Bilge Pump discharge hole.

Discussion in 'Construction' started by wdodge0912, Jun 21, 2020.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So one of the last few things I need to do to Baden is to make a new hole for the bilge pumps discharge. Was going to get some expert insight on this in regards to how I should go about it.

I was thinking of maybe right by the barbette, where it meets the step up for the casemates. But I'm thinking ut might be better to put it on the step up. Either way, I think I should have some kind of angle so it's not pumping directly back down onto the ship.

If I'm reading it right I can go straight up, and have a 10 degree angle off to the side and back?

Or of course I can have it come straight out the side where the originalis now, but with the way the pump sits and where I have it at, the hose would kink or have to spiral around to get there.

Anyways, what's the best way to get that 10 degree angle drilled through so I cam him the discharge up and out of the boat?

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You only need a degree or two to miss the boat. I'd just eyeball it.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Just drill the hole straight in, then tilt the drill bit to the side a bit to get your desired angle. You'll have a bit of a gap to fill in, but that's your easiest option. As Beaver said, it only takes a few degrees to ensure the water doesn't crash back down on your deck.

4. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

As far as locating the hole, put some hose on the discharge of the pump and see where it wants to naturally intersect your subdeck. That's usually where I will put my outlet to help flow. Can't always do that depending upon specific hull and internals configuration but works well when I can. As far as drilling the hole, don't overthink it. Just drill in like Beaver and Kotori mentioned.

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

I think @Kevin P. 's pump outlets are the slickest and would suggest them as something to design into the next boat. I'll be including them in my next project.

Barring that, here's what I did just recently:

I had similar concerns with having the water coming back onto the boat and back through the decks on Texas. So, after I fixed Texas, I wanted to make it even less of a possibility on Idaho. I put both pump outlets above the step, arcing outboard just slightly and abaft slightly. there should be minimal water infil.

I took my handy-dandy drill press ( https://www.rockler.com/big-gator-v-drill-guide-standard ) and bored a 5/16 hole through the deck, and then after making the initial bore, pulled the guide off of my drill bit and "wiggled" it a bit in the hole. I then took a 9/32 OD brass tube and cut a shank for the pump restrictor to slide into.

I then took that shank, and I put it in the hole. I eyeballed the angle and then used UV reactant plastic resin to seal it in place temporarily, followed by epoxy resin for the permanent hold.

6. Beaver

Just want to say, if you're worried about the water coming through the deck you have a deck seal problem, not an outlet problem.
    Gotta be real. Lol

SteveT44, bsgkid117 and Kevin P. like this.
  7. Anvil_x

dude it's my first boat. that's low.

deck sealing took a year or more to figure out, and this solution took a day to implement. sheer pragmatism wins.

8. Beaver

Hold up. Didn't mean for anyone to take offense at that. Just trying to make the point that the amount of water coming through the decks from the pump stream pales in comparison to waves, propwash, and just rough handling. If the pump stream is a concern, then there are bigger problems.

Don't mean to dis your build or anything like that. Just trying to be helpful ¯\(°_o)/¯

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  9. Anvil_x

Okay so apparently we need a font for humor. my intent for dry delivery was *a tad too dry*

but yeah no, engineering problems are myriad, and redundancy of design in a lot of cases was the only way to deal with it.
    You'd probably understand better if you saw my boat in person, but there was *no sealing the aft deck* until I figured out how to use a home-made boot polish to seal it.

Beeswax and mineral oil. melt and homogenize. goop it in. that was the only way. it was *that* bad. Ask Tyler or Bob.

10. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I had the idea awhile ago to create a specific font to indicate "sarcasm", figured if I could do that I'd be a shoe-in for a Nobel Peace prize for all the wars it would prevent...

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  11. Anvil_x

At work we use the asterisks on either side for both emphasis and sarcasm. it's occasionally confusing and riddled with context errors.