Bismarck Winter Work

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by tgalx3, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

It didnt get messed up. I think I can make it better and quieter. Loud boats bother me.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Better is good, quieter is good. Those of us who use gearboxes though accept that there will be some noise :)

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Oh I know. I meant for my boat. I like my Bismarck nice and quiet!

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

To each is own as well.

5. NickMyers

quiet ships are creepy, theyre like ghosts on the water :D

6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Oh YA!!! Especially a six foot long ghost.

7. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

tommorrow is sharhorst day, going to work with pete on his boat and trie to get it skinned.

8. NickMyers

Epoxy is setting up in the Derf's hull right now to seal the new stuffing tubes in place. After that she just basically just needs patching and paint.

9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Im going to try to get the pump and new prop shaft done. Does anybody have copper tubing I can use for a new coil?

10. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

no copper tubing here, have not done that kind of work yet. did ge the sharnhorst skined, but no luck on on the armor belt thing, one on top of the other. was too hard cold not get lined up. skinned like before. way to fustrating to do and time consuming at least for me:(. also started putting the sub deck in the tirpitz.

11. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I finished the prop shaft, pump, and some cosmetic work to the turrets. I want to be sheeting here in the next day or so. I take pictures and show you how I did my armor belt. Maybe itll make things easier for the tirpitz. Six feet of Balsa wood and armor belt can be a huge pain in the butt!

12. NickMyers

Well, its fairly important that the belt be visible, since you only get stringers where the hullform requires them - such as the clearly visible edge of an armor belt.

If you choose not to make the belt visible, you're really not supposed to get the stringer either, since an invisible armor belt doesn't require any alterations to the hull form. Same thing for those of us with casemates - if we don't model them, we don't get the hard area around them.

Not going to ask you to rip off the Scharn's skin right now, but just saying - it should be done right. With longer belts you may find it works best to do it in sections. I tend to dry-fit my balsa, mark and cut the pieces before actually attaching them. Have to be careful to make sure don't have more than 1/8" overlap, and that it is only over the stringer itself, if you're using the overlap method. Definitely something that requires patience, but its the cost for stringers.

13. NickMyers

Alex - I have copper but the soonest I'd have any sort of time to go anywhere/meet up would be Friday afternoon or maybe sometime Saturday. You may just want to stop by a Lowes or Home Despot if you'd want it before then.

Have you made a coil before? I've never managed it successfully... After a point I declared it to be a waste of copper to continue trying and went back to ordering.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Ya Im gone this weekend. Ill go to home depot. Is it 1/4"?

No I have never tried it. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Should be a fun project though.

15. NickMyers

Yeah, 1/4" OD, comes in coils in the plumbing section. Usually in a pretty flat looking cardboard box.

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed I know the stuff. Wish me luck! lol!

17. NickMyers

Good luck!

(PS: I don't recommend trying to form an entire coil in a spring bender at once, tried that, couldn't get the spring back off...)

18. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Sounds good! Ill keep it in mind.

19. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Since you are asking about copper mags. I would save yourself the money and just buy a coil mag. Straight mags are easy, Bending straight mags still pretty easy. BUT, copper tubing is a pain to bend that tight for that many turns.

20. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

I will take the help with the armor belt on the tirpitz. totally lost on how to do it, need a demonstration or pics something.... thx