BB / Mag Speed Loader

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by TorpCruiser, Jul 3, 2023.

1. TorpCruiser

TorpCruiser Active Member

BB gun & airsoft Speed Loaders are the answer to faster loading/reloading of ship magazines.

Big Bang Airguns Polymer Compact Speed loader for 4.5mm .177 Airguns (Color: Black), MORE, Air Gun / Pellet Gun, Air Gun Magazines - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

6mmProShop Barrett Licensed Special Edition 500 Round Rifle Mag Size Airsoft Universal BB Speed Loader (Color: Barrett Special Edition Red), Accessories & Parts, BBs & Gas, BB Accessories - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

Those are just quick links, ALL decent bb/airsoft retailers carry these loaders.

^The airsoft sized (6mm) speed loader could be used to load 7/32" bb into Big Gun ships. It wouldn't be hard to 3D print various sized plungers/rams/rakes to fit inside the airsoft speed loader to fit the other sizes between 4.5mm/.177 and 7/32.

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

There are better options that have been around for a long time in the fast gun group. I'll share when I get back home.

diceman42 likes this.
  3. Beaver

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

5. Beaver

Correct. 10in is 55 rounds and then there's the endplug and rod.

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

saaaweet

7. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

I attach a flexible pump hose to a bottle of BBs and just dump them straight in the mag by holding the hose over the hole.

8. Beaver

The pushrod makes sure you get 50 BBs in the mag. On a lot of my guns the BBs don't feed all the way in because of a sag or bend in the mag. I prefer this style loader because I know I'm getting a full load.

bsgkid117 and notSoGnarly like this.
  9. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Airsoft speed loaders are annoying when used for airsoft. Can't imagine fussing with them for boats where magazine fills are in weird spots tight to the deck or hidden in superstructure.

10. TorpCruiser

Yes, I've used that style of speed loader. They use them in airsoft as well. (but they're a lot less popular due to their awkward size) The main reason I posted is I've seen the hand-made/3D printed and they work fine but those I linked are ready to go, don't need to be made. Wanna push people away from the hobby?? Convince them EVERYTHING needs to be hand-made. Are they perfect? No, but they work just fine. They also more compact than the tube style.

Weird, I've never had to "fuss with them" and I have approx 7+ of them kicking around. *shoulder-shrug*.

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Yeah used to be big into milsim airsoft. The small ones were always a pain in the ass. I ended up with a big one that I carried in a shotgun scabbard on my back. You'd load the mags into it upside down and rack the slide like a pump shotgun 2-3 times and you'd be loaded. That style obviously wouldn't work for us. I kept breaking the small ones, or they'd jam.

TorpCruiser likes this.
  12. Beaver

Just trying to be helpful?? But, this is a hobby where 90% of the time you're going to be hand building your own boat so I don't get your point. But anyway, plastic speed loader would get a downvote from me. The metal ones just work so well.
    EDIT: You're proposing people modify these airsoft thingys with 3d printed parts to make them work which sounds a lot like a hand made loading device. Lol Idk why you're so upset with me. My recommendation is a tried and true, unbreakable, loader. What you're recommending has not been tested and unless proven I wouldn't spend a dime on. Rookies beware.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    notSoGnarly and Justin Ragucci like this.
  13. TorpCruiser

I posted a .177/4.5 BB speed loader that's not "UNTESTED/UNPROVEN". I also posted the 6mm Airsoft version which absolutely could be used for 7/32 BBs for the Big Gun guys WITHOUT modification, AS I STATED.

I stated the airsoft sized one COULD be modified for the BB sizes in between, which would apply to the experienced Big Gun guys.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  14. notSoGnarly

This is a do it and report back to me group. No one's going to tell you "you can't." But this stuff is finicky on a fabulous day. So unless you show up with it mostly working, you'll find a lot of skepticism. Usually justified and inherited by a couple generations at this point.

tgalx3 likes this.
  15. Beaver

Look, if you want to buy one and use it, go ahead. Please let us all know how it works. I looked up some reviews for these style loaders and not surprisingly there's a lot of critical reviews.
    Screenshot_20230705-043025.png
    I could not, in good conscience, recommend that to anyone without testing it myself for our purposes. But, I'd never buy one because I'd have to reload the "speed loader" twice just to fill my battleship. Which is just impractical.
    Anyway, I'm all for trying new stuff but I would not try this and wouldn't recommend a rookie get one either when a $5 piece of brake line works better.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  16. TorpCruiser

-I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those bad reviews were from people that didn't have the common sense/experience to settle the BB's in the speed loader and not overfill it. Those two simple (and free) things make ALL the difference. You must've missed the part in this thread where I mentioned that I have 7+ of this same EXACT style of speed loader, ALL of them work.

Did you know that those BB speed loaders usually carry 90+ BB's for the SMALLEST size?? "I'd never buy one cuz I'd have to reload the speed loader twice just to fill my battleship." YOUR 50-55BB speed loader has LESS CAPACITY. In what reality does a BB speed loader that, ONLY carries 50-55 BB's have LESS capacity than one with 90++ BB's??

Your BB speed loader REQUIRES EXCESS, IMPRACTICAL length to increase its loading capacity and it's NOT "just $5" you NEED other tools to MAKE it:
    1) Tubing Cutter OR saw OR cutting wheel OR whatever other tool someone would use to cut it to their preferred length.
    2) Sand paper and/or files (diamond files for the WIN!) to debur the tubing
    3) You still need to buy the ram rod
    4) Ram rod needs to be cut down
    5) Ram rod being debur'd
    6) You still need to fab end plug/cap(s)

Yes, anyone really EXPERIENCED with hobby stuff generally, already has ALL these tools. I DO. I could easily make the ram rod style speed loader. -I even use them for airsoft occasionally. I have ZERO intention of using the ramrod style in this hobby, in MY experience if you NEED a ramrod to push BB's past a defect/anomaly in a magazine, the mag needs to be fixed.

The entire point of my OP was saving time/one less thing that NEEDS to be made.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  17. notSoGnarly

You need to check yourself bud.

How about you buy the stuff, film it working and prove us all wrong? Then we can skip all your posts where you tell us we're wrong.

18. TorpCruiser

How about you learn how to read, BUD. For the third time, I have 7+ of these speed loaders, THEY ALL WORK FINE and have FOR YEARS!

19. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Aaaaaaaand this is why I say the forum is filled with bad ideas, by people who don't know, and don't battle. I'm sure this will elicit a number of replies from people who ARENT busy prepping for an entire week of boat battles.

:woot:

Beaver and notSoGnarly like this.
  20. notSoGnarly

Yeah he really doesn't get it. Lol.
    But hey we can always just point to this post when we need an example of ignorance.