Big Gun Submarines

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by pew-pew-pew, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Submarines WWII and WWI had no Torpedo tubes on the side of the subs... can big gun subs have torpedo tubes on the side?

With Diving: Do Big gun subs only use there sive fins to dive and rise? or DO they only use them to surface and use ballast tanks to dive?

2. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

i wouldn't know this but as a guess i think it would be alright. Also i would think that they would use the fins to dive and rise. Like a siad before just a guess i don't really know

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No, side torps are not cool, sorry. You can mount torpedo tubes in the original location and facing (i.e. dead ahead and dead astern (if the original had stern tubes, some didn't)). The only weapons a sub can have that fire sideways are deck guns. Most subs had 1, some had 2, and some had none at all. Keep in mind that it is staggeringly hard to do a sub in small gun. Doing it in 1/144 Big Gun with torps and deck guns will be impossible. I hate to use that word, but I'm using it. Impossible. Not enough space nor weight for all the tubes, cannons, CO2 system, and oh, yeah, batteries.

Sorry to say it so bluntly, but I don't want you to waste money on something that ain't possible.

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Well, my dad and I have changed our minds a bit... We're doing big gun instead. But i was making sure about the sideways torpedo thing... No pictures of Big gun Subs had side mounted torps, judging by the pictures. As far as diving, How does that waork?

5. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

a sub i never sugested only the best of the best builder ever attempt them and many of the fail many times at making a sub. and i think all combat subs are dinamic dive so the dive with the planes and not by flooding a tank

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Correct. All current Big Gun RC combat submarines submerge by adjusting the diving planes then moving forward. While its theoretically possible to use other methods, no others have successfully been implemented.

I personally wouldn't say that submarines are impossible to build, its been proven possible. With all torpedoes, deck guns, and diving, thats impossible. But a Big Gun submarine, with 2-4 tubes armed in the front? That's a lot more do-able. However, due to the difficult construction and difficult battling, submarines are not what I'd recommend to a beginner. In fact, I wouldn't recommend one for a second or third ship, either. Maybe a fourth... I'm hoping for a submarine as my fourth...

7. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Would you happen to know the diameter for the BDE cannon that only has two barrels and shoots 1/4 bearings ?

8. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

And By what ive heard, i have no intenstions of building a submarine... I did my calculations and accoriding to them- the Narwhal calss submarine would be 29 inches long and an amazing 2.75 inches Wide! Which is about the width of an Oreo Cookie.... Yum :)

9. Tugboat

Carl, I didn't say subs per se were impossible. I said that a sub with torps, deck gun, and full diving would be. And I stand by that assessment. A big or small gun sub just using torps is possible (in fact, the Argonaut hull in a moving box here somewhere was built for that purpose :)

10. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

If my memory is not failing me I think the K-Class subs did have side mounted torpedoes. Will have to look it up.

Pax,
    J.

11. Tugboat

Your memory serves you well, I had forgotten Britain's K-class with 2 sidemount tubes per side... but she's lil DINKY in scale :) Gawd only knows how they fit all that into the real thing :)

12. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Attack of the over sized oreo cookes. Yummy.

13. Tugboat

Got to agree w/ Zac on this one.

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Gosh, the body of my torpedo cannons is about the same size as an oreo. Now I'll tell my unfortunate victims that they were victims of a delicious snack. Any and all complaints are to be filed with Nabisco Corporation in Chicago.

15. Tugboat

I'm just glad the rules don't limit the amount of creamy filling :)

16. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

the best part :)

17. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Would you happen to know the diameter for the BDE cannon that only has two barrels and shoots 1/4 bearings ?

18. shakeyboba

shakeyboba Member

You gentelman are forgetting the size of the I 400 and also the French Surcouf, In scale I think the french ship is 52" long and almost 6" wide with 2 8 inch for cannons. Just sailing on the surface it is a small exposed target.

19. Tugboat

Surcouf has a beam of 29.5 feet, so she's only 2.45" wide in 1/144 scale. The I400 is wider, but not enough to be REALLY wider.

If you're hell bent on subs, then you're probably stuck building the torpedo tubes yourself, Jorge. I'd tell you if I knew of anyone manufacturing them, but I don't.

20. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

I would hate to build one at this point ;) But My dad loves thinging about building one....

Anyway, Were there any American Aircraft carring subs?