Bismarck Build - Dreams - Happenings

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by Craig, May 20, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

I will be posting my updates here for Bis. Chuck, you mentioned about starting threads here for the Rodgers family ships? Go for it.

Bismarck had some construction done last week. Lowered the water line at the bow as it was up a quarter inch. Drilled and screwed five a side into the hull and deck as it was seperating a bit amidships portside. Changed out my runners that hold up the superstructure and will be replacing with square rods that I am inserting from one side of the hull to the other amidships again. Cleaned out hull and reinstalled battery tray. Changed rudder servo position for better throw and finally hooked up no reciever to servo to bench test. All went well.

Bismarck's exterior is complete. Interior has very little to get it on the water. Throttle servo is made. I would like to make new wiring, but, will use last year's for now. Pump needs to be installed and I need a rack of batteries. Then I can go for a run. Guns are installed in position. Just have to finish package. Will not take long as most has been prepped and have tested cannons .... just needs to be "tucked" away.

More updates as I can and pics/video to follow.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Excellent Admiral Sparrow.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

Prepped batteries and beginning electrical setup.... no brainer here. I have one battery for the pump and two as drive system. All wiring is complete... just gonna get everything in place and start testing today. Will keep you updated. May be modifying your tray Curt. Not sure yet.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

You already seen the Indy movie? Cooool. I forget what the tray looks like. What did I make it out of? I don't remember. Got a pic to throw here?

Speaking of Bismarcks. I purchased a new transmitter battery.A Futaba modified to fit my Airtronics TX. Tested it and the Tx is Alive!

Going to test the servos in Bis. With luck I won't need to replace them and I can just do cosmetic work on the main weather deck.

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

Indy Indy Indy!!!! Well ok.... I've only seen it twice in 16 hours... Yes.... it was really good. Took me back when I was a young teen enjoying Indy doing his thing... think it maybe Admiral Indy for now? :)

Very nice work there Stokomoto! Keep her up. This is a Bismarck thread... we can talk about more than mine in here! heheheheh LOL THe tray was made from foam and election sign! LOL

Talk soon good buddy.... wiring will be complete tommorrow and ready for water!

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I remember..the scrap material..sheesh! Go economy I say there ole boy. Lol

Ok since this is a Bismarck thread...heres my update. My transmitter worked. I fired up the ole Biz. Sadly the throttle switch went Schoizo, and the servo to fire the fwd cannons is complety inert. The rudder servo is fine and the aft cannons servo is working fine. The Poppets are a horrible encrusted lime green. EEEYEEEWWWWW. The Radio box got to go. I may replace it with a new one most likely as it worked well in it's location. Good think I kept that large one from the dollah store..lol.

The Motor. The beast came back to life. Only on 6v.I need to purchase a new battery 12v. Pump is fine. All cannons fired.

Heres the plan

Hull interior refit. Strip out the guts except for the drive system and rudder system. Install new Armor sheet, new radio box, new valves. The hoses are still fairly new.Install new battery trays. Install new radio equipment. Get a new radio.

Radio. I been toying with the idea of getting a spectrum. I thought about using it for Bis and tirpitz but since I got to get extra servos for Tirpitz anyway might as well just get a new Futaba 4 ch for Bis only. I can get a SPECTRUM later for Tirptiz.

Bis will hit the water later this summer. The internal refit actually won't take that long.

Can't wait to get "OLD&BUSTED" back in action.

Curt

7. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Curt won't you need more than a 4 channel, I cannot run my Tirpitz on a 4 channel how are you going to do it?

8. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Curt and Craig, you two have been spending too much time talking. You both are to long winded.

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

Thanks Chuck.

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

O.B.Bis VS N.H.Bis

That would be sweet................... You can set up a Bis on a four channel Chris. Trottle, Rudder, Stern and Forward guns (porcupine). Pump on a float switch or as part of the fourth servo.....

11. Chris Easterbrook

Would all the stren guns fire at once as well as the foreward, doesn't seem very practicle unless you have a quad mount in the stern all pointing in the same dirction.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

BTW: SAW INDY... LOVED IT!!![:D]

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

No Chris that would give you a control of each Turret..... don't quite know which way you are going with that. If you used a three channel.... you'd have no choice but forward and aft. If you only use three turrets you can still have the pump on manual and run on a four channel....

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

Indy was great Curt. I will see it again! As far as Bismarck.... dizzy spells and headaches have kept me from getting at him.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)] Take your time buddy. I reexamined the interior of OB Bismarck. If I can remove the 2 servos without disturbing the receivor and the electrical switches wiring harness, then I can keep the box. I figured out a new interior layout. I can get my new large 12,12amphr battery sideways across the hull bottom, the co2 tank would sit in the middle of the keel just in front of the main drive battery. Bracking either side of the tank would be a 6v 12 ampr battery, both tied for 6v 24amps of dedidicated pump power. This will keep the heaviest ballast amidships.
    That means Bismarck will have a dedicated drive battery and a dedicated pump battery system. The model is riding light now so this should bring the weight up to 40+ lbs maybe up to 42. It can go up to 44 heavy model weight. All it would mean is installing new battery tray for the main battery and some minor water channeling. I can leave the electrical intact. Also the bearing on the end of the main drive shaft is completly worn so I need to install a new one. There's a loud knocking at the prop. Guess over a 1000 runs on the water will do that to a bearing..lol.

If this work I can have Bis on the water in June.

[:D]

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:p]My set up is this. Servo run operates Turret A/B, SERVO 2 Operates Turret C/D(DUALS), Servo 3 operates Throttle switches fwd/rvs
    Servo 4 operates Rudder/Pump

[;)]

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

Great work Curt. I will be backing away from RC for a while as my intrest is wanning and I have too much personal crap happening right now with getting over the accident. Dealing with insurance companies, lawyers, applying for school and moving to New Brunswick. I think most people have noticed the back away.... Well, I will keep up with A.R.C.C. cause I said I'd help... as far as the rest I just don't have a feel or place for the hobby right now. The would like to update for my Bismarck... but life happens and the fire I had for a long time is almost out. I find it almost quiet in this neck of the woods. No talk of battles... a repeat of last year. So I think I'll pack the boat up for now.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress Captain.

18. Chris Easterbrook

Sorry to hear that Craig hope you get everything back on track soon.

19. JRodgers

JRodgers Member

Ok craig.. you leave.. I leave ..

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

No problem buddy. Take a break then get righ back y'hear? You NEED to get grounded for a while. Once your life is back on track you can pick it up again. We'll all be waiting here.