Photos Bismarck's last stand

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by froggyfrenchman, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Matt,
    other then old Rodney and kgv, there wad heavy cruiserd Norfolk and Dotsetshire, you also had 7 DD's ad well. thing about it..
    Nikki

2. NASAAN101

Matt,
    Other then old Rodney and KG5! There were two heavy cruisers Norfolk and Dotsetshire! But you also had 7 Destroyer's Mashona, Cossack, Sikh, Zulu, Maori, Tartar, and the Polish destroyer Piorun as well. thing about it.. it opens oup other ideas!!!
    Nikki

3. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I found this off a site and when to get your take on it: The highlight of Rodney's career was undoubtedly when she fought Bismarck. This famous action, in which battleships King George V (Admiral Tovey's flagship) and Rodney finally confronted the long suffering and damaged Bismarck, has been recounted many times. I am not going to go into it again here, except to point out that while Bismarck had been torpedoed in the stern and her rudders jammed, her fighting potential was undiminished. In the final engagement KG V, being the flagship, is most often mentioned, but my research leads me to believe that it was instead Rodney which was primarily responsible for the defeat of Bismarck. The 1922 treaty battleship quickly overwhelmed the 41,700t pride of the Kreigsmarine with her accurate 16in gunfire, pounding her into flaming junk (with some help from KGV). Bismarck never hit Rodney at all. By the end of the battle, Rodney had closed the range to the point she was able to fire two torpedoes at Bismarck, as mentioned above. One appeared to hit, but had no appreciable effect on Bismarck. There is no way a slow (22 knots at the time she engaged Bismarck) second generation battleship like Rodney should have been able to catch, let alone out shoot, a new third generation battleship approximately 1/3 larger than herself. Yet indeed it happened, and Rodney proved that once she got an adversary within range of her guns, her odd design was quite satisfactory after all. yet that part is so funny.. :p:D
    Nikki