Best/easiest way to align gears/sprockets for rudder systems

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by wdodge0912, Apr 17, 2020.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So with working in the Baden, I want to replace the rudder arms and go geared or even sprocket and chain. What's the best or easiest way to make sure they are all level to each other? By that I mean so they dont sit at an angle to each other, so they are in full contact all the time.

2. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

I don't know if this would be considered best and/or easiest but this is what I did for my Bayern:

3DP mount for the gear assembly and then a another mount for the servo. The push pull rods pretty much made sure that the servo was at the right height but a little slop there wasn't as critical. I've seen other folks use a 3DP mount that holds both the servo and the rudder shafts with the chain drive. That way everything is level and very little slop.

20181113_154123.jpg
    20181116_112237.jpg

acomputerdog and rcaircraftnut like this.
  3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I mount the gear directly to a servo wheel or horn whenever possible. I use formed blocks to make strong rudder post's so getting good gear mesh is as simple as putting it all together with a slip of paper between the gears for clearance and using rubber bands epoxy the rudder post's in place at the same time on twin rudders.