BC Black Base Pump Question

Discussion in 'Construction' started by tgalx3, Jul 5, 2023.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I feel like I monopolizing all the categories on this forum with my questions over the last couple weeks. Sorry about that.

I have a black base BC pump in my Bismarck. I got it working today really nicely. However, on the left side of the base, there’s a 1/8” hole and it’s spraying out a lot of water as the pump is running inside the boat. There is still a lot of water coming out of the outflow. What is this hole used for? Can I plug it up to stop the spraying of water all around the inside of the boat?

JustinScott and notSoGnarly like this.
  2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Air bleed hole. It should've come with a brass pipe plug looking doodad that had a small 1/16 or smaller hole drilled in it. You can plug it, but then drill the appropriate small size hole for air bleed.

notSoGnarly and tgalx3 like this.
  3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Can I use this and cut the barbs off?

image.jpg

4. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

image.jpg

This is how it is supposed to look and what it should of came with.

5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

yea definitely didn’t get anything like that with the pump base.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That is the priming hole. It prevents air binding by allowing the air bubbles to vent out. It's supposed to have a plug in it so it's only spraying a small stream of water. The fitting you showed should work if you cut off the barb. I'll also check my toolbox to see if I have any of the original fittings from my BC pumps. I ended up replacing the original priming plugs with a different priming solution due to space concerns. It's hard to fit a big-*** pump in a teeny-tiny predreadnought...

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I cut the barb off and drilled the hole with 1/16” drill bit. Haven’t tested it yet but looks the same as the official part, minus the flat head notch.

notSoGnarly likes this.