Big Gun Cannons - Let's get more ships on the water!

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by BigGunJeff, Dec 30, 2023.

1. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I print them in two pieces. The center core with the sealing surface on the build plate to eliminate porosity or roughness. The perimeter part has all the centering features and the lip seal.

mabgfounder likes this.
  2. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Thanks. What is the purpose of the disc on the outside that doesn't seal against the side? (or does the inlet have a smaller diameter?

3. BigGunJeff

Creates surface area for good bed adhesion during printing and provides some support for the guides that rub on the inner wall of the cylinder. It's important to keep the flapper concentric with the tube it is captured in. Give it any chance to rotate or move in an unwanted way and it will! It's really violent in there when filling and the moment of firing.

mabgfounder likes this.
  4. Nateseadog

Nateseadog Active Member

Hey BigGunJeff, Wondering are you also developing the smaller bearing size cannons also to suit cruisers, and Battle cruisers - 3/16 and 7/32 ball bearings?

Copied from Aus BG rules, are they the same as the NTXBG rule set? Cheers

3" to 10.99" - - - - - - - - - 3/16 bearings
    11" to 14.9" - - - - - - - - - 7/32 bearings
    15" and greater. - - - - - - 1/4 bearings

5. BigGunJeff

A buddy of mine is asking for a 7/32 version. That would be really easy to do, so will probably happen in the near future. A large scale reformat of the gun (like to make a smaller accumulator and valve section) is a longer term option for smaller boats.

Nateseadog likes this.
  6. Nateseadog

Nateseadog Active Member

Oh now that sounds like the go, (like a slightly scaled down version) yeah that will allow for many more possibilities in smaller hulls. I like your thinking good sir!

BigGunJeff likes this.
  7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A smaller diameter accumulator/valve assembly is probably not necessary. The cannons in my Mikasa are the same diameter as Jeff's, and I was also able to fit those accumulator/valve assemblies in a Japanese heavy cruiser without difficulty. Jeff's triple torpedo setup also easily fit into that heavy cruiser. The big challenge for heavy cruisers is magazine height and diameter, along with centerline space. If you're trying to cram classic rotating Big Gun cannons into a light cruiser then you need to reconsider. A variety of turret options, however, would be delightful.

Nateseadog likes this.