big gun vs fast gun

Discussion in 'General' started by gunner250, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Alsace = 12 x 1/4 in + 9 x BB (+ 12 x BB)
    Vive la France!

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Fast gun = 1 sidemount cannon @ 10 rounds per second ... would empty a 50 round magazine before the 1/4" cannons are allowed to fire again. Heh.
    or
    Fast gun w/ triple sterns @ 10 rounds per second would throw 150 bbs in 5 seconds. heh.

Its not called fast gun for nothing! ;)

3. Jean Valjean

30 rounds per second - ouch! You must have sore fingers after a battle.

The big gun ship would have a 6+ second window to fire at it...
    For Alsace that wold be 12 x 1/4 in + 63 x BB (if they all fit in)
    I think a ship with 7/32 inch mains would do better, maybe Lyon:
    3 x 1/4 in, 32 x 7/32 in, 18 x BB.
    Again, ouch

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

true but the BG ships broadside could engage the FG ship at a longer range and still get below waterline shots simply because it can adjust the angle.

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

50 and 150 rounds??? I thought that FG were limited as to how many rounds they can carry on board.
    Sounds like they would have just one pass then would be out of ammo.

After they fired their load, would be running to get out of Range of the BG.

6. Jean Valjean

If they were both going at the same speed, the big gun ship would probably crush the fast gun ship.
    Oh, and if the big gun ship could fire at the fast gun ship for 8 seconds...
    In the case of the Alsace, 24 x 1/4 in + 84 x BB. Do you think a quarter inch round is worth 2.75 bb's? I do.
    The other thing is that, as I understand, stern guns aren't that great for bellows, so twin side mounts might be worse fore the big gun shp, right?

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If we do same speeds, I get to use my ram bow on Lil Scharnie :)

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

It seems this discussion comes up every year or two. When it came up last year, I was tempted to run my Treaty Alsace against my Battlestations Gustav V, but I traded my Alsace before I finished the Gustav. Granted the Alsace was built to treaty specs (limited pump capacity and slower speeds) and did not have the drive power that fast gun ships tend to have. Honestly, the only way to "settle" the issue would to get two experienced builders/captains, one in each format, to agree upon a ship class and each build one to their best ability. They could then go at it. To keep things interesting and civil, loser buys lunch at Taco Bell :D

As far as adapting rules from the other rule set for the match: a fast gun ship with limited RoF or pump capacity is just a under-armed big gun ship.

The biggest obstacle is speed which is a major advantage for fast gun with say, a VU at 28 seconds vs 51.1 for big gun or 24 vs. 31 in the case of a Bismark. Now do a cage match where the is limited maneuvering room and that might not be as much of an issue. I don't think that if they went the same speed that Big Gun would dominate, because Fast Gun ships can still dish out a lot of damage.

The most fun possibility would be the two captains agreeing to park next to each other and go "ooh, nice shot!" as they pound the stuffing out of one another. Heck, I'd buy Taco Bell for both parties :p

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I still think you got to try both 1on1 and fleet action to get a real accurate picture.

10. Jean Valjean

How about a fleet battle with big gun ships and fast gun ships on both sides? Almost like a big gun battle and a fast gun battle on the same pond.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd say, with the price of building a battleship being what it is, the cost of lunch at Taco Bell would be a tiny amount...

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I went to a Treaty battle a few years ago that had a big gun Abercrombie participate. I was axis in my Kirishima and was honestly intimidated by the guns. It was also my first treaty battle and I spent most of my time exchanging broadsides with Buddy's SoDak.

13. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think there's a point to the comparisons. It's apples and oranges. IRC/MWC/etc is like a bunch of guys running around with paintball guns having fun, "papapapapapap", while big gun style formats are perhaps more like a bunch of guys getting together and doing civil war re-enactments ... more stately and 'historical' oriented.

Then again, I could be mistaken.

Either way, I'm sure that all formats have people of varying skill levels and some are no doubt highly skilled and effective. To try and pit one against the other would be like Formula1 vs Monster Trucks, or John Force at the tractor pull. Some comparisons just don't make a lot of sense.

I would just as soon everyone have fun enjoying the format which they find most suitable for their own desires. They all have their pluses and minuses, depending on your point of view. But as far as I'm concerned, if someone in OR or wherever wants to build big gun and buys a hull and regulator from Strike or BC, it's all good, to some extent we're all in it together.

So there :p

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I don't think this thread has much for a future without some people actually _trying_ this on a larger scale. I am going to lock the thread before it wanders into territory of x and y are better than a and b. If you feel you have something to relate that adds to the topic, or have experience in actual big gun vs fast gun combat, please PM me and I will unlock the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.