Beginner IRCWCC/MWC ship

Discussion in 'General' started by GregMcFadden, May 29, 2007.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

What about an HMS Lion? Is that considered a good rookie ship? I am a strictly allied (to-be) captain, so no axis ships. And the BC kits are a big thing for me, it makes the whole process simpler i believe

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

sure

3. BoomerBoy17

How would one go about setting up a HMS Lion (cannon wise)

4. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Boomer I like that you are looking at all your options shows some maturity on your part listen to these guys but just a reminder to all who are grieving advise to him he runs IRCWCC fast gun I was at NATS 2008 I was one of two Cruisers class 3 and didn’t have much fun with my rookie cruiser just no real roll for it other than that I had a great time good fun with great pepole with that said lets get Boomer on the water [:D]

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Maybe the IRC should give the heavy cruiser a 1 sec speed bost like the MWC. It made the heavy CA a good ships from a junk ship.
    As for the Lion set up. A rookie should go with twin sterns and a 74 round side mount. A vet can go with two sidemounts and a 75 round stern. Sterns being easier to use then sidemounts.

6. BoomerBoy17

There are so many options to look at, not lookingat them is to say that you dont care about the wide varity of ships that people have kits for. Now when my dad gets back to me in an email(hes realy busy at work), ill have more on wether or not th Lion is a good idea for us or not. When i finally get my kits Monk, we might have to set up a build session so that i can relly get started. Thanks Bob, ill look into that idea.

7. Powder Monkey

No problem boomer I learned a lot I can pass on at NATS

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Boomer-

Another option might be to use the Lion hull to build HMS Tiger. She uses the same basic hull, but has a slightly different weapons layout which might give you some more options in how to lay out your guns. Check out the Tiger on the web, I think you might like her.

9. BoomerBoy17

I did see that, but what are the differences(i really didnt look too hard at it, but if the modifications change the kits too much, im gonna have to say no so that its easier for me)

10. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Turning the Lion into the Tiger should be left for the 2nd project. When starting it always helps to use KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

11. BoomerBoy17

That is a great saying, my shop teacher always said that, until of course he made us make a rue-goldberg(sorry if i butchered the spelling). But yea, that is a great rule of thumb, and i think ill start with the Lion. Thanks Bob.

12. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I'm going to stick with my recommendation, Class 5 Maryland. Lion is more difficult to battle regaurdless of which one it is. Lots of room and football shaped is the way to go. BC has hulls and kits and there are a few out there to see how they were built. Alaska is a hard build, a long ship and pain for a rookie. Make it easy and you will have fun.One cannon doesn't make that much more difference.

13. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I'm planning an August 30th battle,(labor day weekend) and if you want I'll put you in my class 5.5 Arizona. Then you can see how a class 5 is.
    I believe powder is coming.

Rob's Pond
    Esopus, NY 12429

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Rob is right, the Maryland or Arizona is probably superior for use in the IRCWCC to the Lion.

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I think the Lion might be a better rookie ship than the Maryland. As a class 4 24sec ship you'll be less of a target and attract less attention than a class 5 26sec ship. Also I think the different gun setups will give you more flexibility and use out of the ship. Start off with duel sterns and a side mount and fight run and gun until you get the hang of battling and then if you want you can experiment some with one stern gun and two side mount setup. It still wont be a true hug and slug ship but it will give you a good taste of both styles of combat and let you decide what you like more for your next ship. A Maryland can be a good combat ship but it can also be pretty easily turned into kitty chow due to its high free board, single rudder, and slower speed. The Lion is large enough to be able to fit all sorts of goodies in so thats not really an issue. The one extra gun on the Maryland isn't a huge hurdle but it does add some extra expense which may be better spent on upgrading systems in a Lion. Those are just my thoughts on the subject and whatever you decide you'll have plenty of help getting it going!

Rob whats up with everyone wanting to be allied? Im going to have to start battling both my VDTs at the same time just so the allies have enough targets!

16. BoomerBoy17

The price is a big thing for me, so as of now, i believe im going to stick with the lion, but i will put more thought into it. Im sorry Rob, i'd love to go, but thats the day im going to my first(and last) game at yankee stadium, so i wont be able to make it. Thanks for all of the help everyone, but im still up in the air about this so, i can still change my mind.

17. BoomerBoy17

i might be interested in an Arizona, but it would have to be available, and cheap, like BC cheap, and i would have to work out how to buy everything from BC that i needed, but i always liked the Arizona too.
    (**The Maryland is a more then $100 more total for the whole ship, a deciding factor for me**)
    (**If i can find an Arizona hull w/ plans for under or about $180, i would be very interested. Then i would have to start a topic to generate a list of all of the parts i would need from BC to finnsish it**)

18. hullbuster

hullbuster Member

I have a mold for the Arizona.

If you live near Philly, Ny etc and don't mind getting your hands dirty.

We can make a hull for under 100.

Plato

19. BoomerBoy17

i would be very interested, does it come with plans? i live in the CT area, thank you.

20. Powder Monkey

Boomer buster is the best if he is willing to help you I would jump on it you can get the plans on line at one of the plan sites for cheap money but don’t sweat it get the hull first I would do it and you learn how to cast as well and be one step ahead of me [;)]