Bilge Keels

Discussion in 'Construction' started by wdodge0912, Aug 31, 2020.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

so I want to add the bilge keels to my Baden. Rules say 3/8 wide at the hull and 3/8 deep out from the hull.

I'm not sure exactly how long to make them, but it looks like they would be somewhere from the front of the A barbette to aft of the C turret barbette. For IRC would that be accurate enough or do I need to delve into trying to find the exact length? Or does anyone conveniently have this information?

Also, I wamt to make it from something heavy (aka lead) to add some really low weight. I need to add 3 pounds. How do I go about making the lead formed to the boats hull? I have a way to melt the lead to liquid, butnId like to.figure out a easy and doable way to form them. The plan is to epoxy them on.

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

As I said in our conversation, make a form out of wood or something that's 3/8 x 3/8 x however long. Pour hot lead in. Then you will be able to hand bend the lead square bar you just made to the ship's hull. Epoxy/goop/etc on. Done.

wdodge0912 and Beaver like this.
  3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

This is how I did mine. Stupid simple and easy. I think there are pics in my King Edward build.

4. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

How long do I go about making it though? Is a rough guess based on pictures good enough, or do I need to figure out the scale length? Rough guess by pictures would be at the fore side of the A turret barbette to the aft side of the C turret.

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Rough guess is good enough.

If you don't want to measure, just make it as long as the ship, it's lead, easy to cut to length. Or measure with a string or something down the side where you want it and make it that long.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020