Best Convoy Ship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

LOL Crazy what am I going to due with you and your Cleveland hulls why wouldn’t I just build another Baltimore and go with one of the Saipan class aircraft carriers USS Saipan (CVL-48) and USS Wright (CVL-49) but I still don’t think my club arms them never really looked into it however the gone a shoot your eye out thing is over you see we built this or at least started it when he was 8 finished it when he was 9 my Baltimore hull never showed from barnstormers and he wouldn’t do it with out me believe me I tried so this year I scratch built it and here we are he is now 10 so he will get my Boston next year and I will have the USS NJ every one is happy especially me [^]

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

After everything I've said about the benefits and good qualities of convoy vessels, the fact remains that they are not particularly desirable in a fast gun club. As much as I would like to see transports get a half unit pump and run more often, I don't think I can recommend building a dedicated transport until that changes. Building an Independence on a Cleveland hull sounds like a good idea to me. As a carrier, you can try to convince people to modify the transport rules, but it can be converted to a heavy cruiser later if that doesn't work.

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

LOL. Well, in the hobby, Cleveland is better then the Baltimore is why! History wise, the Clevelands and Baltimores are about equal, so it comes down to performance, and the shorter Cleveland is going to out turn the Baltimore. I'd put my money on the Cleveland to beat the Balto every time, assuming equal captains.

It should turn far far better then the Baltimore can. You could build the Saipan, but you're still gonna be longer, and thus you won't turn as well. In the IRCWCC, turning is everything. The better you turn, the better off you are.

You're right nobody builds carriers as warships in the IRCWCC; they are terrible. BUT, it would be a quick way of building a ship that can go from an un-armed convoy to a warship quickly.

4. Powder Monkey

Someday we will have to put this to rest Baltimore Vs Cleveland we will need to rent a lake with a steal cage than we will truly know the Baltimore I mean which one is better [:D]

5. crzyhawk

LOL deal! I've got a an old Swampy Brooklyn hull which is nearly identical to the Cleveland. Once I get around to it (soooooooo many projects) I'd be happy for a little 1v1 action vs a Balto!

Now, that being said, while I recommend Clevelands based on their performance, I had a bad habit of building the ships I like, and just sucking up less performance (building an IJN Tone, got a USS Salt Lake City...)

My poor SLC makes me want to cry in the IRCWCC. She's only 585 ft long and doesn't get the bonus 50% rudder that most of the other USN CA's get. She's basically stuck in the same position as the Baltimore is in the MWC...just too short to get the extra rudder that only slightly longer ships get!

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I would use a carrier as a warship in IRC/MWC if either club would give carriers more than 2.5 or 3 units. Thats what I like about Treaty; carriers are 5+ unit ships.

7. crzyhawk

That's what that old Brooklyn hull is destined for. I picked it up before the Clevelands came out, and my plan is to build the CVL USS Belleau Wood out of it. It's basically going to be a 31 knot version of the Cleveland (instead of 33), but hey...I don't build my ships just so they are the best on the water. I like having unique stuff.

8. Powder Monkey

My Baltimore turns pretty good I drive it around in my 15 X 25 pool no trouble it even turns left LOL but my set up turns in the five foot area and figure eight with out stopping or coming close to side so I don’t know what you consider good turning but that works well enough to do what I ask of her [^]

9. Powder Monkey

10. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Hey, still asking around. I am thinking about a LST-542 class convoy ship. I know Tugboat is selling a hull, does anyone know if it is fiberglass? And the site also said some thing about the superstructureand AA guns, how are those? lastly, it says, on the site, that the plans are on tugboats files, but they arent. Just wondering, thanks.

11. BoomerBoy17

Also, what would the rudder size, and speed be? Also, do the IRCWCC rules allow a pump or not?

12. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Going back to Liberty ships. I am about to find out just how much fun they can be. So far I have not done a flotation test of her. (I hope to get that done this week-end.) But here is what I am working on.
    I am new to this hobby and this ship is proving most interesting. I am learning a lot about RC ship building. I am thankful that the gun does not rotate. There just is not enough room inside the hull for any more equipment! The battery, Motor, full sized servos, CO2 tank, Pump, Float switch, Rx, Rx battery and blast shield fill the hull! My only hope is that she can still displace her weight!
    UGH! I can't add the photo of my ship!

13. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Lets see if this works?

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/FileManager/ViewFile.aspx?id=1659

14. BoomerBoy17

i dont know why, knight, that you would, in a convoy ship, choose to use an offensive unit, when you will be sunk so quickly without a pump, what was ur inspiration to put a gun, on a large crawling liberty ship?

15. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Is that picture what it really looks like or did you just sit the gun there for the photo? If thats really how you have it mounted, why? How are you ever going to hit anything besides superstructure?

16. BoomerBoy17

Ture, but if he is fast gun, isnt that illegal? I really dont get that rule in the IRCWCC. Why not just give the convoys either a speed unit or a defensive unit(or 1/2 of both) and get rid of the 10 foot rule, or make it smaller.

17. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

It's for big gun... which changes a lot of parameters :)

He'll get a pump, and the cannon is more a discouragement device than an offensive wonder. Level elevation means he can fire at the chasing ships from further away, as he runs for his life.

Very few convoys get armed... and so rigging a cannon is kinda a custom effort, and will take lots of troubleshooting.

In particular, there is very little space in the back of a liberty, well, compared to traditional cannon designs :)

Mike

18. BoomerBoy17

Yea, that does change alot of things. My poor LST will have no pump, and wont be armed, i will sink every single time [xx(]. Well, i wish him good luck, because he is gonna get creamed in that liberty, but at least his will be salvagable, unlike mine.

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Boomerboy, don't say that. A LST is very small and agile, you'll only get sunk if you get hit, and you'll only get hit if you screw up (which you'll probably do more in the beginning than later on).

Knight, is there any chance you could post an internal shot of your Liberty? Compared to some of the stuff I'm working on, a Liberty is actually quite a roomy ship, and I'm curious if you were as efficient with space as you could have been. I'm also curious if that bb cannon is to the correct scale height. I know most Big Gun clubs don't care about that (even though they have rules about it) but that cannon sure looks high up there.

20. BoomerBoy17

Kotori, i was being sarcastic, but really, i am expecting to have to swim, because i cant have a pump, but i am still trying to get my hands on some plans for it, and to get the hull and other info from tugboat, but he isnt responding, he must be busy at work or something. I really liked those PUMA's that you made, they looked really nice.