9. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

0B60B5D4-BDAE-410D-A68E-EAD6458F1C2A.jpeg So I filled the hull with 38lbs of water, which was just under 5 gallons. I marked the outside of the hull based on the waterline (it’s the small marks on the hull in between the two red lines) and then measured 1” down to mark the low point in the windows. That’s represented by the TOP of the bottom red line.

Then I measured 3/8” down from the top of the hull and now I need to do the 1/8” stringer for the armor belt.

Can you guys/gals take a look to ensure I’m on the right track? It looks like my window bottoms are too high.

indie2002uk likes this.
  10. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Hey Don,
    Good to see you moving along. A few recommendations

You probably don't want to plan for max weight right off the bat, might want to remark with about 35 lbs and build to that weight. Lighter weights are more limiting since the bottom of windows will have to be lower. Once you get that mark (probably will be about 1/4" lower than at 38 lbs), remember to account for the thickness of the waterline (1/8" from center), and then go at least 1 inch from there. If I'm uncertain about exactly how the trim will work out, I will cut hulls at 1 1/4" down from the water surface to leave a 1/8" buffer so I don't have to worry being legal. On the NC I believe the bottom should be just above the bulge on the sides, probably 1/4" to 3/8" up from the edge.

Steve will have an NC at Nate's battle next month, can't really beat seeing one in person

kgaigalas likes this.
  11. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Great info, thanks Kevin. Barring death, divorce or jail time I'm going that weekend (well... even if one of the three happen, I'll probably still make it up - I'll let you guess which one).

I did change a few things up since the picture above. I reduced the hard area at the top of the hull to a 1/4" and then put two 1/8" stringers above and below the armor belt. Seeing that I'm still within the 1/2" window, is that an ok change? If I do go with the 35ish lb water line can I keep the windows 21 - 24 at the same height as I believe I saw something about exceeding 45 degrees is no longer part of the window? The stringer pictures are a bit misleading as the image is angled down - they are lined up to be 1/4" in total, 1/8 at the bottom of the armor belt and then 1/8 at the top of where the hull bumps out again IMG_3731.JPG IMG_3732.JPG IMG_3733.JPG IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG IMG_3736.JPG IMG_3737.JPG

12. Kevin P.

you only get one 1/8" stringer there, so you should go back to 3/8" deck rim, and then you'll have to 'straddle' the horizontal portion. Generally leave more material under the horizontal part (3/32") and just a lip above. And yes with 45 degree turn you shouldnt have to change the aft few windows, the rest of the hull are definitely too high (people might mistake you for Kas)

13. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Ok great, I'll redo the whole side:
    - changing back to 3/8 deck rim
    - having only a single stringer
    - basing my water line on a more modest 35ish lb range

thanks again - I still won't start cutting anything until I can get an experienced builder to eyeball it in person...

14. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

15. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

OK, I dropped it to 34lbs then remeasured the bottom of the window, put the 3/8 deck rim back and switched to a single 1/8th stringer. think I'm good to finish up the other side?

IMG_3738.JPG IMG_3739.JPG IMG_3740.JPG IMG_3741.JPG IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3743.JPG

16. Kevin P.

Looks good, only comment is to adjust bottom on 20 to make a smooth transition between the 1” below water line and 45 degree

Don Folk likes this.
  17. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

4F91FFBD-2794-4E54-AF0B-ADC0A2271E89.jpeg I drilled the whooooole thing... tomorrow starts the cutting

Maxspin, Lou, Kevin P. and 1 other person like this.
  18. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

B525E272-997F-4C53-BF4F-AC6C6E510CB3.jpeg

Still have a bit of clean up and sanding but no broken ribs nor stringer!!! Weeeee! It’s about the small victories!

Anvil_x, Maxspin, Kevin P. and 2 others like this.
  19. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

I got all the ribs sanded nicely (defined by a rookies eye). The windows and ribs look pretty good. I’ve hit a wall with the skegs though. I’ve read through Kevin’s skegs build process referenced above but I really don’t want to make a mistake on this part. I think I’ll hold off until the 15th for the Bradford battle/ build session to get advice. On pause for now...

20. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

6F93159C-38C6-432E-B8A9-C81CA4767695.jpeg B3C0907F-6319-42E5-8AE3-05E5282389BF.jpeg 2B6F7695-AF76-4EE9-8FD9-B7708678E1E5.jpeg

Modified the radio tonight. Buttons on back, two additional channels have the switches on the right gimbal location. Button below the switches is for my 5:00 timer. I have to print a small button guard for the back yet and some simple plugs for the switches I unplugged. I could have it back to factory pretty quick if needed.

thegeek and SteveT44 like this.