Big gun or fast gun?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by WannabeBB, Aug 23, 2010.

1. WannabeBB

WannabeBB New Member

Well which is more fun?
    I mean it seems that big gun has more "stuff in it" but fast gun is also good...
    What do you think?
    (srry if this post is a lil small trying to type it on my ipod touch....)
    (also the iphone is my uncles...)

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

You left out Washington Treaty combat which is something of a combination of the two. Ultimately it comes down to which format the closest club uses.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Fast Gun.

More captains + more boats + more battles = more fun.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey Snipe, have you tried Big Gun? Please don't go passing judgement on other formats if you haven't tried them.

On the whole more boats, more skippers, more fun thing? Yeah, here at the WWCC we've been getting more than 15 warships on the water in every sortie of our monthly battles this year, and I fully expect to see more than 20 warships fighting at the Labor Day Campaign Battle. More ships is more fun in any format, but those numbers are based on your local club.

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Depends upon what is popular in your area! You will have the greatest fun by having someone to enjoy it with.

Marty Hayes

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

So I'm not allowed to have/voice an opinion?

It is a subjective question so I gave my opinion as an answer, feel free to disagree and have a different opinion. ;-)

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

whichever one is near enough to you so you can battle more frequently.

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Fast gun is... well... faster!

What speed do you want to battle at?
    People around you help out a lot too. Try to find an experienced captain to build with. Internet or in person.
    I'd love to try big gun too, it's just not too many people up where I am in the " tiny state of NY!" battle.

Big gun or fast gun

9. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

It depends on a number of things.

1) What clubs are near you?
    2) Which clubs has the folks you want to pal around with?
    3) Do you want things to happen quickly (Like Video game speed) or more realistic combat? (No combat reverse, Rate of fire, Armor and shell size depends on what the ship actually had.)

In the end it comes down to personal taste. ( Give me the ship that fires the 1/4 in ball bearings!)

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

@Kotori - in Chris' defense, he did not pass judgement on Big Gun based on anything having to do with the quality of people involved, nor of their ruleset. Solely on the numbers of people involved, saying that more people is more fun.

@ the original poster - Personal taste is important. More important is the type of club that is nearest you, as they are likely the people you'll be battling the most. If that is Big Gun, hook up with them, and I'm certain that you will have the time of your life and make great friends. If it's Fast Gun, hook up with them, and I'm certain that you will have the time of your life and make great friends. Either way, go with the club that is nearest you and you can't go wrong.

11. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Ive built and battled both formats, Both are alot of fun. I like stuff about big gun boats and other things about the fast gun format. But its mostly in what club is closer to you and yes NUMBERS MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Being in north carolina there are fast gunners in NC and the rest of the east coast and a big gun group in Virginia.
    I battled fast gun first and tried big gun in VA but i just couldnt justify building and battling big gun with just a handful of boats on the water so i sold my big gun Hindenburg and built a fast gun Bismarck and converted my big gun Graf Spee to fast gun. And i recently traded my big gun cannons from the Spee for a Zboat hull which ive just completed and is a ton of fun, if i was big gun it'd deffinately have torps and itd be NASTY! But, I have alot more fun battling with more people.
    The more boats on the water the better quality the battling experience in my honest opinion. If i lived in Cali id deffinately still have atleast one big gun boat cause the WWCC has some sick looking battles with many boats.
    Like they say, more is better.

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

For me it has to be what the club closest to me that is active in . If it is fast gun and they get together regulary that is what works. I do know that lately with the ecnomy we are haveing problems here getting battles and such , in because of the problems some of the guys are haveing with work.I have been able this year to battle fast gun and go to a treaty event.Down side is I dont think we will be able to pull off another battle here because people just cant get a way or changed and took what ever work they could get. The busy season is coming up at work and they dont let you take time off to go play so I dont see where I will be able to travel to battles out of state for the rest of the year.
    Buddy

13. battleshipnewjersey312

battleshipnewjersey312 Member

I'd say fast gun even though big gun you can use armor so convoy ships have a chance.

14. Tugboat

Convoy ships don't get armor unless they had armor in real life... in any case, convoy ships are meat IF you can corner them with a warship, in any format.

15. battleshipnewjersey312

battleshipnewjersey312 Member

did any convoy ship have guns?

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yes, many transports were armed. Liberty ships had a 4" gun on the back, and a bunch of other ships had guns too. Heck, look at the USS Cimarron: it's got four 5" guns!

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Some clubs allow the aircraft-carriers to be used as transports.
    And most of them had some guns.
    Some also had some armor.
    Mikey

18. Tugboat

Technicaliy, under MWC (not sure about IRCWCC or other groups), a ship had to be specifically modified to carry troops or cargo, so only carriers that were modified for the massive return of US troops at the end of WW2 could be used. In practice, most any carrier has been allowed to play.

19. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Treaty, and some (if not all) big-gun groups allow carriers to convoy.
    Also. There were some carriers used to transport aircraft.
    Mikey

20. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Good example is the Eagle in Met, planes for malta!