Big Guns Torpedo Boat designs for a first build

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by daemond6, Sep 19, 2011.

1. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Hey, I'm still thinking between a Brogue CVE (Kit from rcengr ) or a Torpedo Boat for my first ship, and was just wandering if anyone had built a torpedo boat, and what they think of it, in regards to build enjoyability and effectiveness, and where they found plans from.

I was thinking of just buying a 1/96th scale kit and using that as a basis, but I'm not sure.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Go with the CVE. Small is very hard to do unless you are very skilled at building.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

To give an idea of how small a torpedo boat is ...

The PT series was 80' long with a 20' beam. In 1/144th scale, that equals 6.7" long by 1.7" wide. In 1/96th scale it would be 10" long by 2.5" wide.

A very difficult build even for very expirienced builders.

4. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Hmm, ok.
    Is there a better choice then, for a tt armed boat in 1/96? Maybe an ff or similar size? Was thinking of something small and fast, but with tt's for most of its hitting power (would save a lot of money/trouble compared to buying/building a cannon system with the uncertainties I'm having around the legality of a big guns cannon systems.

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

There are tons of great destroyers and light cruisers that would be under 5feet long in 1/96 scale. Many have 6, 8,9,or 10 torpedo tubes. Pich your favorite Nation or most handsome class. Whatever your favorite is! I think the Royal Navy's Battle class destroyers are very nice. Good speed, good size, and sharp looking! And a sweet name to boot! Both battlersconnection.com and strikemodels.com have 1/144 scale fiberglass hulls for smaller ships. Destroyers, light cruisers etc... There are several scale modelling sites that carry 1/96 scale fiberglass hulls as well. I just dont know them.
    Mike Butts

6. Anachronus

I would agree with Mike. The battle class is a great looking class of ships. Should be easy to do in 1/96. For a more Great War flair, you could go with HMS Swift. Her drawback is a very light torpedo armament.

7. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Free plans to a Tribal class with which you could make a reasonably accurate hull. It does have a few hull sections. http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/tribal.pdf However I say pursue whatever class really gets your motor goin.
    Mike Butts

8. daemond6

daemond6 Member

Thanks Mike, ill Download them in the morningon my laptop

9. daemond6

daemond6 Member

After finally getting round to looking at the Wikipedia entry for battle class destroyers, I'm not sure which are legal for Big Gun rules (although I'm still not sure which ruleset I was going to adopt, apart from 1/96th scale) with regards to dates laid down, and completed...

So I guess I'm asking which rules use 1/96 scale and which type of Battle class destroyers would be legal in them. (1942, 1943, or 1944)

Any help would be great, thanks.

10. Anachronus

Depends on when they were launched, generally the class is okay.

11. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

What exactly comes with this kit?

12. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The Bogue CVE kit comes with the 1/4" plywood parts to make a 1:144 hull and 1/8" lite ply for the hanger deck and tower. To complete the hull you will need 1/32 plywood for sheeting, 1/8"x1/4" stringers, and balsa to fill in the bow and stern. And add all the internals to outfit it. Below is what you basically get, without the stringer and with a wood instead of a foam tower.[​IMG]
    I'm not sure what kind of armament a Bogue gets in Big Gun, it only gets one gun for Treaty. Disadvantages of the Bogue: it's slow, turns slow, and is lightly armed. Advantages of the Bogue: Lots of room and weight to work with, making it easy for the beginner to build. I take my Bogue to displays, and there is so much interior room that I usually put all my parts, tools, and extras inside so I only have to make one trip!

13. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Ah!!! A PT Boat!!! That was my first dream boat to build. My club loaned me a Mogador to finish (One of the largest destroyers ever built) to teach me a lesson about small ships. It was a bit stressful to get her operational as an unarmed ship. I was also laoned a liberty ship with I armed. That was a bit stressful as well, but I was successful. The MOG is now drydocked as I build DKM Tirpitz and sail the liberty.

Difficult first build has cause folks to leave the hobby. That is the last thing we would want. That is why BIG GUNNERS have an unwritten rule. For your first build, build something BIG. Then as your building skills improve go smaller.
    A LARGE build is very forgiving, and is easier and cheaper that something small.

As for a PT boat, yes a 144 scale boat has been built. If you search the web, I sure that you will find it. It is unarmed!
    For building an armed PT boat, Well one day I am sure that it will happen, but it will be very high tech and very expensive.

For cost effectiveness, look at the French BB's, they have fewer turrets thus cutting cost.

14. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

There has been an armed PT boat built. It was constructed by "Gadget" Gage here in Australia.
    Whenever it's single spring propelled torp was fired, Newton's first law took charge and the boat flipped over backwards.
    I've never seen it personally, but it's a legend here in the AusBG.

15. Anachronus

Actually I think that is Newton's Second Law.

16. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

keep guessing....not that many choices left...

17. Anachronus

#2 is F=MA isn't it? It's only been 30 years since High school physics. :)

18. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

yes, #2 is F=MA which of course is in effect (as it always is!, however to be fair if we're going to count that then law #1 is working too...) but the action/reaction bit is law #3, which is what was described. Action = firing the torp, reaction = boat flipping over backwards.

19. NATIVE79

NATIVE79 New Member

I thinking of building a PT-109 for my first one. What do yal think would be a good starter ship?

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Pt is too small, much too small. Go heavy cruiser or larger.