Blucher v. other ACRs

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Anvil_x, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

lol I need to just go to your workshop and look at the mountains of boats during the next icebreaker.

That's the russian PDN with the simple hull, right? I think @Bob Pottle is studying on making a hull for it at some point.
    That'd be a really cool backup boat if that new rule passes.

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

It is an Austro-Hungarian PDN. Really more of a semi-dreadnought. I have one as well. Built on an Aussie hull

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I haven't checked out the Taubmann's plan list in a few years, I bought plans 15-20 years ago when he was still alive and recall they weren't drawn by him but were from multiple other sources, some like the Goff plans being not very accurate (especially the frames) and others superb like HMS Dorsetshire in the 1930s (David Metcalf's I think).

4. Bob Pottle

To put the bow rudder in 15" gun WWI monitor HMS Erebus I had to mount 2 vertical shafts aft of the rudder post and connect them with gears. The one furthest aft was far enough from the hull sides to take a rudder arm.

5. Bob Pottle

I built and operated ACs Minotaur and Black Prince, which were decent in combat with good hull volume and 26 sec. speed. I thought they were better than my Espana, mainly because no one wanted to exchange BBs with Espana and she was too slow to catch anything. ACs were not popular when I made the mold: I sold only 2 Black Prince hulls before selling the mold, which a few years later ended up with Strike Models.

I don't have any interest in making another AC mold.

6. Bob Pottle

I have good hull plans for the pre-dreadnought Imperator Pavel and will put it on my list of molds to make if there's enough interest to sell 5 hulls, or if someone was interested in buying the mold.

Anvil_x likes this.
  7. Anvil_x

@Bob Pottle , I may have need of this wisdom soon. Could you perhaps, if you have some, post pictures of your bow rudder solution on my USS Idaho build thread? (or here, that'd be cool too, just want to sort by topic relevance)

The Idaho's stern isn't very tight, but I may need to think a bit more 3 dimensionally in placing my rudder system than on Texas, and having such pictures on hand would help set the gears turning.

8. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

The Aussie guy makes a Blucher hull. Very reasonable prices, just long lead times due to shipping. I go with Bob about a PDN for a secondary though. You get a sidemount and they aren't that common either.

9. Anvil_x

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

I'm still partial to making a wooden hull. As previously stated, it's at best a FY 20/21 project from the get-go, and I have one active build, a Battlecruiser awaiting a complete reconstruct, and a small, angry dreadnought with delusions of grandeur and love of attention.

I've handled some of Bob's work and found it to be of excellent quality--My dad's christmas present last year, and I am planning to, before I hit my max boat capacity, get one of his hulls for myself.

But the Blucher's on my bucket list, which someday shall receive serious attention. Maybe if/when I go to the Axis side after my completion of my study of the Standard-Type Battleship, I'll build a Bayern with the Blucher as a backup. The future holds so many possibilities, and it'll be exciting to see what happens!

Renodemona and Panzer like this.
  10. Bob Pottle

I didn't take any photos of the bow rudder system and sold the Erebus partly built. It's in Curt Stokes' workshop in Newfoundland.