Beginner looking for plans & advice

Discussion in 'General' started by t_josef, Sep 4, 2008.

1. t_josef

t_josef Member

I would like to get started in this hobby. I've located a local club (the NETFRC), and contacted a member. Hopefully I will get some time soon to visit with him and learn more about the hobby and his collection.

After reading many of your posts and suggestions I would like to get some plans for an Invincible and/or a Vonn der Tann. These seem to be the two boats most recommended for a place to start. I tried to contact (George Goff) by email, but my tries are comming back with an error message. ~ It might be me...I'm not too computer savy. Is there another source for plans / or another way to contact George? I would hope the plans come with templates for internal structures. ~ I have built a couple of RC planes and a couple of Dumas boats from kits, and I have read some in depth construction articles online ~ so I think this will be within my ability level.

Any thoughts? / Advice? I would prefer to build w/ wood as I have access to a complete shop and a wife imposed budget.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I would try the phone number on George's site, it was still posted last time I was there. There are also other avenues for plans, the Vendor's guide on the site entry page ("All Known Vendors") has plans sites listed. There are some plans available for free on here, although no Brit or German battlecruisers yet. The French battlecruiser Dunkerque is available for free on the French navy historical site, if you're interested in that.

I'll look around the hard drive tonite and see if I have anything. I do have a lot of plans, anything else you're interested in? most of mine I can just email to you and you put them on a USB drive to take to a local blueprint shop or Kinko's.

Edit: Taubman's has VDT and Invincible, among several others, but they're like $30. Let me look around before you spend money :) Or if you think of another ship, let me know. Either way is good.

3. t_josef

t_josef Member

I will try to call Friday afternoon.

I'm actually not set on any one ship. These two seem to be the most suggested to beginners. I've read in many places that a four unit boat is best for a newby. Big enough to have plenty of room for ease of assembly, and complex enough to have changes/upgrades in the future.

I'm open for suggestions.

4. B24

B24 Member

I would try and hook up with the battlers in that area. 1 hour looking at a completed ship will give you tons of insight. If you can make a battle that would be even better. There is always lots of knowledge at one plus you can see how combat plays out.
    Danny

5. Tugboat

You are a rare man who has read the opinions and listened :) Not to besmirch anyone else, just smiling a little :)

If you can live with driving French (some people even love it) the Dunkerque is 4.5 units, 24 seconds, 712' long (59" in scale).

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

If you decide on a VDT, and go with a BC hull it comes with the plans. They do not sell a I-boat at this time.

7. t_josef

t_josef Member

How would you mount the combat units on the Dunkerque? The ship used used two quadruple turrets mounted up front with several smaller to the side & rear.

(It is a pretty ship, If you can get ofer the French Connection.)

8. Tugboat

The ones I've seen run one stern gun (allowed to use a secondary for it), and one sidemount in each main turret, one port, one stbd.

If you did decide to go fiberglass, I also heartily recommend the fellows at Battler's Connection. For wood construction, I'll give you the plans if I have them :) Either way is cool and doesn't hurt me any :)

I may have had some luck in another far-flung corner of the web; still looking for a BC, but I just spent a half hour downloading plans and pics of the DN Bayern from another russian site. When I find a good set, I mine it and sock it away on the hard drive, never know when someone will want them. Special bonus with these, a lot of the drawings are labelled in the same old German script as the original German shipyard plans on dreadnought.org so I can reasonably assume that they're also original :) Score :)

9. t_josef

t_josef Member

I would be interested in the plans for the Dunkerque. If even to get a better idea of the scale/complexity of it. I appreciate your offer, and would like to take you up on it.

10. Tugboat

Just found Invincible plans. I need to clean them up and translate them into English (unless you read Russian), but I found them :) Some days I even surprise myself.

Also found a mess of German and Brit PDNs and DNs, some cruisers, at least 3 Japanese ships, and some Americans. Still processing it all, and it'll likely be next week before I'm done downloading it all. Funnily, some drawings really are scans of shipyard documents; the Deutschland heavy cruiser, for example; if you want to build a hull with literally 200 frames, there's a drawing with that many!

If you want to Dunkerque and not an I-boat, that's cool, let me know which to get cleaned up first.

11. t_josef

t_josef Member

I'll stick with the Dunkerque, if that is ok. ( I still plan on trying to contact George. )

The closest I get to the Russain language is watching reruns of the Hunt for Red october. Buckaroo = cowboy

Thank you again.

12. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Dunkerque (2) Class: 4 Units: 4.5 Speed: 24

Thats not a bad ship Scratch build will be fun
    But can I ask why not the Richelieu
    Richelieu (2) Class: 6 Units: 6.0 Speed: 24

Besides we have enough little VDT running around [;)] nice to have more original ships it will be cool to see I cant wait

13. Tugboat

Because he wants to start in a battlecruiser :) Real red-meat stuff, not these sissypants cruisers and battleships!

Oh, wait, I drive a cruiser and a battleship, too. Crap.

Because he wants a battlecruiser!!! :)

14. Tugboat

No problem :) I'll get them readier. Turned out I'd already got them on the drive!

15. t_josef

t_josef Member

Tugboat offered up the Dunkerque. It seemed an equal if not small jump from VDT or Invincible to the Dunkerque. I'm afraid if I stay online too long someone else will make the jump from a Richelieu to a yamato...And as much as I liked Starblazers...that's not going to happen.

Besides...I figured I could fly a small Dunkin Donuts flag from a secondary mast....

16. Powder Monkey

Yes but its not much fun in our group I found that out the hard way. every one is class 4.5 or higher and it gets awfull lonly out there.[:(]

17. Powder Monkey

Richelieu would give you a full pump and triple sterns and single side mounts that is a sweeet set up [:D]

18. Powder Monkey

Dam we keep going at this rate and NETF will be needing to rent a bus to get us all down together [8D]

19. Tugboat

I enjoy my 4 unit BC very much, thanks :) I still recommend a BC for a first ship, every time. Other ships are nice, but a BC is the right size and reasonably affordable.

20. Powder Monkey

There are a few 4 unit in IRCWCC he will do fine but I was left wanting at 3.5 and wasted my time and energy on my ship it was a fun build but the battling not what I was expecting so going with my Sodak 6 unit [:p] can't wait.

Every Club is different and has different entry level ships. So we must all be carful when giving advice to new builders and make sure they get the right rookie ship for their club and not our own. I lived it and it wasn’t much fun maybe some of the veteran IRCWCC captains can chime in here and give some advice. Just throwing my sixpence in the frying pan