blast shielding

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Mark, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

I'm coming to the point where I need to start thinking about what type of material will be used for the shield. One problem I'm facing is the contours of some of the ribs, they make some interesting bends. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should use?? One thought I had while installing some new shades in the house this weekend, why not use the scraps from the shades? They're long enough to go from one end of the ship to the other in unbroken lengths, and the material seems tough while being flexible. Anyone use this before to any success?

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I use foam tool drawer liner, like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=90013-46478-91140&lpage=none

It's also sold as padding to hold flat pieces in place on a workbench while being sanded, routed, etc. The stuff is easy to cut with scissors, conforms to any shape easily, can be stuffed into tight areas, doesn't cost or weigh much, & best of all stops flying ball bearings from hitting stuff that I don't want to get hit. In addition to hanging from the cap rails, it can be wrapped/draped over anything else that you might want to give extra protection. I've been using it happily for several years.

JM

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I use shower liner. Flexible, cheap, and tough as old leather.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

"Blast Shields? We don't need no stinkin' Blast Shields!"

My brother uses 1/64" thick lexan plastic for his blast shields. You have to keep it loose so it can flex and absorb the impact of a shot, but it works great. Another easy option that is similar is the plastic from 2-liter soda bottles.

I personally don't use blast shields, because all my boat guts are built solidly enough to resist anything that other ships can throw at it. The only point of having blast shields in my ship is to prevent shots coming out the other side, but since my guts are carefully positioned to intercept shots, it's never been an issue for me. However if you have ANY doubts as to your ship's intestinal fortitude then you should put good blast shields to protect both sides of your ship.

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I also use the shower pan liner.
    Sold at Home Depot.
    You can buy it by the foot.
    Flexible, and easy to install with glue, or screws.
    Mikey

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I also use shower pan liner.... It works great, looks great & is REALLY easy to use.

7. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the others, I like the shower pan liner.
    I used to use concrete. 8(
    Bobo

8. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

CONCRETE!!!!??? ahaha.. I hope you are kidding! Would that be for a destroyer or a light cruiser?

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Gotta be a light cruiser. Destroyers are too small for blast shields :D

10. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I use 1.0 - 1.5 mm polystyrene sheet hung from brass bolts installed part way down the ribs. The ribs have to be at least 1/8" thick to install the bolts securely. The bolts are 1" long and are screwed into slightly smaller diameter holes drilled in the ribs. On the inner side there's a short spacer made from vinyl tubing - the polystyrene 'armour' butts up against it and is secured by a nut.

There's quite a bit of armour movement below bolt level, so it gives and most BBs fall to the bottom of the hull. Point blank fire occasionally penetrates the polystyrene. The armour is in several sections so damaged ones can be removed for patching or replacement by loosening a few nuts.

I'm switching to lexan sheeting in future - it's more resistant to penetration at close range. For examples of my armour system check out the Canarias and Courageous, now operating in the U.S.

Bob

11. captin sobor

captin sobor Member

making a blast sheild for a destroyer is really hard!

12. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

I use kitchen shelf liner as it is lightweight, very thin (important for small ships) and with a finer mesh than foam tool drawer liner it resists shots going through it and cost a 1/3 the price to boot. Loose hang it from the caprail and life is good. I've not seen or heard of it ever being penetrated, and the thick tool drawer liner with a thick "pattern" does get penetrated once in a while. One issue with the kitchen shelf liner or with the thick tool drawer liner, they need both need backed with something more substantial like aluminum gutter guard in sensitive areas like the bow, since the shelf liner will move a little in operation. If you have a thin cruiser bow like on a Des Moines, a shot could dislodge the opposite side's balsa otherwise.

I'm very happy with the kitchen shelf liner, it's been in my cruiser for 6 years without incident. I did reinforce the bow's blast shielding with gutter guard, which is also very lightweight. (and Gutter guard makes for very quick/easy cage masts. :) )

Shelf liner $5 from any bath/kitchen:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=58697-133-00-26279&lpage=none

Aluminum gutter guard (I typically get it in roll form):
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=157336-205-854054&lpage=none

13. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

If it's a really small vessel, you could selectively shield only key areas using pices of 2 litre soda pop bottles, fastened to the caprail with small screws; I'm contemplating whether to go with something different on my Z-25 such as selectively-installed polystyrene sheet.