Best Convoy Ship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Jun 19, 2008.

1. CWebster

CWebster Member

"Compared to some of the stuff I'm working on, a Liberty is actually quite a roomy ship..."

Agreed. I'm working on refurbishing one right now. With a pump, motor, and an SLA, there's plenty of room to do all kinds of things!

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Yes, that is an actual photo of where the cannon is being fitted. I am still working on the cannon mount (Hence the missing stern quarter of the deck.) I do plan to have a slight down angle on it. Yes, it is not an offensive weapon. But it will make other folks a little cautious about "crossing the T"! Yes, I am in a BIG gun group. Yes, I have a pump as well.
    To be honest, I did not build this hull, but rather inherited it. While refurbishing it, I found some 3/8" and 1/4" shot lodged under some of the balast. So I am certain that she has been sunk before, and most likely will be sunk again. But now she will not go down without a fight!

3. Knight4hire

Yes CWebster, she does have more room than a number of ship. Take my FN Mogador or ORP Dragon. The Liberty is more than twice the beam of those ships.

As soon as I have a chance I will post some photos. There is not much room inside of this hull!

4. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

I wouldn't say most big gun clubs don't care about scale height of the cannons. I was TO for a while at MABG and we tried the tough but fair route, and had members agonizing over the heights. I've cut barrels right at the edge of the bend... and without a lot of work, that's as low as you go. One other club's approach was to correct heights gradually and that club's going strong. Can't argue with their success :) In my view, holding novice builders to exacting standards without giving them a lot, and I mean a lot, of help means few boats on the water. It is in my opinion relatively rare for novice builders to get together with expert builders regularly enough, although if the hobby used a mentoring approach, then growth would rapidly take off. Webwookie, Kotori's and et all's team novice build thread is excellent... and a very good start.

Now, when the fast gunners critique out of scale turret covers, they have a point. But adding 3/8 to fire over the bow... is one factor, but the depression servo and linkages to allow depression are another. That's a whole nuther topic!

Most people don't have the equipment to cut the risers to fit and then flare the risers after cutting. It can change the I.D. of the pipe by how hard the flaring tool has to grab to flare the edge... even then, you are talking removing and reinserting the riser... which sucks, because it is never as tight as the first press. Roughing the riser with a dremel then using epoxy works okay, but is not a well published tip. Roughing the riser deeply with lots of slots will also help hold on a riser with no flare. However, a one size fits all design for the risers height is bound to lead itself to some problems.

Mabg went with the philosophy that any commercially produced product had to be waived in... otherwise there would be no boats :) And the indiana design is not height conservative.

There have been many pictures of overly tall barrels... but many of these pictures are years old, and overall in the hobby there are many things that are "as done unofficially" vs by the book. I read between the lines to find them :) So, 100% compliance on all rules and scale... well, if your club runs a TO ragged... it might work, realistically, you need more than one TO, and a staff of compliance officers for gameday. I'm betting most clubs are more focused on carnage than measuring ribs on gameday :)

Mike Horne

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

From my point of view its not about the scale or looks or whatever, if your club allows it go for it. I simply think that if you (Knight) are able to mount it lower and have a flatter trajectory for the shot you'll have a greater effective range, it will hit more hulls as opposed to superstructure, and in general be a much more effective defensive gun.

I don't know what kind of tools and parts you have but cutting down the feed to the back of the breech and swapping a coil mag for a straight or flex mag is pretty simple and doesn't require any more tools than those normal for boat building.

6. Knight4hire

On the actual ship the gun is mounted upon a raised structure. I am building that structure around the gun. I hope to have it installed this week-end. I hope that the "scale" structure is high enough where I do not have make any modifications to the cannon assembly.

7. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

Ya, I sunk running the poor boat a bunch :) Once I got the outlet stuck under the deck... didn't last long :) I moved and left the ship with my old club. I'll miss the ship, but I think it will do good things at MABG. Knight is doing a bang up job on refit. I really really will be impressed with a cannon in the aft, there is not that much space there!

Mike

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I don't think either I or my brother has any intention of hijacking this thread to discuss barrel height. Having helped install cannons at scale height and at 1/2" above that (according to the new WWCC rule), I am of the opinion that some extra height is necessary to allow guns to be installed and new members should be offered some leniency for a short while. At the same time, a lot of extra height can be a combat advantage over ships that do not have the height. If your guns are out of spec, change the guns or change the specs to something reasonable, but don't overdo it.

Knight, in 1985, way back in the days before Big Gun, Dan Rygasewics operated an armed Mehoshi Maru in a NASWCA event. He was only allowed to go 11 knots instead of the 22-25 allowed by most clubs now, but he completed the convoy course. He also riddled HMS Hood with BB's. Your gun could make you look like a sour apple when compared to other convoy ships. A flatter trajectory will increase the likelihood of scoring a hit further out, but a tall gun with no depression will tend to hit superstructure as your attacker gets closer. Would you be able to save height using a straight magazine instead of a coil?

Article mentioning the Hoodoo Maru:
    http://rcwarships.org/rcwarships/nwc_new/?category_id=27&menuaction=phpbrain.uikb.view_article&art_id=35

9. Knight4hire

I am still working on the mounting of that cannon. I am putting the finishing touches on the stern castle. When that is installed, it will not look like that cannon is too high.
    Yes, I am working on depression. I was thinking of an angle where the shells will hit the water four feet astern of the ship at most.
    If I want to penetrate a BB's 1/4" hull, it will have to be done at close range.
    It will most likely take me a few meets to figure what angle will be the best defense.
    For the most part, I will depend on my team mates to keep the bad guys away from slow little boat.

10. Knight4hire

Still in work, but this is what she looks like right now.
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/FileManager/ViewFile.aspx?id=1674

11. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Knight, that ship looks really good. nice to see some clubs can arm their convoys, im sure that she will be well, especially at the hands of an experienced captain.

12. Knight4hire

Experienced Captain?? where??? I have never sailed an armed warship in my life! Just did a floatation test of that Liberty ship in the bath tub. UGH!!! she has a 45 degree list! Looks like I an going to have to start all over again!

Here is a shot of the inside of the hull.
    Boy! is it tight in there!
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/FileManager/ViewFile.aspx?id=1673

13. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I’m not sure if you have a weight limit or not I used a ton okay maybe not a ton but a bunch of old lead for flashing a chimney on the bottom to get my kids liberty to float right try that if you don’t have weight limit[8D]

14. Powder Monkey

[​IMG]

you can see her here in the forground

[​IMG]

15. BoomerBoy17

Knight, join the club, my ship might as well be upside down, i still dont have one. I will soon(hopefully), have a hull to start working on, maybe ready for next season. And well, monk, your ship is a beaut, and the american flag does wonders for an (american) ship.

16. Powder Monkey

it looks cool but it was mostly to cover all the crap in the back ground [:D]

17. BoomerBoy17

Still looks nice monk, very patriotic. Good hing you didnt build the bismark or admiral hipper

18. Powder Monkey

I never would [:D]

19. BoomerBoy17

Good man!

20. BoomerBoy17

They may be decent ships, but my patriotism over rules any feelings of turning over to the dark side. I cant wait to see your Iowa-class, that will be a beast. It will be the New jersey, right?