big gun vs fast gun

Discussion in 'General' started by gunner250, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Fast gun fps usually runs from 205 upto 270s with an average probably around 220 - 240.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

With mine averaging 125 :)

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried? If not then you are making a large assumption without data.

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried? If not then you are making a large assumption without data.

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Dang it how the heck does one put a quote in?

6. Tugboat

That's a good question!
    What I just tried (that apparently worked) is to hit Return a couple of times, and you'll see the margin move all the way to the left side of the comment window. You are then typing your own message and not in the quote.

7. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

The main problem is that making a big gun ship conform to fast gun rules would be difficult. Rudder area could go either way depending on the ship, and there are a lot of variables because of the differences in the construction of the ships. But that aside, if you allow the big gun ship the allowances permitted by the fast gun rules, it is left with many advantages over the fast gun ship. Some can be fixed, like armor thickness, and magazine capacity; but things like main gun caliber, conforming to the quadrant rules, and having the correct amount of units.
    As for the fast gun ship destroying the big gun ship if both were under there own rules- that is based of what other people have said.

I'm not being disagreeable or anything, but that's where I'm coming from. I think no matter what, a fair battle will be difficult, but that the best way would be some sort of composite rule set or something.

8. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Indeed it is. I just hit the quote button, which is why I only do one quote per post.

9. mike5334

What is the best rate of fire a big gun 1/4" cannon can do?

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

the fastest rate for a big gun 1/4" cannon is something like 1-2 ish seconds minimum for the accumulator to refill, I think. but the rules say you need to wait 8 secs between firing

11. mike5334

Would be interesting then to remove the rof limit on a big gun ship and pit it up against a fast gun ship. Although the fast gun would still have an rof advanrage, it would have to be cautious to close on a ship shooting 1/4" shots every second.

12. Tugboat

Indeed.

13. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You are trying to compair football (NFL) to rugby. The general idea of both games is the same, but they are not the same game. Would the best rugby player in the world make it in the NFL? I think he could find a position and be a pretty good player given time. Would Adrian Peterson be a great rugby player, hell yes. But it would take him some time (couple years) to learn the game before he was the best in the world.
    The best builders and battlers are in the MWC, yes I am biased because I belong to that group. Having seen other groups ships close up and in photos I feel we build better more reliable stuff. There are many MWC guys that battle at a very high level. Could a Big Gun guy join MWC and be good, sure. I don't think you see a rise in the building or battling level. I think if the best MWC guys switched to Big Gun you'd see a rise in their building and battle level.
    I know, how can you say one group has more skills than another. It's not somthing I can prove to you, but it is my opinion.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Bob, maybe I missed something here, but why are you even bringing up skill/etc? I'm glad you think your group is the best, but I dont see how its relevant.

I also fail to see why people are obsessing on the theory that there is a need to modify the rules for either the FG or BG ships to make a battle work when it seems no one has actually pitted fastgun ships against biggun ships beyond Carl running a torpedocruiser around in a FG furball.

15. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Well now you've done it, Bob. You've shifted the conversation from boats to people and suggested that some are better than others. I find your second paragraph insulting and arrogant. I'd bet some people were/are ready to dig their trenches, build up their bunkers, and let the flame war begin after reading that. Flamewars aside, I think you've brought up an interesting topic, although as Nick said, its not really relevant to the question of big gun vs fast gun.
    These boats are always evolving to raise the level of competition. The more captains you have, the wider the gene pool is. More captains means more ideas and techniques, both for building and for battling. The more you battle, the stronger you feel the force of natural selection. The fierce competition of battle teaches you the strengths and weaknesses of your boat and others, so you have a better idea what worked and what didn't, what to keep and what to get rid of. The more boats you build, the more generations you have for the changes to take effect. An experienced builder has a chance to work out their rookie mistakes, and generally produces a more reliable and more effective fighting machine.
    I once knew a builder who never battled. Every boat he built (about one very other year) he sold at the annual fleet meeting and awards banquet. He kept up with technology, installing waterproof ESCs and using BDE cannons when they were sold, but missed out on certain combat refinements such as improved water channeling, simplified maintenance, and reduced failure points. When I spent every saturday and an occasional week night working in a garage with three to seven other builders, I was able to work on somwhere in excess of 150 refits and scratch builds. Since we compared notes after every battle and during every build session, our boats became much better and we raised the bar on the competition. Working on his own and with no battle experience, he was unable to truly refine his work.
    Bob, I disagree that a person moving from one format to another would have an inherent advantage from their previous format that would raise the level of building and battling. Even worse is your suggestion that one group is better because it's members are inherently superior in some way. If the MWC has a greater number of competetive captains refining their new builds, dialing in their current boats, and battling hard to learn the lessons only the battle pond can teach, then I fully believe they may have the best builders and battlers. However, that is because it is a healthy, competetive club that is in a position to build on its successes, not because its members are inherently better.

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

And on those notes it might be time for moderators to step in.......

17. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I also said I think the NFL is better than rugby.
    You like yours I like mine. No reason to lose sleep over it.

18. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Gascan +1

19. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Getting back on topic.
    I would like to see a FG against BG.
    A broadside from a BG Tirpitz could have 11 1/4 Ball bearings and 6 BB flying at the FG ship!
    A BG Missouri Broadside could have 9 1/4 Ball bearings and 10 BBs flying at the FG target.
    That is having all of the primary, all of the secondary, and the torpedo tubes armed.

The FG may have speed and ROF on it's side.

The main tell would be the skills of the captains.

20. Tugboat

Indeed. I would hate to find my fg ship in the kill zone of a bg broadside!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.